• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Appreciate everyone's opinion on this matter! Overall, given my doubts, and my limited opportunity to wear, it will be returned. Lucky for me, myer has a very liberal returns policy.
xiaoli, i will just return it to the myer city store, pitt st. happy to meet you there if you want.
the size is 40R. there are a couple of 42R and one 38R i believe in store. it is $518. You can meet me at the store when i return it if you want haha.
On the other hand i did buy a blue blazer from RL too... both the suit and the blazer are made in italy, possibly by corneliani?
image-8.jpg

I'm surprised that you're a 40. You must be massively tall, considering how slim you look in the photo.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Time to check out RL store for khaki suit. Been eyeing that khaki suit on the mannequin in Myer Bourke St store for a year. Sz36, my size, but couldn't get myself to pull the trigger. Now it's gone and I miss it. Price was fluctuating between reg price and $750. If it is now $500 it might convince me just enough to drop my cash down.
Still almost 2 months left of my 6month no purchase commitment though...

Dammit Blahman, maybe if you strut around the streets with it, you could spark a trend,. and then every man and his doggy will be wearing a khaki suit and my regrets will emerge. But seriously though, it is a nice suit. and $500 is a pretty good price (well $518).

Edit: I'm 187cm tall and 88kgs... I've never had PRL fit well on me in the past... until i gained some weight.

Last edited:

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry ernesto, i don't mean to disappoint you, and did enjoy your sentiments about rocking it in summer and the "don't give a f**k" attitude! i don't work in IT though. :D

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In all seriousness casual suits can be a little out of place in Australia since suits are seen to be for work and for toffs and casual means jeans and t-shirts. Casual suits make most people's head explode.
My mid blue Versace Collection cotton suit hasn't ever got to be used as a suit at all: I have always worn the jacket as SC with chinos/jeans and the trousers as loud fun pants. Just couldn't find occasion to wear it as a suit.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In all seriousness casual suits can be a little out of place in Australia since suits are seen to be for work and for toffs and casual means jeans and t-shirts. Casual suits make most people's head explode.
My mid blue Versace Collection cotton suit hasn't ever got to be used as a suit at all: I have always worn the jacket as SC with chinos/jeans and the trousers as loud fun pants. Just couldn't find occasion to wear it as a suit.

This is too true. Still find it amazing that in a country with such blazing summers that light weight suiting is anathema.

xiaoli

Reaction score
Damn, no 36R as usual :plain:

I think I will drop by MJ Bale instead. I got offered a discount on any full price item due to some online ordering issues. Might use it to grab that Wood Dobby jacket to finally fulfill my staple navy jacket requirement :p

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I will drop by MJ Bale instead. I got offered a discount on any full price item due to some online ordering issues. Might use it to grab that Wood Dobby jacket to finally fulfill my staple navy jacket requirement :p

If I can find 36R for you in Melb would you want it?

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you get it, pls post a pic.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I've never completely understood why Australian pricing is so high, aside from 'because we can'. Frankly, these sort of comments without explanation **** me to tears. (Peter's, not yours Tobias.).

Anyone care to shed some light on possible reasons for the uninitiated?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gotta say (and I'm going to get on my high horse a bit) that this is a bit offensive to me, given I started my menswear career here and spent 5 years learning all sorts of technical stuff do with fitting and MTM, fabric knowledge blah blah blah.
Regardless of how they finished, any company that survives for 88 years in a country as young as Australia can hardly be referred to as rubbish. For much of the 1900's they were Warnambools largest employer and were a huge supporter of the Australian Wool industry, owning many mills here to keep quality control top notch and weave their own fabrics. Some of the fabrics I saw even in my own time had to be seen to believed, the type of stuff most iGents would cream themselves over (or possibly never even heard of). Cavalry Twills, melange, Harris Tweed, Hopsack etc and Dormeuil and Holland and Sherry in the MTM books.
They had an in house Dry Cleaning and Alterations service that you could drop stuff in from any store in Australia, no matter how old and they would be sent back to Melbourne or Sydney on a daily basis to be done. Old blokes used to bring in old 14-15oz trousers that were 30 years old for dry cleaning in perfect condition, you can't call that rubbish now can you? Waist sizes from 78cm off the rack right up to 130cm in 3-5 cm increments and 6 different leg lengths in stock! No one does that. Lines around the block when sales were on.
Anyway enough of reminiscing of the old days, even when I left in 2002 as a store manager at 23, I was continually pushing head office to start innovating, getting rid of the old fogies clothes and they didn't listen, and now here they are....

They had the largest single clothing factory in the world in the 50s. One of the saddest losses to Australian industry. All the Italian tailors from Southern Italy that brought that immense knowledge Down Under. Then all gone with the wind. Tragedy...but then Australian manufacturing industry is a tragedy.

I bought a pair of 1940s new old Stock shoes at the Paddington markets for a mate recently. The leather was not only not dry but so fine quality you would/wouldn't find today except in some bespoke English atelier. Just amazing quality. All gone and replaced by PRC crap that even Vinnies won't recycle except for rags.

Last edited:

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

Funny you say that, pleated trousers were FJ's big strength when I was there. That had about 4 different cuts and probably 20-30 different fabrics from gaberdine, cav twill to some really great flannels in all sorts of colours and weights. All made in australia out of Australian wool for about $140-$150. There seems to be a renaissance on pleats here on Style forum too. Maybe they were just far too ahead of the trend cycle (like 10 years ahead). Probably not though!

When was this?

RemyMichel

Reaction score

I've never completely understood why Australian pricing is so high, aside from 'because we can'. Frankly, these sort of comments without explanation **** me to tears. (Peter's, not yours Tobias.). 

Anyone care to shed some light on possible reasons for the uninitiated?

To cover exorbitant rents? Melbourne has retail rents that make it into the top 5 cities in the world (and ave rents in sydney are higher). A joke if you compare the spending done in other cities in the world like NYC, London, Paris, Hong Kong and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads