1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackakira

blackakira Member

Hey guys.

New to the forums here, was attracted to the really comprehensive 'Yohji' thread. I figured this would be a pretty good forum to involve myself in too since I am Australian. I'm from Perth if you wondered but in Singapore for now. I am missing home like hell...

2. catpower

catpower Active Member

3. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

And if anyone would like a size xl Barbour soft suede eskdale jacket i have one listed on SF Buy sell, great quality with tags, cost about £350. Of course its out os season now but -
    Cheaper price for Aussies its a bit heavy to send OS

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Welcome! How are you enjoying Singapore?
    Exactly, that's why I got mine secondhand - it's all about the patina [​IMG]

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

In general USA post takes the longest inside the states - ie from one side; say NYC to LA. It takes even longer if its from /or to Lower Butt Pane South which has no major airport hub. Once its on the plane here - its pretty much straightforward unless its a shipment of Tomato cans from California that contain cocaine - then it will get held up. In general theres no advantages with USA in getting anything but plain old slow parcel post - mostly it gets here just as quick as the spiffy speedy offerings.

UK is marvelous - I'm sure we have all had the experience of bleary eyed clicking around tired a late Friday, or as blahman -hyped up and loved out on EXXY@ 3am friday/sat morning clicking big-time on-big timer shoes then seeing shoes arriving on Tuesday in the wrong size, wrong colour. Try to remember what and why you ordered. Explain to partner why you are getting expensive shoes from overseas each week which all look the same.

Swiftly think up explanations to partner for $600 + worth of shoes that , to the normal eye, well to any eye really, look similar, "Ahh honey - looks like the computer went crazy and they sent me two pairs of this stuff" - Oh well I'm sure someone else will buy them off me - you got Gerry Nelsons number there luv?"

6. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Gents,
    I thought I will give you guys a quick warning. Last week I purchased a SAB briefcase for 765 Euro (just under $1k aud) from - www.torquato.net
    Now they have processed the payments - so it went away form authorizations and appeared on my statement today . And now I get an email form them saying they will not ship the goods to me.And asking me to send them money directly to their account !!! Its odd that they charged my card without shipping the products. Any legit merchant will only charge you once they ship . If they decided not to ship they will not process the authorization. Becos one a merchant process a transaction and not ship the goods credit card holder can raise a dispute. And merchant will have to pay charge back processing fees of any where between $30-$45.
    I know this becos I work at a bank. Anyway I will raise a dispute against them tomorrow as goods not delivered. SAB briefcase under $1k ? Didn't think so.
    I think these guys are frauds.

Honestly pissed off . My birthday around the corner and this was a gift to my self. Below is the email that they sent me.

-

Dear xxx,

Thank you for your answer.

The address you provided was not confirmed by the bank. Due to the high value of your order, we cannot accept the card payment and had to refund the amount of EUR 765,08. You should be able to see this refund on your next crdeit card statement. We would kindly ask you for your payment in advance into our bank account before we can proceed with the current order.

We truly apologise for the inconvenience caused but hope for your understanding.

Kind regards

Torquato
    xxxx

mailto:xxxxs@torquato.de
    www.torquato.net

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  7. blackakira

blackakira Member

I can't say it's where I want to be right now/only here to complete military service. In a way though, my time here has helped me progress as a person/with style so I'm grateful. Do you have any connections here, is why asked?

Whats been happening over in Australia lately?

8. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

You're doing NS? Honestly, suck it up. Your NS isn't too difficult. I lived in SG back in '09 when I was studying at SMU. I knew one guy who was in Guards and one guy that's a combat WO and even they say NSmen have it fairly easy when compared to mandatory service in other countries.

Although I myself wouldn't much enjoy marching in full fatigues and combat kit through the jungle with the Singaporean humidity and heat.

Trust me though, you'll look back on the experience fondly if you're open to it.

9. blackakira

blackakira Member

Never said it was difficult, all I said it's not where I wanted to be. It's a farce really, dragging me back for two years to only strip me of my citizenship? And no, I wouldn't be that dumb in the head to subject myself to their whims and hierarchal structure and run around taking their orders. That's the only place you've got it right, I have it easy. As easy as doing nothing, and its all so I don't jeopardise what I had to leave behind. I've put a professional athletic career on hold, where time is of the essence/study on hold for three years/etc. So don't tell me to suck it up...

I apologise if this tarnishes the discussion but I had to say something.

10. jmills

jmills Senior member

That's a real bummer, I was going to get one at that price if yours turned out all good.

11. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

I thought you could put NS off if you were a professional athlete or undertaking tertiary study..?

12. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

I'm doing most of my suits at Iris in Singpore. Get yourself down there if you want to get yourself sorted.

13. drebin

drebin Well-Known Member

Any Sydneysiders heading to the MJ Bale sale today?

14. blackakira

blackakira Member

@prof. b. bear, nope, you can't defer due to the reason of an athletic career. i mean, it should be treated like any other career. and i wasn't able to defer due to the reason of undertaking tertiary studies because i was doing it in another country.

@pasey25, not in the market for a suit right now but i'll keep it in mind, thanks

15. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

I was thinking about it.

Some shirts and ties look pretty good. What are you thinking about getting?

16. drebin

drebin Well-Known Member

They have some decent ties, so I was thinking one of those. And maybe a pink shirt -- it's been a while since I've owned one.

17. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

BTDT.

Finished my NS waaaay back; what unit are you in, friend?

Edit: Just read your latest post; hope you find some enjoyment in SG anyway...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  18. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Yeah, I am in the same predicament. I am looking for 3 ties at around $40 a piece. HC might just be out of my reach.

I probably won't delve into MJ suits yet. I am going to stay with Elite for the time being - his suits are really starting to grow on me.

19. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

These guys just started following me on Twitter : http://goodyearwelted.co.uk/

BTW I visited South Korea last week for work, and I was impressed with the sartorial standards over there. Even though I was attending a scientific conference full of nerds, I saw quite a few interesting sports jackets and the occasional pocket square. These standards were also maintained by the general publich judging by what I saw on the planes and trains I took to get to the conference (which was held on Jeju Island, off the south coast of the peninsula).

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Thankfully, no problems thus far, and I've had it for the past 14 years. It's actually a Japanese import that was brought in by a friend of mine who bought in when she was working in Japan and privately imported it when she came back to Australia.

As a consequence, it differs a bit from the Australian versions, as it has leather seats, headrest speakers, front driving lights, and a higher redline (which also means that I have to feed it premium unleaded).

CEP, a few years back I used to do exactly that, and I would usually wear the shirt with a plain navy cashmere tie.

However, over the past few years I've either become more daring (or more tasteless) and I've started to combine patterns more. I think that, even though the printed tie has a reasonably busy pattern, because of the small scale of the pattern and the complementary colours, it works well with the striped shirt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.