Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Despos is a well known tailor in USA.

2. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

+ 3, agree with sentiments here. Have couple of charcoal trousers in a 150 and flannel weights, very versatile and go well with blue shirts.

3. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

I'll be the disenting voice here. Yes you can (and I do!) wear charcoal odd trousers, however there are very few occasions where I haven't thought I'd be better off with a lighter shade. Obviously as others have mentioned charcoal is still very versatile so ymmv.

4. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Anyone ordered one of the Armoury's Drakes Navy Grenadine? Glad you did? Pink Socks...didnt you buy one? Love the AU SFers Wombat, just dont do green, bit out of my comfort zone!!

[​IMG]

5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Green is your friend, Window.

It is underestimated and underused.

6. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

I love my green knit tie!
    :slayer:

[​IMG]

7. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Yeahhh, I'm still feeling like charcoal, while a viable odd trou colour, would get less outings than mid- or even light gray. I have mid-gray covered so I think I'll go for a lighter gray to wear with my tan shoes.

Probably these: http://www.howardyount.com/collections/pants/products/four-season-super-100s-mid-gray

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That it is... I'm also doing a slightly lighter green knit for S/S, similar to this. Really looking forward to giving it a run when it warms up a bit -

[​IMG]

9. Henry Carter

I don't mind the odd charcoal trouser, it definitely doesn't get as much of a run as my lighter greys but I do wear it a lot with lighter coloured coats i.e mid grey etc.

10. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

^^ That's a good point, charcoal would be good to pair with a lighter gray jacket. Not that I have a lighter gray jacket.

Speaking of which--Jason, when are you going to start offering Henry Carter odd jackets? :)

11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Love it. Very sexy. Also known as 'wakame' green.

[​IMG]

12. Contango

Contango Senior member

Tried to buy some new shoes for work when in Melbourne over the long weekend, some contrasting experiences!

Went to DJs in the CBD where the single sales assistant told me I needed to tell him everything I wanted to try in one go so he only had to make one trip to get the shoes for me to try. They were then handed over and he disappeared. Like I then did, others gave up and left when the first pairs they tried weren't right, despite the salesman trying to get me to buy them and wear a heal grip after I said they didn't fit when handing them back as he didn't have the size I was after.

A Google then came up with Beggar Man Thief in South Melbourne. Couldn't have been more different - advised me on why the first pair I'd asked about wasn't right for my type of foot, what I should be looking at and spent an hour with me - until well after closing time on a Sunday. I picked up one pair of casual shoes, but none of their Loakes fitted me - my heal on one foot kept slipping out no matter how small we went in size. Their response was to recommend one of their competitors who may have more range in what I was after and give me their details! Unfortunately I was leaving before I had a chance to try them, so I'm still stuck.

It seems that in an age where retail is competing against online, not everyone understands that it's in their service that they can differentiate themselves!

Now to find what I need in Sydney - it seems there's not much available other than Joseph's and I don't feel like paying Australian prices on Church's, and the pair of Joseph's branded shoes I own (black patent for weddings) have lost quite a bit from each sole after only 3 outings!

13. Henry Carter

Not for a few seasons I'd say. I want to get the shirts more established and expand on them a bit more first before coats and perhaps the odd suit or two. I would love to make what I deem my perfect winter suit which seems oddly enough, impossible to find. A mid grey flannel, with a 3 roll 2 and patch pockets that isn't so short it barely covers your ass. One day! I need to convince my soon to be wife first that installing hanging space in the garage/warehouse is a good idea first!

14. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Most of the MJ Bale stuff in my size got cleaned out at the DJ clearance sale :brick:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

15. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

fingers crossed for that flannel suit!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.