Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

2. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Btw if anyone is looking for a cheap Melb CBD barber as I was a few pages back, I had a good experience with Ossie barber on Flinders Lane. $15 + tip for a clippers cut with a proper straight razor/cream clean up on then neck and sideburns area. From the looks of things they knew what they were doing with a pair of scissors too ($20).

3. Mirador

Mirador Well-Known Member

I posted awhile back about some shirts I had made at Cecil here in Melbourne, the most recent acquisition has landed - Monti twill, MOP buttons, small cutaway - $145

Great value-for-money IMHO !

[​IMG] [​IMG]

FWIW, Paul smith is leasing the Ground Level and Level 1 at 120 Collins, they like the historic nature of the building and its internal heriatge values, it will be a very impressive fit-out, Mr Smith is familiar with the site and will be at the official store opening.

4. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

haha, I knew someone would come up with some parallels :)

5. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

I only did the 5K as I'm generally slack and not a big fan of running. Surprised at how much weaving and dodging I had to do the whole way to the finish line. But in the end it was all good and for a good cause.

7. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

This example looks very well done, credit to the tailors. Its a bit hard to tell from the picture, at least for a novice like me, how has the collar been done? Have they fused it?

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Interesting. About 8 years ago when I still hadn't worked out there is no money in retail management I was the menswear manager at Robby Ingham on oxford street, and we stocked Pail Smith mainline, PS and Paul Smith London plus all the cool wallets, cufflinks etc. We sold a ton of it at full price and they do make some great stuff once you see through the bright linings and more fashiony pieces. Once it gets a bit colder ill post some pics of a great grey donegal Paul Smith overcoat I have, which has navy lining but its a map of the world stitched/printed on to it. It's very cool and subtle compared to most of their linings.

9. Mirador

Mirador Well-Known Member

They are made in Fiji, and at $145 I'm guessing the collar & cuffs are fused. Plenty of Thomas Mason fabrics to also chose from amongst other options.

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Paul Smith is walking me through his new 250sq m shop in Melbourne’s Collins Street, room by room. Not literally — we’re actually sat in his London office having afternoon tea. But he closes his eyes as he describes it, gesticulating animatedly as he explains in great detail precisely what’s going to be where and what wood it’s made out of and how delighted he is to have found such a perfect building for his first stand-alone store in Australia.

“We looked at shops in Melbourne and Sydney and the ideal thing would have been to open in both cities at the same time but the Sydney one fell through so we just ended up with Melbourne,” he says. “We’re very pleased about that one. It suits Paul Smith [the company] because it’s a shop with a lot of character.”

From: http://www.gq.com.au/life/people/paul+smith+comes+to+australia,16939

Also a feature on him in the AFR: http://www.afr.com/p/afrmagazine/paul_smith_the_pin_striped_prankster_Lg66VWSXApz4VqzQ2eVYFM

11. blahman

blahman Senior member

It just wouldn't be Paul Smith if it doesn't have the funky linings and whatnot.

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I used to buy the odd bit of PS from Robby Ingham's on Oxford St. Some good bargains there when they had one of their rare sales.

13. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

That's really unfair. The Datsun 240Z is a modern classic, as is the Datsun 1600. Even the 120Y and 180B were better than most of their contemparies....as witnessed once in Top Gear when the Datsun 120Y went up against 'The Best of British small cars from the late 70's' and kicked their arse!

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

+1

My mum's Datsun 1200 sedan is still going strong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.