• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But it's so true what Patrick and Tom have respectively said about the scene in Australia though, that "no Australian men have role models for style" and so "Australian men tend to dress like kids".

don't you belong to the commonwealth?

prince philipp, prince michael of kent... ...not?

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
I'd buy that RB windowpane in a heartbeat if their suits weren't cut like something Visy would make.

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

don't you belong to the commonwealth?
prince philipp, prince michael of kent... ...not?

The only times Australians ever pay any attention to anything the poms (English) do happen every few years when they host The Ashes (cricket).

Last edited:

CHECKstar

Reaction score

I don't think that's true at all of Australia. I've worked around banks for decades, and there is no issue wearing dark brown shoes; I've even worn light brown shoes to work no problem. I actually doubt that many of my colleagues even look at people's shoes. If they did, I would have thought they'd be more disturbed by the brick-shaped black shoes that haven't seen a polish in years than a well-maintained conservative dark brown pair of shoes.

+1 Haven't been in the industry nearly as long as CD, but have to agree. Given what I see some of my colleagues roll up to work with on their feet, I think I a pair of classic brown oxfords, blucher or even dare I say, double monks are the least of your problems. I often rock the dark brown Hallam's in the office, that said, I suppose its like all things clothing wise, it has to complement the outfit and not stand out or look out of place.

I think there seems to be a bit of 'mystique' about a higher standard of dress code in the finance industry and banking in particular. As much I dislike it, your typical banker dresses just as unfortunate as the rest of the 'smart business casual' modern day workforce. In fact, I would imagine the sight seen in a modern day bank's dealing room would make baby sartorial Jesus cry.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A fair number of the people I see when I walk from Southern Cross Station to get to work wear slip ons, extremely pointed or square-toed shoes. You can't really blame them though - not everyone is going to go and spend a few hundred bucks on shoes and judging by the offerings at the local shoe shops, that's pretty much what's on offer.

I work at one of the US bank in Sydney. Our Ceo wears scuffed square toed shoes with 2 seems running form either side. He is at over5/6 mill a year easy. Drives Porsche carera 911 turbo convertible. I see him time to time in lift . I have only seen him the same pair of shoes every time!! Most guys at work has only one pair of black square toe shoes .
Bottom line is clothing/shoes are kind of a hobby. Most people in Australia just don't care.

Last edited:

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, check out these sweet dance moves and men's style:

thanks for that. i enjoyed it.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

ijesse

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I have just posted a PRL 38R jacket in the classifieds, offering local pickup in Melbourne conservative business dress.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1 Haven't been in the industry nearly as long as CD, but have to agree. Given what I see some of my colleagues roll up to work with on their feet, I think I a pair of classic brown oxfords, blucher or
even dare I say, double monks are the least of your problems.
I often rock the dark brown Hallam's in the office, that said, I suppose its like all things clothing wise, it has to complement the outfit and not stand out or look out of place.
I think there seems to be a bit of 'mystique' about a higher standard of dress code in the finance industry and banking in particular. As much I dislike it, your typical banker dresses just as unfortunate as the rest of the 'smart business casual' modern day workforce. In fact, I would imagine the sight seen in a modern day bank's dealing room would make baby sartorial Jesus cry.

the end is near...

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in getting some leather for various uses? I've been conversing with a sub company of Horween in America about getting some shell to play with and am wondering if anyone else is interested in getting some to play with/to have made into leathergoods locally. They also supply various other leathers, but they have reasonably large minimum orders so we'd need a few people before we started looking at other types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads