Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sydneystyle

sydneystyle Member

Any good cobblers in the Sydney area from experience? I'm looking at getting a few shoes topy'd.

Cheers

2. sliq

sliq Senior member

topy doesn't require too much skill so most cobblers could do the job fine.

whereabouts in sydney are you?

3. lennier

lennier Senior member

Just the angle Jason or is the gorge quite high on those lapels? Looks nice overall!

4. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Cross post, thought you guy may be interested. Dont forget to use the Style Forum "SF10" discount code.

Full range of pocket squares now in stock. Starting at $60, made in Italy with hand rolled edges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. sydneystyle

sydneystyle Member

Had a really bad experience with the cobbler in the Strand Arcade in the city so just wanting to avoid a repeat of that. Located around the city area.

6. Deapht

Deapht Well-Known Member

they are high

7. md2010

md2010 Senior member

You mean - Coombs Shoe Service at the strand ? I have been using them for quite some times now. They are one of the best in city.
    Anyway try using them - I havn't used them. These guys over charge on their shoe care products.
    Brice's Shoe Repairs
    Shop 1, 155 Castlereagh St

8. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Is that who I think it is? Coombs?

9. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Quote:
    Will do - thanks.

JM

Thanks for the excellently written post. I have found it most informative.

I really see the logic in everything you have written. I popped into Rhodes and Beckett as the boutique was on my way. The Oxford weave was quite interesting. Feeling and trying different shirts is what I will do. Herringbone I will try on next.

Once again, thanks for the advice. I wish some of these posts could be stickied!

10. md2010

md2010 Senior member

11. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Thanks Checky. I think I'll take the advice above and drop a couple of kgs and then head in there. I've waited long enough, I reckon.

12. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

MJ Bale suits have very high gorges. The suits I have seen always seemed to have skinner lapels than the ones Jason is wearing, but it could be because he looks rather more slight/fit than I.

I'm of the opinion that a high gorge looks good on someone with sloped shoulders like Jason, but not on shoulders which are more horizontal as it makes the shoulders look too broad on people who often already have broad shoulders.

13. Binny

Binny Member

Hey guys

Long time lurker here. Ive browsed this forum long enough and the time has come to try some (double) monks... but I'm nervous that I'll buy them and not wear them... I like how they look but Ive never really seen them worn and I'm worried that on a 20 something bloke it might look a bit strange, and I dont want people to rib me for being gay or something. I know you should do what you think is okay and not worry what ppl say but is there some practical advice about whether it might be too fashion forward amongst the general public and tradies in the street or what have you...

How many of you guys have them and actually wear them? Anyone have some pics?

14. miketcooper

miketcooper Active Member

Same here.
    1st visit, the lady at the counter, whilst still chewing her lunch, suggested that the shoe trees in my shoes (a pair of cheap but well fitting Woodlore epics) were too tight at the toe (they are not and its an expanding design) and were stretching the toes. The solution? buy one of their adjustable, one size fits all trees with a really slim heel section. When asked whether she thought the fact that the toe was not filled at all on my size 12UK shoes and the heel was being visibly streched by their shoe tree, would be a problem, she said "not at all".

They made sure to point out a small mark in the suede next to the welt when accepting the shoes, but then returned them with a noticeable glue stain on the throat. I didn't argue but made my decision right there and then - never again.

This might just be a one off experience, but I do wish Sullivan's were still open. That gentleman was excellent.

15. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

1. Don't buy something you don't think you'll be comfortable wearing. Never a good idea in my opinion.

2. You could always get a pair in black, they will be a lot more subtle. Just avoid tan etc.

3. If you're worried about what the tradies are going to say, you're probably in the wrong place...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.