• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

__PG__

Reaction score

I've been in guitar forums where people are so obsessed about tiny details that they forget to play the damn thing. 

The main thing is to have fun with it all  - life is too short!

Same things happen in bike forums, or ski forums.

A good phrase I use is 'analysis paralysis'.

bhall41

Reaction score
Or diving forums ;)

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Will do - can you direct me to a retailer ?
I assume they are cotton ? Are they soft or scratchy/wrinkly feeling ?
Can they be ironed at home via a steam iron ? My Hilditch and Key Shirts cannot, they have to be dry-cleaned.
thanks

Eh? That's a bit odd. I've got four H&K shirts from several years back, and all of them (even the Sea Island cotton) can be machine-washed and ironed at home without any problems. The cloth is soft and smooth and they've all worn very well with no problems at all. Rather strange to hear that they have to be dry-cleaned.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Hilditch and Key Shirts cannot, they have to be dry-cleaned.
thanks

This is s a first . Myself and few friends wear H&K shirts and we have never had this problem. I will scrub the collars with Sard soap if required and then just wash them on a normal cycle and air dry, fine every time.

Also what does it cost to have a shirt dry cleaned?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see why h&k need to be treated any differently, they are all just cotton afterall. Fading and shrinkage are pretty much the only reasons why you wouldn't wash them.

And about SF taking things too seriously, some people in this forum seem to think dressing like a ponce will solve every single one of lifes problems.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Eh? That's a bit odd. I've got four H&K shirts from several years back, and all of them (even the Sea Island cotton) can be machine-washed and ironed at home without any problems. The cloth is soft and smooth and they've all worn very well with no problems at all. Rather strange to hear that they have to be dry-cleaned.

+1

According to Charles Nakhle, good cloth, however luxurious, usually loves to be ironed. For example, my Alumu poplins, a two-ply 80 and a two-ply 120, are easily ironed without much trouble at all.

(However, and this just occurred to me, Charles DID mention that he dislikes Sea Island for this climate, and much prefers Egyptian cotton; something about its propensity for wrinkling.)

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

or car forums, use the wrong wax or polish or oil and they treat you like a mass murderer.

Same things happen in bike forums, or ski forums.
A good phrase I use is 'analysis paralysis'.

And football forums. My God. I have seen people call others out for a punch up, even designating a time and place, just because they disagree about player signings!

Perhaps the WAYWRN thread should be renamed WAYWRN...That We Can Complain About.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And football forums. My God. I have seen people call others out for a punch up, even designating a time and place, just because they disagree about player signings!
Perhaps the WAYWRN thread should be renamed WAYWRN...That We Can Complain About.

Wait till you get on the martial arts forums...

Bullshido is expecially 'enjoyable'.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents,

Possible bargain?

Cheers,

Eightace

Hmm, I'm interested to know what they mean by "lightweight". Those are made by C&J, appear to be similar to the Westbourne or Belgrave. They're a good buy at that price. But, shipping may cost you because Brooks Brothers don't ship to us. Also, not sure if the sole is channeled or the welt stitching is exposed as there are no pictures. To me, it looks like a bench grade model on the 337 last. As for using the word "lightweight", I don't think the type of calfskin should make much difference to us in Australia, but in the US, the inclement winter weather means that shell cordovan and other similarly "heavy" shoes are favoured.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tell me about it, I'm off sick with tonsillitis this week so haven't posted a fit since last week, but have had the time while camped on the couch to watch the silly arguments and basically non existent fits on there. No one fro MC is going to agree with the Sw&d blokes so I don't know why it's taken about 300 posts in 2 days to realize that. All it's doing is scaring people off from posting fits, which is the purpose of the thread.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And about SF taking things too seriously, some people in this forum seem to think dressing like a ponce will solve every single one of lifes problems.

B-b-b-but chicks dig spalla camicia, grenadine ties and sprezzatura!

Hmm, I'm interested to know what they mean by "lightweight". Those are made by C&J, appear to be similar to the Westbourne or Belgrave. They're a good buy at that price. But, shipping may cost you because Brooks Brothers don't ship to us. Also, not sure if the sole is channeled or the welt stitching is exposed as there are no pictures. To me, it looks like a bench grade model on the 337 last. As for using the word "lightweight", I don't think the type of calfskin should make much difference to us in Australia, but in the US, the inclement winter weather means that shell cordovan and other similarly "heavy" shoes are favoured.

I'm interested to know what they mean by "lightweight" as well. Those are definitely not made by C&J - I sent the C&J mail order department a question about the last for the shoe with a picture of the shoe as an attachment. The reply I got was " The shoe in photo which is attached to this email is not a Peal shoe and not a shoe which we make.". Obviously it is a Peal shoe so probably made for BB by one of the other Northampton companies?

Regarding shipping, are you sure they don't ship to us? According to their website, they do for most things:

"International Delivery ($49.99 charge)
Overnight delivery currently not available outside of the United States. Please note that we cannot ship gift cards, fragrances, or products containing alligator or genuine fur internationally. All shipping & handling and applicable duties will be paid by the customer and will be billed by the delivering carrier."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads