• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I felt mildly self conscious the first time I wore my dub monks. I quickly realised no-one gave a ****.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

I felt mildly self conscious the first time I wore my dub monks. I quickly realised no-one gave a ****.

Indeed, interestingly they seem to gain more compliments than my other shoes but I suspect it's the simpson last more than it is the presence of a couple of buckles.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am weighing up my monk options at the moment. Not self conscious about wearing them, but trying to decide between black calf or brown suede.

Black is a nice formal shoe with a twist but no sure if I could wear in any more casual situations.

Brown suede good for suits and denim, but not sure if they would overly casual in more formal situations.

I think I really need to decide whether I need a new pair of casual shoe or another pair for during the week. I am thinking the latter as I like the look of the Carmina suede loafer, either in the Simpson last which I saw Mr Nelson in the other day (looked great) - http://www.thearmourystore.com/shoes/carmina-simpson-10082-loafer-suede-brown or the string loafers - http://www.thearmourystore.com/shoes/carmina-uetam-80285-loafer-suede-natural

How blessed I am that these are the issues deliberate on...

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
1. Don't buy something you don't think you'll be comfortable wearing. Never a good idea in my opinion.
2. You could always get a pair in black, they will be a lot more subtle. Just avoid tan etc.
3. If you're worried about what the tradies are going to say, you're probably in the wrong place...
Really? I have considered dub monks as well, but I definitely couldn't do black. I think black is far more noticeable and a little too investment banker wannabe. When I see guys in brown ones they can look a little like they're trying too hard, but can pull it off as the shoes still look casual enough not to look like a douche. I've never seen a guy in black dub monks, but I imagine he'd look like one of several things:

(a) A pirate
(b) An 80s wall st banker
(c) Maybe, just maybe, like this guy:

So in summary, go brown unless you satisfy (c)...

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? I have considered dub monks as well, but I definitely couldn't do black. I think black is far more noticeable and a little too investment banker wannabe. When I see guys in brown ones they can look a little like they're trying too hard, but can pull it off as the shoes still look casual enough not to look like a douche. I've never seen a guy in black dub monks, but I imagine he'd look like one of several things:

(a) A pirate
(b) An 80s wall st banker
(c) Maybe, just maybe, like this guy: 

So in summary, go brown unless you satisfy (c)... 

I disagree. I think black monks can look great. Saw a chap in the supermarket the other day in a navy suit and black monk and, despite the lack of a pocket square, it was a good look.

A few different possible looks from a quick internet browse.

That said I love brown calf and suede too.

Last edited:

elvish

Reaction score
just buy some red or green slim chinos and wear oxblood or chestnut without socks. that's what all the italians are doing (from rome north).

member fxh is also a major fan of the sock-less, rolled up chino, too.

Last edited:

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Quote:

Not saying they can't look good, just harder to pull off. I think I was probably a bit harsh as in my mind I can see thousands of young pasty white guys or spiked hair asian dudes in black skinny suits wearing garish black dub monks. Terrifying.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
i personally dont like monks because i dont like how the buckle is attached via elastic and moves and hence doesnt feel snug on my feet so i offloaded my dubs.

that said i reckon black suede will look pimp in a single monk ...

otherwise if u get brown they look far better when they've had the **** kicked out of them...

ive seen guys wearing brand new dub monks top two buckles undone and way too try-hard.

Self-consciousness always happens when you are evolving a style or trying something new. if you are going from sneakers and t-shirts to dubmonks and ocbd's then its going to be an obvious statement and will invite comments from those who know you well. So you have two options - ditch old wardrobe and start fresh, take all the comments up front and move on. Or 2) gradually ease pieces in here and there that can slowly evolve your wardrobe and than after 6-12 months hopefully you have accomplished the same task. Dont worry about random tradies etc (unless you are a tradie inwhich case I recommend a pair of steel cap boots) as they dont know who you are or how you use to dress. As long as you seem comfortable in your clothes, noone will question

when you have stepped up to the dubmonks ive got a pair of bright green pants you can wear with them:)

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That said I love brown calf and suede too.

Not to go off-topic, but how do people get away with wearing their trousers so short?

I thought the general practice was the very shortest one should go is to 'just' eliminate the break at the hem when standing erect. Even then, socks are on show when walking along.

When this guy crosses his legs, half his shin will be showing!

elvish

Reaction score

when you have stepped up to the dubmonks ive got a pair of bright green pants you can wear with them:)

I just saw your webstore; are the pants, the fabric, or both made in italy?

elvish

Reaction score

Not to go off-topic, but how do people get away with wearing their trousers so short?

they don't give a fu*k what others think is how...

and, in places like nyc or paris/milan/florence no-one questions.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys

Long time lurker here. Ive browsed this forum long enough and the time has come to try some (double) monks... but I'm nervous that I'll buy them and not wear them... I like how they look but Ive never really seen them worn and I'm worried that on a 20 something bloke it might look a bit strange, and I dont want people to rib me for being gay or something. I know you should do what you think is okay and not worry what ppl say but is there some practical advice about whether it might be too fashion forward amongst the general public and tradies in the street or what have you...

How many of you guys have them and actually wear them? Anyone have some pics?

Not such good photos, perhaps, but have a look at my post from yesterday, which I've quoted below - I'm wearing a pair of light brown Santoni double monks with a plain captoe. I have a couple of friends who have the Crockett & Jones Lowndes double monk in brown and they are lovely shoes, too.

As others have said, most people won't notice and, when someone does, it's more likely than not that they'll think that your shoes look great.

Today's outfit - I decided to wear an orange knit tie in honour of the recent knit tie feeding frenzy in the Oz Members thread!

Details:
- RAF blue cotton suit by Deer Style, with waist patch pockets;
- Light blue, end-on-end shirt by Deer Style;
- Orange knit tie by Ascot for Ben Silver;
- Herringbone silk pocket square; and
- Santoni FAM double monks.

And here is another photo of me wearing the same double monks - although again, you can't really see the shoes very clearly.

Gents, given the warm, spring weather that Brisbane is experiencing, I broke out the orange chino pants today, and paired them with chestnut double monks (Santoni), blue mini-gingham check shirt (Borrelli), blue-brown knit tie (Gallo for Kent Wang), and French blue blazer with brown suede elbow patches (Herringbone).
I have (hopefully) attached a photo of pants with coffee below, a la Phat Guido:

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rob, stop posting that picture. Almost everyday I visit the O&J website just to look at the green chinos, navy jacket, white shirt and driving mocs. I go in this trance for about 30 seconds. It is so good, it isn't healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads