Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Thats a good question, be interested in others responses.

2. Doug11

Doug11 Well-Known Member

Will do - can you direct me to a retailer ?

I assume they are cotton ? Are they soft or scratchy/wrinkly feeling ?

Can they be ironed at home via a steam iron ? My Hilditch and Key Shirts cannot, they have to be dry-cleaned.

thanks

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

Why have I never heard of that store? I'm really digging that Lonshoreman tie.

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Just wanted to mention I bought a knit tie from The Knottery a while back and the quality is poor--I don't wear it. That's not to say their other products aren't good though, and they are certainly cheap.

5. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

AWESOME post Windowpane, thanks for your thoughts. Not much to add except I agree 100%.

6. Windowpane1967

Yeah absolutely Doug. Try Roberts Menswear in the Tattersalls Arcade in Brisbane. He has just this week received a whole lot of new stock. I will be guided by others on here as to who may be in other locations. Mitchell Ogilvie only has the slim fits and from memory they are about $30 more expensive than Roberts.

Roberts Menswear
    202-210 Edward Street Brisbane QLD 4000 (Tattersalls Arcade, cnr Edward and Queen.
    (07) 3221 6741

Oh and re cleaning, I have ironed these on occasions with no problem at all...maybe a bit of Fabulon was used but all in all they great. Funny you say that about Hilditch shirts - cannot iron them well at all and Im a bit of a perfectionist with my ironing...so they go to eLaundry, I dont even bother.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

We used to stock eton shirts back in the day when I worked at fj's, they certainly were great shirts and I remember them fondly. I don't see any reason apart from H&K covering their asses why any cotton shirt can't be hand ironed carefully and not come out better than from the dry cleaners. The dry cleaners use huge amounts of heat in their presses not to mention you have no control over their cleaning process. I go for gentle Mashona washing, line drying and hand ironing 100% of the time, and I think my shirts are much better for it. Just my opinion though.

8. Windowpane1967

Think your right CW. The thought of QLD humidity = ironing = how I like them done, doesnt seem to add up for me. $3 at eLaundry...bargain. I remember years ago taking shirts to Peerless in the Valley - dont even know if they still there, jeess could they bugger a shirt or many. Have only recently starting returning to the laundering service. Its good value.

9. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Just checked out WAYWRN. I can see why you cross posted here. Instead of actually providing feedback about clothes, the usual bullshit was going on with people preoccupied bickering and navel gazing.

10. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

You got it.

What is with these people anyway; it's just clothes for crying out loud! No need to pontificate and get all huffy when someone doesn't agree with you. Some interesting points but maaaaan,... was there some hot air as well!

Like Sugarbutch said, some SF'ers take things way too seriously.

Don't even get me started about the cheerleaders on either side of the divide...

First World Problems., I suppose.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

11. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

A friend and I pretty much came to the same conclusion this afternoon. We're just a tiny part of the greater community and what some might call a train wreck over here is probably dressed better than 90% of the general population.

At the end of the day, at least some thought goes into these looks - whether they appeal to you or me is a different story and shouldn't really matter.

12. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

QFT

13. saywhat

saywhat Member

What's the go with Rhodes and beckett shirts. Any good? They're on sale.

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Thanks, man, and while we're on the subject of bickering about the small things, another thought occurred to me.

It's not uncommon to get caught up in things - clothes, fitness, playing music, etc. I do it all the time. I sometimes have trouble keeping in mind why I'm doing these things and end up getting sidetracked and obsessed - I'm not going to the gym for the sake of going to the gym and I'm not buying these clothes for the sake of buying them.

The bottom line is that these all flow through into real life. Enjoy what you do and don't obsess. Wear the hell out of these clothes while you're being awesome in life.

I've been in guitar forums where people are so obsessed about tiny details that they forget to play the damn thing.

The main thing is to have fun with it all - life is too short!

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Exactly...could not agree more (and can be guilt of this myself).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.