• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhall41

Reaction score

I certainly intend to shortly. Looking to get some Lowndes.

I like double monks but do wonder whether they are a bit fadish?

I have my eye on the Conaught in suede. Also quite keen on the Finsbury, to replace some old Loake brogues, which I probably won't end up re-soling.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sort of in time for the little gathering I guess? Wares from a direct competitor?
Apparently Rhodes and Beckett are giving $50 e-vouchers for you to spend if you register an online account with them.
Their squares are $40 so they are pretty much free + shipping.

Or something...

Thanks for this B-man. More info here:

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/52404

I've just joined, so will keep you posted on the voucher.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

I like double monks but do wonder whether they are a bit fadish?

I have my eye on the Conaught in suede. Also quite keen on the Finsbury, to replace some old Loake brogues, which I probably won't end up re-soling.

Certainly a valid concern. I think due to my relative youth and lack of a conservative business environment I should be able to get good use out of them for many years, even if the current fad status of them moves on.

FWIW, I paid $500 for the Lowndes at American Tailors last week.

Thanks for the information, I assumed AT would be much more expensive but that's not far off online prices at all.

onestar

Reaction score
Thought it was timely to drag up the original post from this thread; it's nearly 3 years since that first statement and nothing has changed. I have just spent 2 days in Melbourne at a conference for Australia's biggest retailer and I would say 80% of the guys who attended were wearing those disgusting long, curled-up-toed, canoe shoes. What is it with those things? I felt like I was at a national clown convention. If you look at the retail stores in Australia, that's mostly what you see on display, but really you don't have to buy them!

It's a "fashion statement" that I have never been able to get my head around; however for it to have lasted for over 3 years is truly astounding.

That's my rant for the day, and I feel much better now.

bhall41

Reaction score

Certainly a valid concern. I think due to my relative youth and lack of a conservative business environment I should be able to get good use out of them for many years, even if the current fad status of them moves on.

Have you checked out the Carmina double monks, offered at The Armoury, which look very nice -

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

Is there some in joke that I have missed on SF? Why is everyone suddenly using that avatar with all the same ties on it?

The tie avatars are the default with the redesigned SF.

Have you checked out the Carmina double monks, offered at The Armoury, which look very nice -

I have seen them in pictures and certainly considered them but I don't want to buy without trying on first and I've got no trips to HK any time soon.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bhall41

Reaction score
Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonder who would have the balls to put a pair of these on:

bhall41

Reaction score

Thought it was timely to drag up the original post from this thread; it's nearly 3 years since that first statement and nothing has changed. I have just spent 2 days in Melbourne at a conference for Australia's biggest retailer and I would say 80% of the guys who attended were wearing those disgusting long, curled-up-toed, canoe shoes. What is it with those things? I felt like I was at a national clown convention. If you look at the retail stores in Australia, that's mostly what you see on display, but really you don't have to buy them!

It's a "fashion statement" that I have never been able to get my head around; however for it to have lasted for over 3 years is truly astounding.

That's my rant for the day, and I feel much better now.

Yep, sadly not much has changed in relation to men's business wear and in particular shoes. Of course, it's virtually impossible to find reasonably priced, decent men's shoes in Australia, and I blame retailers more than the public. IMO you can't expect the vast majority of guys to shop for shoes online. Equally you can't expect them to fork out $300+ for a pair of nice shoes.

While we are having a gripe, I am tired of the sea of black on display in Melbourne, worn by both sexes. Wearing lots of black does make you stylish; more often it's an excuse for sloppy dressing and boring clothes.

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep, sadly not much has changed in relation to men's business wear and in particular shoes. Of course, it's virtually impossible to find reasonably priced, decent men's shoes in Australia, and I blame retailers more than the public. IMO you can't expect the vast majority of guys to shop for shoes online. Equally you can't expect them to fork out $300+ for a pair of nice shoes.

While we are having a gripe, I am tired of the sea of black on display in Melbourne, worn by both sexes. Wearing lots of black does make you stylish; more often it's an excuse for sloppy dressing and boring clothes.

I have just about stopped wearing black tops for that reason and that seeing black, black and more black doesn't exactly help lift the gloominess on a cloudy day. Aussie public need to learn to put some colour back into their day.
I'm wearing red merino v-neck over sky blue bengal stripe shirt right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics