• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welcome Josh.

Are you referring to a shoe repair shop at Chifley Tower? I know there's one up on the 1st floor, same level as all the food stalls. Is it that one, or another one I don't know about?

Never tried the guy out, but he's also got Ethan Newton (ex Armoury's) endorsement.

dammit

Reaction score
Hoping for some advice on formal attire. I've got a wedding to go to this wkend which the dress code is formal. I checked with the bride that I know well, and she doesn't expect people to wear tuxes or bow ties etc...

I don't own a tuxedo either so what I was thinking about doing was wearing a navy business suit I have (Ben Sherman Kings fit... single breasted, two button front, side vents) which is navy, plus wear a white dinner shirt and maybe chuck in a white pocket square. Don't know if I should be wearing a bow tie or standard tie, or just go tie-less... do you all think this will be dressy enough for a dinner reception?

I also don't know with the shirt to buy, whether to get a wing collar or standard collar, and one with those patterned fronts or just plain? I just don't want it to look like I've gotten dressed up to go to work if I'm wearing a business suit. Do you reckon that this is a normal occurrence that people wear business type suits to weddings etc nowadays, or is it not ideal?

FredAstaire1899

Reaction score
All I can advise is that I don't like 'mixing' of codes. Such as a formal shirt made of marcella, wing collar or black satin bow tie with a business suit. However, you may hint upon more formal themes.

For instance, I think you'd be better off with a cream or silver satin tie (you could look at the Henry Carter silver grenadine), and a burgundy/red/cream silk pocket square (even better a square with a velvet texture or similar). You don't necessarily need a white shirt, a soft pink or blue poplin/pinpoint would be fine. Perhaps don't wear a belt even. Spit shine shoes and done.

Decaz

Reaction score
Hoping for some advice on formal attire. I've got a wedding to go to this wkend which the dress code is formal. I checked with the bride that I know well, and she doesn't expect people to wear tuxes or bow ties etc...

I don't own a tuxedo either so what I was thinking about doing was wearing a navy business suit I have (Ben Sherman Kings fit... single breasted, two button front, side vents) which is navy, plus wear a white dinner shirt and maybe chuck in a white pocket square. Don't know if I should be wearing a bow tie or standard tie, or just go tie-less... do you all think this will be dressy enough for a dinner reception?

I also don't know with the shirt to buy, whether to get a wing collar or standard collar, and one with those patterned fronts or just plain? I just don't want it to look like I've gotten dressed up to go to work if I'm wearing a business suit. Do you reckon that this is a normal occurrence that people wear business type suits to weddings etc nowadays, or is it not ideal?
Check this out, http://putthison.com/post/341034673/weddingattireforguests. Make note this is for american weddings. Navy suit will be fine and don't go wing collar.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good advice above. Sorry to say, but if the invitation says "formal" and then the bride "doesn't expect people to turn up in a tux", it's immediately clear they are utterly clueless. (Unless of course she is intimating, correctly, that for a day wedding a black tux would be a terrible faux pas and all attending males will therefore be wearing a morning suit with pearl-pinned ascot and carnation.)

Just wear a suit. Wing collars are verboten, bow ties are perhaps inadvisable; wear plain, soporific fabrics; monochrome tie; and yeah, a white puffed silk pocket square and carnation might just add that bit of perinuptial je ne sais quois.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dammit:: a recent wedding was " smart formal" . now we here know that is a meaningless term, but on careful interegationgh the yioung lovers it became clesr they menat no shorts, things or t shirts. And hoped that some would wear suits and ties.

Cant go on... Somone has stolen my spell checker on this nexus 7. How to i get it to return??????? Casnt find it at all!!!!!!

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This drill thing doesn't augur well. Not a bit.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dammit:: a recent wedding was " smart formal" . now we here know that is a meaningless term, but on careful interegationgh the yioung lovers it became clesr they menat no shorts, things or t shirts. And hoped that some would wear suits and ties.

Cant go on... Somone has stolen my spell checker on this nexus 7. How to i get it to return??????? Casnt find it at all!!!!!!

thumb fail

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For all you Topy heathens.

http://croquissartoriaux.tumblr.com...er-about-ten-bearings-i-will-recommend-you-to

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Head over to this link* to download SwiftKey 3. Download and install it, then follow the prompts to enable it.

*If it doesn't automatically go to it, when it pops up asking you what you wish to do, click "Play Store"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics