Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

It's kind of hilarious that this site tacitly assumes that people who like to dress like Little Lord Fauntleroy, and people who like to dress like lumberjack ninjas, are going to have sooooo much in common that they should totally hang out

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Gerry, seems there is contradictory information from both sources who can provide definitive answers. On the Brooks Brothers Q&A thread for those particular shoes, is this:

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers claims that C&J makes them, but C&J have told you they don't make them.

As for shipping, you're right - they do now ship internationally and have done so for some time now. I am going off my early-2011 experience where I wanted to buy from them online and they didn't ship here. There may be something where they don't ship shoes to Australia - some retailers annoyingly do this, but I cannot say for sure.

In any case, the shoe manufacturer mystery lives..

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Ha! That's hilarious! I hope we get to the bottom of it, Maybe another email to C&J is in order.

Regarding what they mean by "lightweight", the Q&A states:
    "They are lighter in weight because of the below:
    The Goodyear welt shoes made for you are lighter in weight because:
    -select correct weight of calfskin leather for the upper. We try not to use the thicker, heavier skins.
    -also for the lining, we are careful to use the correct thickness, so we save weight here also.
    -our shank system between insole and outsole is stronger, yet a bit lighter.
    -we select the proper grade outsole for maximum wear, being careful to use the better quality hides that are stronger yet lightweight.

All the steps just save an ounce or two by themselves. But when added together they result in the shoes a little bit lighter."

Pretty much lighter leather and a lighter shank is it ...

4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

lol

5. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

And the autosport forums. People who continually troll threads because 'my favourite racing car driver beat your favourite racing car driver'.

It's funny that I get on the internet for some 'fun' things (e.g. skiing, clothes, bikes) but I never thought to get on the autosport forums. I've been involved in motosport for a long time (and worked in F1 for a couple of years) but you just don't want to get involved with internet keyboard warriors. I remember at the autosport forums there are various amateur 'enthusiasts' who tried to tell a guy working for Honda F1 that his ideas on aerodynamics were completely false. I post very infrequently.

Likewise, I used to be quite serious in my martial arts training and used to teach beginner classes, but I would never even think to get on the internet. As ColdEyedPugilist says, Martial arts is full of bullshit-artists at the best of times...imagine that being magnified by anonymous posting on the internet!

You see the same thing occurring on the weatherzone forums, which is full of amateur idiots who are convinced that global warming is a huge scam and only a select few members know the 'truth' and the 'real science' and the CSIRO/BoM/NASA/Every Scientific Academy on the Planet don't know what they are talking about.

Those that can, do. Those that can't wave their dicks around on internet forums.

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

7. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

what did you do in F1? I've just come back to reality (i.e. work) after working at the grand prix all weekend, albeit in a lowly track marshal role, but my dream is to one day be a full time F1 photographer. Unfortunately I think it's something I should have been working towards about 15 years ago....

(but here's my photos from the weekend anyway... http://mpd.smugmug.com/Cars/GP-2012 )

8. lennier

lennier Senior member

Yes indeed. It would be funny if not for the serious harm that is coming from Joe Public increasingly getting their 'information' from such idiots (and many of them having high rating radio talkback shows..).

Obstyle: got my new leather bag from Herring the other day, very nice soft waxy leather and decent looking hardware. Hopefully it holds up well. For $200 delivered I didn't see anything close to it in quality in my (admittedly brief and depressing) local investigations.

9. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

I'm pretty confident the 'lightweight' peal shoes are Loake. Can't remember where I read that though.

10. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

^^ Which model Lennier?

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'd be inclined to think that BB posting on a public website would need to be accurate* and should know where their limited in house brand are made. C&J email person may not know exactly whats going on with an email sent from one person in Oz.

Theres no particular reason why BB should say who makes their shoes. Theres no particular reason why they would get it wrong other than the usual human error. Theres also no reason why C&J should claim a shoe not sold under their name is made by them.

Who really knows?

* after all being in USA someone^ is likely to sue them if its wrong.
    ^ that someone likely to be a jumped up legal type "baller" from SF or suburban conveyancing assistant from AAAC

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

In that case C&J must make more than one type of perforated cap toe oxford for Peal. I have a pair (below) of Peal C&J oxfords (they were purchased from the C&J factory by another SF member) and they look different to those in the link. The C&J person told me the perf captoe oxford they make for Peal is on the 240 last.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Just found the Peal link: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...FC_CJ_VigLink_Brooks+Brothers+Product+Catalog

According to post 40 in this thread, Loake make the lightweight Peals.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

13. lennier

lennier Senior member

The Mayfair.

14. scar3face

scar3face Well-Known Member

I purchased a pair of Ted Baker wingtips on Monday and decided to wear them to work today.

It's raining in Melbourne today and I walked across the road to grab a coffee, but by the time I came back, my feet were soaked all on the bottom.

I took the shoe off and noticed that only the bottom of the shoe is wet, so it must be letting water through where the shoe meets the sole.

I'm pretty pissed off given my Florsheim shoes have been through all sorts of Melbourne weather and my feet have stayed dry, but as soon as this pair of shoes gets a hint of water, your feet end up soaked.

I'm going to take the shoes back to David Jones and try to get a refund, or at least swap them for a pair of Loakes, or is it a case of buy beware?

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.