Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

I think he's been taking PR lessons from Gerry Harvey.

2. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Great photos Jason. What a shame there isn't still a business like that in Australia.

I was talking about Country Road in that earlier comment, but in some ways my comment applies to Fletcher Jones too. I was being a little flippant by saying 'good riddance', but if a company fails to innovate and eventually fails to offer things that people want, it's better that it be wound up, and quickly, than hang around on life support. The capital that is contained in that company is much better off funding new ideas and businesses that make things people actually want. This is 'creative' destruction, and in healthy economies it happens constantly.

Yes, it is still sad to see once-great businesses close their doors though.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  3. blahman

blahman Senior member

It's always the blame game when shit hits the fan, when fail businesses fail because of lack of innovation. Anyone in first year undergrad business can tell you that to survive, businesses need to not only keep up with the rest of the market but to innovate to differentiate themselves from the rest of the market in order to provide value. When companies stop, they die. Simple as that.

4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Yeah, unfortunately he needed to take business lessons from him. The cycling market has been booming in recent years and he's still managed to screw up. It's a shame. I liked going into the QV store they had.

5. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

Have seen the odd jacket (and trousers) here and there in the CBD, but never as a whole suit...
    I work in IT for a finance company, any suit that's not charcoal / dark navy / black gets comments or looks from people haha

I think it would be OK as a Friday casual suit, but I personally wouldn't wear it in winter

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

Oh and about Country Road, I have not heard anything about them being in trouble but Googling brings up Witchery being in trouble and CR might take over.

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I'm not sure I understand the crux of your argument. So is it "what a shame, if only companies could stay unchanged from how they were in the 1930s" or "innovate or die (the quicker the better)"?

Let's not forget Fletcher Jones did innovate, for better or worse... they still died. It's all easy in 20:20 hindsight to offer "solutions" to how they might have stayed afloat, but the fact is sometimes businesses go under through little or no fault of their own. It's the scary reality of all private enterprise.

As an aside, to say that the capital from failed Australian retail concerns will go to more productive use is probably not true in many ways. Most likely the capital will go into the mining industry, which is just about the worst performing industry in the country when it comes to productivity.

8. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Anyway, here are a few photos of the glory days -
    [​IMG]
    quote]

Is that you on the left ;)

9. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Well it's both of course! Human beings are complimicated bro. I'm nostalgic for the old days of menswear like (probably) everyone else on here. I'd personally like it if things were still like that, and I would support a business like Fletcher Jones used to be. At the same time, I acknowledge that businesses fail every day, and there is a silver lining when they do.

10. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

It's definitely a suit for spring/summer. I probably don't think it is appropriate for business wear though, so reserved strictly for dinners/drinks/parties etc

I picked up this from Polo (50% off sale now) for $500, full suit but only showing the jacket. Fits great, just not sure if i should keep it, given that it is somewhat loud for Australian menswear.
    [​IMG]

11. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

if its bothering you so much i would gladly take it off your hands :D

as long as it fits me

12. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I agree with CC - and you. I work in finance too - sort of - and it would not be appropriate.

I have a khaki cotton suit - I only wear it on casual Fridays (ie no important meetings).

I used to work at AMP and the then CEO (many years ago) would wear a tan linen suit on days that he was travelling (by air) - but as a CEO you have a certain lattitude with these things.

If you want a bit more variety - to get away from the dark grey/black....

Navy is not actually not that common
    A lighter navy, even less common
    A mid grey
    Flannel
    Bolder pin and chalk stripes
    Double-breasted
    Even a very dark brown.

I think all these would be okay. Today I am wearing a navy flannel with a pink pin stripe. No-one else is wearing this exactly, but I don't look like a freak either (at least I don't think I do?!) - which I think is a good 'zone' for those of us who operate in more conservative environments.

13. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Ari - just saw your update - yes very appropriate for dressier social occaisions in summer - drinks (somewhere nice), races, dinner etc - but not for work.

14. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Peter Hess: "other business shouldn't be allowed to compete with mine because I'm SPECIAL, mummy said so."

:D

15. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Looks a little small on you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.