• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug11

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can buy long socks (the ones that cover your calves) in Melbourne ?

sydneystyle

Reaction score
You mean - Coombs Shoe Service at the strand ? I have been using them for quite some times now. They are one of the best in city.
Anyway try using them - I havn't used them. These guys over charge on their shoe care products.
Brice's Shoe Repairs
Shop 1, 155 Castlereagh St

Is that who I think it is? Coombs?

Yup, but i don't want to caste the business in a bad light as many others have seemingly had some great work there. Thanks for the Brice's suggestion - I'll check out the place this week.

Another question if you will indulge me (I realise I've been asking a lot - hopefully once I've increased my knowledge I'll be able to help others and if I'm brave enough I'll post a few pics):

I recently got a bunch of C&J shoes in the 348 last size 8 (UK). I also ordered some of the AE shoe trees in medium. When I put these trees into the shoes I have to compress the length quite a bit - not quite fully but close to 2/3 of the way. I feel as though this is putting a lot of pressure on the heel. Am I unnecesarily worrying about stretching or should I go for the small size shoe trees? Anyone with experience/similar issue?

If consensus is they are too big, I have 3 medium AE shoe trees for sale within Australia
smile.gif

Thanks again guys

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Ha, the shoulders. My first properly thought out purchase was a Canali suit -- with some necessary tailoring, I love this thing. I did, however, buy it on a pretty great sale.
Oh I didn't mean hard was bad, it's just that they are very padded and only look good on a certain body shape. Some people live by Canali. Steve Carell looks pretty good in Canali during Crazy Stupid Love for instance.

drebin

Reaction score
Oh I didn't mean hard was bad, it's just that they are very padded and only look good on a certain body shape. Some people live by Canali. Steve Carell looks pretty good in Canali during Crazy Stupid Love for instance.

You are right, though, that they are kind of hard. After wearing it for a couple of weeks [edit: not daily, though], it quickly became obvious that my second suit would also be a Canali.

Last edited:

drebin

Reaction score
Fixed the mean thing you said about Canali. You can get Canali Exclusivo for $800, and regular Canali for a lot less, at Azzarro. Good value at that price any time.

Is Azzarro the kind of place where, say, they have a sale and people just fly in from wherever to take part? People who are interested in OTR -- i.e. guys like me. I once emailed them about getting some prices but I never heard back...

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winter in Melbourne Spring 17C today and rain. I was at a great birthday party for a 95 year old guy.
Lots, 100+ of people at a reception centre - he still lives at home looking after himself.

Journeyman - I posted this because I suspect the shirt is the same as the LE one you posted a while back. Its a blue university stripe on white and oxford cloth. I also have another one with a nice subdued wine/rust stripe.

I posted because these shirts were a surprise - I think I only ordered them a couple of years ago - because Ms fxh (aka The Handbrake) was getting a parcel and they were on sale + 30% off. I don't have many non irons - and most of them are not good - but these two shirts have turned out to be very nice - they are soft and thick and have a good roll etc. I'd nearly go as far as to say they are as good or better than the famous Hyde Park must irons.

Trouble is I don't think LE has them anymore. The ones I have are marked on collar as " No Iron Original Oxford"

I can't find the item number off the tag on seam on the LE site - these no-iron-pattern-supima-oxford-dress-shirts seem to be close - but I'm not sure and theres no nice plain blue or white or any other stripe except blue

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-lon...oxford-dress-shirt~233646_59.html?sku_0=::ZBH

You got any comments?

I guess I could email them (they are incredibly helpful on live chat and email) but it seems more social to ask here.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're not the only one; it's the recent influx of new members, some of which are asking obscenely stupid questions and making pointless posts.

As I've said before I don't mind any sort of question - especially from new members - some questions have to be silly and simple - hell where would blahman be without me - not much of this knowledge is genetically determined. Plus theres a lot of misinformation about.

My problem is questions that aren't fully formed or grammatical or ones that don't make sense. And I like people to follow through and ask for clarification or expansion.

I'm happy to answer almost anything - and I think so are others - but lately some of the posts arent clear to me if they are questions or statements or half formed thoughts..or.........

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Fixed the mean thing you said about Canali. You can get Canali Exclusivo for $800, and regular Canali for a lot less, at Azzarro. Good value at that price any time.
Ah sorry, I'm a Sydneysider and there's no way you'd be having Canali here at that price. It would be great if someone from Melbourne could write something detailed on Azzarro and if someone from Brisbane could write something on Deerstyle.

Something else that would solve a lot of problems: a page on learnings and tips for made to measure, in particular P Johnson. I'd love to hear about people's experiences with certain fabrics and features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads