• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any good cobblers in the Sydney area from experience? I'm looking at getting a few shoes topy'd.

Cheers

topy doesn't require too much skill so most cobblers could do the job fine.

whereabouts in sydney are you?

lennier

Reaction score

Some one was asking about MJ Bale lapel width before and I just happened to do a WAYWRN post in mine, so thought i'd share for everyone interested. This is the mudgee weave. They are thinner than Herringbone for example, but not by much, maybe 1cm. Anyway, make up your own mind. Might look a bit strange with a 9cm tie but 6-8cm width ties will be fine.

Just the angle Jason or is the gorge quite high on those lapels? Looks nice overall!

sydneystyle

Reaction score
topy doesn't require too much skill so most cobblers could do the job fine.

whereabouts in sydney are you?
Had a really bad experience with the cobbler in the Strand Arcade in the city so just wanting to avoid a repeat of that. Located around the city area.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had a really bad experience with the cobbler in the Strand Arcade in the city so just wanting to avoid a repeat of that. Located around the city area.

You mean - Coombs Shoe Service at the strand ? I have been using them for quite some times now. They are one of the best in city.
Anyway try using them - I havn't used them. These guys over charge on their shoe care products.
Brice's Shoe Repairs
Shop 1, 155 Castlereagh St

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
If you decide to go with Luxire, get the cheapest option available first so you can dial in the measurements. The first one or two shirts are never perfect; this is the nature of online MTM.

Will do - thanks.

Michael,
Ultimately, the best shirt for you will be whichever you feel fits you best, in the style that you prefer, at a price that you are willing to pay.
As an example, a colleague of mine only wears Rhodes & Beckett shirts as they fit his body shape very well and he likes the collar style and the colours. Therefore, even though it's possible to get other shirts more cheaply, he has no interest in trying as he's found his sweet spot - a shirt that fits well in a style that he likes, at a price that he's willing to pay.
Of course, deciding just what style you do actually like can take a bit of refining, and can also change over time. I used to like cutaway collars and French cuffs, but now I gravitate more towards either wide spread, or button-down collars and button cuffs.
I've had shirts from both Charles Tyrwhitt and Rhodes and Beckett in the past, and I find that the collars are a bit too hard or stiff for my tastes - I prefer a softer, unfused collar. However, that's purely a personal preference and some people like stiffer collars, particularly as they tend to stand up more when unbuttoned.
Just to throw another RTW name into the mix, you could have a look at TM Lewin, too. They're often viewed as being very similar to Charles Tyrwhitt, although some people say that their shirts are slightly better. I've never had a TM Lewin shirt, so I can't comment personally. I think that they now have a store in Sydney as well as shirts in DJs, so you could actually head along and have a look at the TM Lewin store, as well as looking at their website.
As has been noted above, there are several different factors that influence the way a fabric feels, but in general, the higher the thread count (2 x 100s, 2 x 120s etc), the finer and softer the fabric will feel, particularly in a poplin.
If you want a fabric that feels denser and more rigid, you might prefer a different weave, such as an oxford or a twill. Don't forget that, in addition to the classic oxford weave, there are also variants such as pinpoint oxford and royal oxford which can look dressier than a standard oxford cloth shirt. A white, or a light blue pinpoint oxford shirt can make an excellent dress shirt. I think that the best thing to do is to probably go and try on as many shirts as possible in lots of different types of fabric so as to see what you like most!

JM

Thanks for the excellently written post. I have found it most informative.

I really see the logic in everything you have written. I popped into Rhodes and Beckett as the boutique was on my way. The Oxford weave was quite interesting. Feeling and trying different shirts is what I will do. Herringbone I will try on next.

Once again, thanks for the advice. I wish some of these posts could be stickied!

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Just the angle Jason or is the gorge quite high on those lapels? Looks nice overall!
MJ Bale suits have very high gorges. The suits I have seen always seemed to have skinner lapels than the ones Jason is wearing, but it could be because he looks rather more slight/fit than I.

I'm of the opinion that a high gorge looks good on someone with sloped shoulders like Jason, but not on shoulders which are more horizontal as it makes the shoulders look too broad on people who often already have broad shoulders.

Binny

Reaction score
Hey guys

Long time lurker here. Ive browsed this forum long enough and the time has come to try some (double) monks... but I'm nervous that I'll buy them and not wear them... I like how they look but Ive never really seen them worn and I'm worried that on a 20 something bloke it might look a bit strange, and I dont want people to rib me for being gay or something. I know you should do what you think is okay and not worry what ppl say but is there some practical advice about whether it might be too fashion forward amongst the general public and tradies in the street or what have you...

How many of you guys have them and actually wear them? Anyone have some pics?

miketcooper

Reaction score

Same here.
1st visit, the lady at the counter, whilst still chewing her lunch, suggested that the shoe trees in my shoes (a pair of cheap but well fitting Woodlore epics) were too tight at the toe (they are not and its an expanding design) and were stretching the toes. The solution? buy one of their adjustable, one size fits all trees with a really slim heel section. When asked whether she thought the fact that the toe was not filled at all on my size 12UK shoes and the heel was being visibly streched by their shoe tree, would be a problem, she said "not at all".

They made sure to point out a small mark in the suede next to the welt when accepting the shoes, but then returned them with a noticeable glue stain on the throat. I didn't argue but made my decision right there and then - never again.

This might just be a one off experience, but I do wish Sullivan's were still open. That gentleman was excellent.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys

Long time lurker here. Ive browsed this forum long enough and the time has come to try some (double) monks... but I'm nervous that I'll buy them and not wear them... I like how they look but Ive never really seen them worn and I'm worried that on a 20 something bloke it might look a bit strange, and I dont want people to rib me for being gay or something. I know you should do what you think is okay and not worry what ppl say but is there some practical advice about whether it might be too fashion forward amongst the general public and tradies in the street or what have you...

How many of you guys have them and actually wear them? Anyone have some pics?

1. Don't buy something you don't think you'll be comfortable wearing. Never a good idea in my opinion.

2. You could always get a pair in black, they will be a lot more subtle. Just avoid tan etc.

3. If you're worried about what the tradies are going to say, you're probably in the wrong place...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads