Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

You only get the $1,000 exemption from GST. So anything over 1,000 pays GST anyway. Now even if you buy a frame for say , $990, the GST saving is $90. Postage on a frame will be around $50 at least these days. So there is bugger all savings from GST.

I note that the bloke fromAbbotsford cycles said he wasn't worried as they concentrated on servicing bikes and fitting accessories and he expected to be around in 20 years.

The bloke up around the corner from me doesn't sell any bikes. Just services them. And sells a few accessories and parts. If you want a part he says " wait I'll check if it's cheaper online for you" - even if it's cheaper 9 times out of 10 people say , nah. What's $10 and I'll have to wait a week or so, I'll buy it off you. He's already put an extra bike mechanic on this year.

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Actually lots of people buy bike frames and gear on net. I suspect that Wiggle may have been thetrojan horse for Internet shopping in oz.

Bikes actually lend themselves well to online buying. They don't go stale, or melt. Are robust. Bikes brands are really frames with other stuff added on customized. Or bespoked. So buying yourself the components is just what a bike shop does. Assembling is no big deal if you have time. Brakes, tyres, bars, rims, tubes, mudguards,handlebars, gear wheels, shifters etc are usually all different brands.

But the tweaking and adjusting and servicing and getting special stuff on is best done by experts. Your local bike mechanics.

3. kickstart

kickstart Senior member

[​IMG]

These are mine.

1). I love the 11028 last - not too pointy, not to round.
    2). The mahogany does appear a little lighter in sunlight. I have worn them with grey and blue suits but tend to wear C&J 'Dark Brown' Hallams instead (conservative workplace...)

Hope that helps.

4. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Hi kickstart,

Just wondering what brand and color polish (presuming you use it) do you use on the C&J Hallams? I have a pair of C&J Westbourne in dark brown which seem to be a similar if not the same color... Just looking for some inside running.

Cheers

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

Shoes really confuses me. They need to be seen in person to actually get a proper view of the last. Then you have to look at it from all sorts of angles. They just never seem the same in the photos...

And does anyone know where I can find a pair of moccs like these:
    [​IMG]

In burgundy/wine suede for under 100 dollars?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Received an email from A Fine Pair of Shoes saying they have shipped my shoes.

After reading the articles on the AGE and SMH yesterday about the changes to the paper shifitng from broadsheet to tabloid and now Gina Rinehart has 18% of Fairfax the 4th estated will now be nothing more than an ideological soap box in this country.

I fear that one of lifes simple pleasures reading the paper over breakfast is about to go the way of the dinosaurs. I know that I can read online but honeslty the Fairfax sites are shit compared to other major global news papers and its the tactile expericne of reading that I enjoy.

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

True but the organ grinder can hire a monkey who will dance to her tune.

8. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Check out what just landed on my desk...

[​IMG]

9. blahman

blahman Senior member

The only good read in the Age is the Green Guide anyway the Fin Review is a more fun read. I knew The Age is rubbish like the Sun anyway, found that out 10 years ago. The Australian should be of higher quality but it's also a snooze fest.

Just got my cleaning back from Elite in Galleria. Mostly a good job. I got some roll back with my lifeless lapels again so very happy with that. But they chipped one of the MOP buttons so not so happy with that. They're $9 a piece so don't know whether that's cheap.

Great news everyone! Brooks Brothers having a sale again. Checking out the Black Fleece items. Is it me or has BB prices gone up a bit? But this little item looks rather interesting: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=WHITE&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

10. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

^^ Italian nylon?? Sign me up.

11. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Exciting.

12. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah you should all be starting to receive them today (all were express posted). For those guys I"m still waiting on payment from, would be appreciated if you could fix that up in the next few days. I'll send out reminders tomorrow.

I will also announce the competition I'm running with the ties later tonight.

Ta
    Jason

13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

14. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

15. blahman

blahman Senior member

Where is mine?!!!!! So have we settled on calling the wombat Henry?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.