1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Oh please no - don't post GP photos- its all downhill -next you know it people will be posting picks of their ankles in shoes with no socks.

2. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Not SF approved. Prepare to be flogged.

3. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

There, there...

It's okay.

Just let it go and be at peace, brother.

4. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Release from Zahra today post the hammering their stock price received this morning -

David Jones CEO Paul Zahra said Australian retail prices were high compared to overseas, a fact that had become obvious to the droves of shoppers who opted to buy goods online from foreign stores. He said David Jones was negotiating with suppliers to ensure the wholesale prices it pays are on par with those paid by foreign retailers, so it can charge shoppers similar prices to those in overseas stores. Zahra said some suppliers such as Yves Saint Laurent, Kiehls, Lancome, Fossil and DNKY had already decreased the wholesale prices they charged David Jones.

But, while lower wholesale prices would mean lower sales tags for customers, Zahra said David Jones would have to focus on lifting sales volumes to offset the impact of cheaper prices on its earnings.

Nothing this forum didn't already know. Authenticity Zahra, thats were DJs is really suffering. They have NO authenticity - its about markups on rubbish stock that we know is rubbish yet we expected to pay top $$. Have a look at old Paddy Pallins, they have been around for years and yet, they have authenticity - quality with credibility. It will take a lot more than placating customers with more disinterested staff to make people part with $$. But, hey, Im glad to know my Fossil jeans and DKNY China made get ups will be cheaper in the future...thats gotta be a relief!!! Did I just hear the sounds of a CEO succession plan being hatched??

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

Its raining and too wet to go outside and risk getting my soul damp. I have no interest at all in those shoes so I meandered over to the thread to have a squiz.

This is why the forums are so useful.

The consensus on that thread is that the shoes in question are:

1. Crockett & Jones
    2. Alfred Sergeant
    3. Loakes

and
    4. Loakes do not make for Peal & Co (BB)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  6. Windowpane1967

Take them back, get your $$ back in your pocket and order real shoes from real shoe retailers. Heaps of recommendations on here. Oh and I wouldn't bother with Ted Baker anything, they used to be very good, quality is down the toilet especially the DJs stock - see my point re DJs???.

Didn't someone once say you never skimp on shoes or watches.

7. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Shoes and watches will be my undoing. :embar:

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

9. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Yeah, that got passed around at training last year. Its an interesting study of psychology.

RE : F1. I did aerodynamic development for Renault F1 for a couple of years. This mainly involved sitting in front of a computer for 50 hours a week writing Fortran. I did get some nice T-shirts though.

10. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I thought it was shoes and mattresses. Because if you're not in one, you're in the other

11. Windowpane1967

This will make you all laugh your guts out for an afternoon. Whilst downing another coffee and reading the forum here, these Zegna boots came up on fleabay, so I picked them up for $120 inclusive of postage from the US. Will be interesting to see what they like. Problem will be the C&J Tetbury's arrive soon. Oh well am covered for what could be a wet winter in both Melb and Bris.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Windowpane1967

Am same BHall, shoes and watches, weakness Im afraid. Challenge is not to let on to the other half whats currently in the collection, luckily she not overly attentive!!

13. elvish

elvish Senior member

is anyone interested in buying the BB shoes?

PM me as I intend to order a pair if someone assists in shipping...

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Hey Windowpane1967, what configuration of the Tetburys did you order? Post a review once you get both pairs. Congratulations on both pairs of boots! What's the point of getting new things if we can't celebrate them with people who understand [​IMG]

Elvish, good luck with those BB shoes - no matter who makes them, they should be decent quality and a pretty good buy at the price. Let us know how they turn out if you do end up getting them.

15. elvish

elvish Senior member

^will do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.