• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

lychee

Reaction score

It all depends on the kind of last you like really.
Herring Churchill's look nice and the last is not too rounded but not too pointy.
I have some Herring Chamberlains which I love but they aren't as dark brown as I had hoped...so I just splashed on some C&J Hallams (at great expense to the management....).
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=6&shoeid=2023
In summary I think a good strategy could be to choose a). what kind of brown you want and b). what kind of shape you are looking for.

the churchills look great. what was the sizing like for the chamberlains?

my sizing depends on what type of shoe i'm wearing. boat shoes + casuals i wear a 9.5-10. pointed dress shoes 8/8.5. standard width.

Last edited:

kickstart

Reaction score

the churchills look great. what was the sizing like for the chamberlains?
my sizing depends on what type of shoe i'm wearing. boat shoes + casuals i wear a 9.5-10. pointed dress shoes 8/8.5. standard width.

As does mine.

I wear a 9UK which is a 43.25 EUR and I find they fit very nicely.

The 'F' is apparently the 'average' foot width for UK sizing - so I went with that for both pairs of my Cheaneys. Interestingly C&J have 'E' as their 'average' width so it will be interesting to see how I go with those.

What do you want to wear the shoes with? I am too conservative to wear my Chaimberlains with a navy suit - they seem to be just too light and contrasty.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ The Zegna section at DJ's in Melbourne has some horrendous customer service. I went in there 3 different days last week trying to BUY a discounted DB ZZegna but no one was around. The first time the guy was on a personal call at the back, I could hear everything he was saying. Waited 10 minutes before going to the lower end counters near Joe Black and was told only Zegna people can put through the sale. Put it back and went the next day. Literally one sales assistant on the whole floor (Anthony Squires). Said the same thing. The last day I tried the entire thing on, with a shirt and tie and walked around looking for someone to pin the hem. The girl in the ZZegna section literally walked passed me about 4 times to go in the back.
Left it on the floor of the change room I was so disgusted. And I used to work for DJ's. There's no use complaining to them because I know for a fact they don't give a ****.

Paul Zahra has no f#cking idea. That second floor is a case study on why Australian retail is f#cked.

"6"

Reaction score

Gents,
It's about time I started investing in better shoes and looking after them rather than paying through the nose for poor quality substitutes...
Looking to spend $200-300, and looking for some brown cap toes to kick off my investment strategy...
Any recommendations?

Try Louisa in 151 Collins Street. They always seem to have some Church's and Trickers in store at 40-60% off, which would bring them down to your price range.

lychee

Reaction score

Try Louisa in 151 Collins Street. They always seem to have some Church's and Trickers in store at 40-60% off, which would bring them down to your price range.

In Perth :(

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick note to thank those of you who provided the heads up about the David Jones sale. Picked up a couple of nice Thomas Pink shirts and socks. Had a look through the knitwear on the floor, nothing special at all. Icebreaker was limited to 3 pieces, Hackett had a few ok jumpers, but, nothing special - perhaps only standout was Duchamp maybe. Shoes....geesh I dont know how to describe what is going on there!!. Anyway, was good scrounging through all the gear they have. Has been a few weeks. MJ Bale has certainly made an appearance. Other observation - all those ugly skinny ties, Burberry, ZZegna and all the others are being cleared out. No grenadines to be found, think I check out the Navy Grenadine on Henry Carter, looks very nice.
Thanks for checking the site out. Moving forward to next season should also see both a dark green and maroon grenadine added, both in 7 folds, won't be released until September though. The 7 folds are outselling the classic construction about 6 to 1 so far so I will likely be doing more and more of those in the future. Also planned for the next 12 months will be shirts and trousers (made in Italy most likely), saphir products (though they are very difficult to deal with) and possibly Carmina shoes, which are still a big question mark at this stage.

streetminimal

Reaction score
It ***** me when DJ does selective price marking for sales. I was hoping the MJ Bale gear would be marked down. Sadly, they weren't.

lychee

Reaction score
Thanks gents, going to head to DJ's to try out some Loakes for sizing then hit up Herring!

__PG__

Reaction score

^ The Zegna section at DJ's in Melbourne has some horrendous customer service. I went in there 3 different days last week trying to BUY a discounted DB ZZegna but no one was around. The first time the guy was on a personal call at the back, I could hear everything he was saying. Waited 10 minutes before going to the lower end counters near Joe Black and was told only Zegna people can put through the sale. Put it back and went the next day. Literally one sales assistant on the whole floor (Anthony Squires). Said the same thing. The last day I tried the entire thing on, with a shirt and tie and walked around looking for someone to pin the hem. The girl in the ZZegna section literally walked passed me about 4 times to go in the back.
Left it on the floor of the change room I was so disgusted. And I used to work for DJ's. There's no use complaining to them because I know for a fact they don't give a ****.

You should send that as a letter to The Age to show that its not all about 'online sales are killing Aussie jobs'.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You should send that as a letter to The Age to show that its not all about 'online sales are killing Aussie jobs'.

Not much chance of getting published.

Who do you think takes out the most full page adverts in THE AGE and Friday glossy? DJs/Myers or Lands End/ Herring/Henry Carter Neck wear/Pret a Porter/ Asos/ etc etc ???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads