• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
Thanks for checking the site out. Moving forward to next season should also see both a dark green and maroon grenadine added, both in 7 folds, won't be released until September though. The 7 folds are outselling the classic construction about 6 to 1 so far so I will likely be doing more and more of those in the future.
Also planned for the next 12 months will be shirts and trousers (made in Italy most likely), saphir products (though they are very difficult to deal with) and possibly Carmina shoes, which are still a big question mark at this stage.

Sounds great. Very happy to support your initiative. Next pay day, 12 April, will place order for Navy Grenadine then. Think its great what your doing, would love to be able to do something like what your doing.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
Not much chance of getting published.
Who do you think takes out the most full page adverts in THE AGE and Friday glossy? DJs/Myers or Lands End/ Herring/Henry Carter Neck wear/Pret a Porter/ Asos/ etc etc ???

Your exactly right fxh....Its called biting the hand that feeds you. The Age, Courier, etc etc are dependant upon these stores placing large page advertisements. Paid advertising in the print press has dropped dramatically over the past couple of years, not hard to see why when you follow newsprint readership. I still paid $4.30 for the Sunday Age today in Brisbane, what a joke, just cant bring myself to reading the Sunday Mail, have to be the worst paper in the country. DJs full page 4 in todays Age.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
It ***** me when DJ does selective price marking for sales. I was hoping the MJ Bale gear would be marked down. Sadly, they weren't.

Just be patient and persistent, they will mark down the stock eventually. I waited 6 months for the Thomas Pink shirts, socks etc I picked up Friday. I got them all half price, which in all honesty was probably still a premium, but, nevertheless the Pink Premium shirts are a beautiful fabric and worth the money I think. The navy and white houndstooth shirt was a stand out in their range so am thrilled I got one, not for $200 though!!

MJ Bale, my guess is that they have so much stock they have to discount it to keep it moving. Its unfortunate that DJs are not paying better attention to their stock, I saw $650 MJ Bale jackets on shirt hangers, and $100 MJ Bale shirts on Jacket hangers, just looked ordinary. Attention to detail ...... its the small things but its what counts.

Last edited:

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
I just bought a pretty non-conservative tie (for some reason, just looking at it makes me smile) and was wondering what you'd pair this with. Based on meeting some of you yesterday, I think a lot of guys here already have a pretty well developed sense of what works.

My thought was to make sure everything else I wear is plain so as not to compete with the tie, e.g. navy suit, white/light blue shirt and white or other plain pocket square similar to how a patterned jacket can be worn with the Italian background.

I'll obviously experiment when it arrives but thought I'd throw it out to the group and get your thoughts.
Gerry - meant to respond to you on this one during the week. My best guess on a shirt here would have been a royal blue. Would look great with this tie and a navy suit, especially for autumn / winter. Royal blue needs to make a come back. I have just this week, after searching high and low in Sydney and Melbourne ordered royal blue shirts from the Eton range through Roberts Menswear. The fabric looks fantastic.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score

Thanks gents, going to head to DJ's to try out some Loakes for sizing then hit up Herring!

You might be lucky. I can't recall seeing Loake's at DJ's city store in Perth. I have seen a pair of wingtips at a small shoe shop in one of the arcades though ($400 from memory. Looked like 1880 range). I usually go for a wander at lunch times so will get the shop name for you if you like.

Last edited:

lychee

Reaction score

You might be lucky. I can't recall seeing Loake's at DJ's city store in Perth. I have seen a pair of wingtips at a small shoe shop in one of the arcades though ($400 from memory. Looked like 1880 range). I usually go for a wander at lunch times so will get the shop name for you if you like.

Yeh hopefully they have some there. It's listed on the website. Sounds like De Burgh's? In the Carrilion arcade just off the murray st mall?

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score

Yeh hopefully they have some there. It's listed on the website. Sounds like De Burgh's? In the Carrilion arcade just off the murray st mall?

That sounds right

You will be in luck, DJ's Perth now carry Loake, albeit a very small range (no 1880).

The 1880 range is the only one's I'd bother with. Other ranges may have the same lasts though, so he may be able to get his size at least.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds great. Very happy to support your initiative. Next pay day, 12 April, will place order for Navy Grenadine then. Think its great what your doing, would love to be able to do something like what your doing.
Thanks for the kind words and no worries. Don't forget the discount code SF10 for a 10% discount. It's been always something I've wanted to do also and the opportunity came about so I took it. But it's not that glamorous at the moment, I still work full time and do everything in my spare time when I can. Maybe in a few years it will be filled with buying trips to Italy and doing it full-time, but for now I'm happy to pay my dues getting everything going.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gerry - meant to respond to you on this one during the week. My best guess on a shirt here would have been a royal blue. Would look great with this tie and a navy suit, especially for autumn / winter. Royal blue needs to make a come back. I have just this week, after searching high and low in Sydney and Melbourne ordered royal blue shirts from the Eton range through Roberts Menswear. The fabric looks fantastic.
I have a great royal blue shirt from cottonwork, definitely not worn as much as the lighter blue ones but still a great colour. I'll wear it tomorrow actually and post a pic if I get time.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for that! I'm glad you think it would be great for autumn/winter although given that we had warm weather in Melbourne yesterday and today, it still feels like summer.

I have a great royal blue shirt from cottonwork, definitely not worn as much as the lighter blue ones but still a great colour. I'll wear it tomorrow actually and post a pic if I get time.

Looking forward to it!

lennier

Reaction score

Anybody owned a pair of shoes from Aquila? What’s the quality like?

The usual mediocre glued stuff that you get in most shoe stores. Massively overpriced at full retail but on deep discount can be an ok beater if you like a particular style of theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads