• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wearing the ol' members tie;
uWB1i.jpg

cXBGq.jpg

Yes these photos are crap. Yes the knot is crap. Yes the mirror is dirty. Yes I was over an hour late to work. Still, nice tie.

Looks good mate, dimple is a bit skew wiff but still looks fine. Fantastic suit by the way, RL?

Selvaggio

Reaction score

Anyone know where I could get one of these / something similar locally?:
http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?productId=11356658

Wouldn't those things leave nasty great holes in your collar points? I used to have something similar, but it had little clips - got it at Gowings. In the absence of Gowings I just don't know where you source these sort of slightly anachronistic, yet intersting, men's accessories (eg arm bands, shirt studs, a good range of braces, tie clips etc).

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wouldn't those things leave nasty great holes in your collar points? I used to have something similar, but it had little clips - got it at Gowings. In the absence of Gowings I just don't know where you source these sort of slightly anachronistic, yet intersting, men's accessories (eg arm bands, shirt studs, a good range of braces, tie clips etc).

Sorry should have said -- I'm thinking about doing the 'safety pin' thing with knit ties.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah still trying to get the dimpling down pact. Suit is Indochino btw.
Looks good, but I reckon that particular knot is not suited to that collar. I suspect that is a four in hand. Try the half windsor or the shell knot. Google tie knots, first image.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd probably go for a full windsor knot.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disagree I'm afraid. Taking away my own personal biases because it's my tie, I think a well tied 4IH is almost always better looking, especially for young guys. This tie also, is a nice thick twill and self tipped throughout the length and would come up huge in a windsor or even half. I'm actually surprised he managed to make the knot as small as it is. So in conclusion, I'd say a thicker 4IH would be better.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
Long torso leads to small tie knots :( should have got the extra length on reflection. As for Indochino, the quality isn't bad for what you pay. The majority of them look terrible because people don't know how to measure themselves correctly.

crinklecut

Reaction score

To wrap up this story, I took the shoes to the cobbler, he sanded back a small section of the buckle, and lo and behold, it is brass underneath some gold coating!  Happy days, and a big plus to Herring for attention to detail.  Cobbler says acid is a big no no.  I will have to think of some other way to get the gold coating off, to reveal the brass underneath.

When I have to get gold off of guitar parts (which are actually nickel-plated brass with a gold coating) I use Brasso and a rag. Comes right off. NevrDull, which you can get at SuperCheap Auto, is even easier but it's more expensive.

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The FIH is the ne plus ultra of tie tying, and as a backup all you need is the double FIH (blade through one loop or two depending on the tie).

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I have to get gold off of guitar parts (which are actually nickel-plated brass with a gold coating) I use Brasso and a rag. Comes right off. NevrDull, which you can get at SuperCheap Auto, is even easier but it's more expensive.
Sounds good to me. I think I have Brasso, so will give it a go this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads