• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys I got an email from Italy overnight an opportunity to do a second small run of the Australian members green ties. Basically another client is ordering the same fabric and they will have a few meters left over. I'm checking to see how many it will make up but it may only be 2-4 ties.

I need to let him know by COB tomorrow (Italy time) though. So if you are interested please let me know by PM asap. Price as before is $99.95 with $5 postage and a 20% deposit due at time of order. They will come with next seasons stock early-mid August. To the few that have pm'd me previously I will send you one soon.

Ta
Jason

xiaoli

Reaction score

Don't laugh they have excellent Made in Rumania copies of the Trickers Stowe type boots in the Aldo store in the new Westfields for like AUD250. Either made with Blake or Goodyear not glued.

These ones?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone here experienced in the art of slow cooking? I'd like to try it this weekend.

Spent 20 years as a Chef, what do you have in mind? PM if you want to discuss.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the slow cooking tips.

Dinner at mine on Saturday. Wear your curtained waistband trousers, you're going to need it :D

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What fxh said + it can be more convenient to have the right vessel. We have an old 70s crocpot, which is handy for wet cooking (stews, curries, coq au vin, osso bucco etc) – but of course you can just put a casserole dish in a low oven (but I find the heavy enamelled, cast iron ones – such as Le Creuset - work best). For ‘dry’ cooking – very low oven temps – and it helps to baste/turn a bit as well.

Only other thing is you should be aware of is that, because of the low temps it may not be obvious if you are over cooking something. We like a long-cooked, Greek-style lamb roast. It should be falling off the bone but still moist. If you go too far (and this may not be immediately apparent) it can be a bit stringy and dry - so check in frequently towards the end.
Is this what you mean? Good luck anyway.

When the wife pregnant with the son, she developed a roast lamb fetish. One we still use is a slow cooked leg of lamb, (by the way do you seal the meat first?) I start it at 100c but its placed in the baking tray which I have seal the meat in and then put in a bed of rosemary which I have had soaking for a hour or so. I leave it then for a good 4 hours then in the last hour I crank it up to 180-200c.

Anohter way is to **** the lamb in various places and get sprigs of Rosemary striped to the stalk and wrap a glove of garlic in posciiutto around the rosemary and stuff it all over the lamb then once the lamb is sealed give it a good splash of aged balsamic viniger and put in oven at 150c for 4 hours.

Also cast iron is best thing to bake in.

Also article in SMH today about Sydney tailors featuring P Johnson.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bijan (whom I know in a personal capacity) gets a mention too. top bloke. haven't seen his suits but i've heard praises about them.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bijan used (still does?) to teach coat making at UTS, where Daniel Jones (of Zink & Sons) was one of his students. Nice to see Robert & Daniel getting a nice write-up.

Speaking of Zink & Sons...their Oxford Street premises has recently undergone renovations, which are still undergoing. Place looks great :)

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting write up.

It kind of gave me the impression that they were painting Patrick's approach in a somewhat negative light? Did anyone else get that?

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
Wearing the ol' members tie;

uWB1i.jpg

cXBGq.jpg

Yes these photos are crap. Yes the knot is crap. Yes the mirror is dirty. Yes I was over an hour late to work. Still, nice tie.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Over an hour late to work and still time to think about taking pictures of your outfit :slayer:

DartagnanRed

Reaction score

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest vitriolic acid, which you can get from a hardware or motor store (just ask for battery acid). Failing that just say something like "Blake Rapid shoes are better than Goodyear welted" on the forum and you'll get your vitriol for for free.
Seriously though, I suggest soaking a rag in the acid and then applying to the buckles which will tarnish them quite quickly. If they don't tarnish straight away just keep applying till they do.
To wrap up this story, I took the shoes to the cobbler, he sanded back a small section of the buckle, and lo and behold, it is brass underneath some gold coating! Happy days, and a big plus to Herring for attention to detail. Cobbler says acid is a big no no. I will have to think of some other way to get the gold coating off, to reveal the brass underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads