• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Really does. Even without reading that though, some of the threads on MC make me want to :facepalm:

I know, I know; just horsing around.

Know the rules, but like to break 'em whenever I feel like it. That... and I enjoy wearing my Carminas.

Besides, this is Oz; most people out there have no idea about closed lacing vs open lacing, so no one's going to give a toss either way.

Go figure.

:laugh:
I couldn't care less about the rules. Blind adherence is just as bad as ignorance. Just not liking the look of those shoes with the suit that's all.

Last edited:

MickyD

Reaction score
No cheaper than buying online, but at least you can try the shirts on in all the places along Jermyn St. Worth visiting anyway :)
(also worth going into Swaine Adeney Brigg for a drool, and John Lobb is just around the corner as well)
Same applies for shoes, no cheaper, but at least you can try them on.
Don't forget you can get the VAT refund when you leave too.
I ended up buying a suit at Ben Sherman (of all places...) on Savile Row - their suits there are MUCH nicer than what they have in store in Australia, and cheaper to boot. I paid 350gbp for a suit which fits me beautifully OTR.
The mens shoe department in Harrods is something to behold too, the weekend we were there they had Santoni doing custom colors on request - they had raw (bare?) leather shoes there, and dozens of bottles of colors which they would apply as required.

I really enjoyed London, it's just a shame we only had 3 or 4 days there before we went to Paris (which I absolutely loved, I cant' believe how much I miss a place that I only spent 10 days in)

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No cheaper than buying online, but at least you can try the shirts on in all the places along Jermyn St. Worth visiting anyway :)
(also worth going into Swaine Adeney Brigg for a drool, and John Lobb is just around the corner as well)
I ended up buying a suit at Ben Sherman (of all places...) on Savile Row - their suits there are MUCH nicer than what they have in store in Australia, and cheaper to boot. I paid 350gbp for a suit which fits me beautifully OTR.
The mens shoe department in Harrods is something to behold too, the weekend we were there they had Santoni doing custom colors on request - they had raw (bare?) leather shoes there, and dozens of bottles of colors which they would apply as required.

I really enjoyed London, it's just a shame we only had 3 or 4 days there before we went to Paris (which I absolutely loved, I cant' believe how much I miss a place that I only spent 10 days in)

Thanks Micky. Pretty much confirms what I suspected. Definitely going for a stroll down Jermyn St and Savile Row. Am probably going to have a squizz at the likes of Uniqlo, H&M and Massimo Dutti as well to check out another part of the market.

Andy1912

Reaction score
time for a new suit or two. what do you gents suggest
last 3 suits in order of purchase were
Navy SB
Charcoal SB from Herringbone
Light-Mid Grey SB

What next ? I am thinking another navy because the last one no longer fits that well.

How about a navy with pinstripe?

No cheaper than buying online, but at least you can try the shirts on in all the places along Jermyn St. Worth visiting anyway
smile.gif

You're kidding right? Expecting to buy something in London cheaper than online :D Now, if I really want to buy something in London, I would definitely go for a good shoe and then try to find a custom suit with price about £600.

btw, I'm Andy from Sydney. Nice to meet all of you!

fox81

Reaction score

So, off to London in a few weeks. Any recommendations or advice? Not planning a big spend but do want to pick up a pair of brown brogues and some nice shirts.

jermyn st has most of the large english shoe brands, as well as most of the english shirt makers. its also worth hunting out the cleverly store which is in an arcade off bond street, even if just for a look.
also do a lap of savile row. lodger shoes is on clifford street which is just around the corner. i also like suit supply for some cheap pieces, at the very top of savile row. go through burlington arcade as it has a lot of watch dealers and some interesting shops.

john rushton shoes, on wimpole st (just behind oxford st) also has some reasonable cheaney level offerings.

there is this thread, http://www.styleforum.net/t/219650/london-recommendations-early-feburary and it has a link to another thread within it.

as for the VAT, the refund process isnt the same as the GST refund. They take an admin charge, so of the 20% you pay, you might only get an equivalent of 13% back. remember anything purchased here in the last 30 days of over 300 dollars in value, you can get your gst back at the airport with the receipt.

bhall41

Reaction score

Thanks Micky. Pretty much confirms what I suspected. Definitely going for a stroll down Jermyn St and Savile Row. Am probably going to have a squizz at the likes of Uniqlo, H&M and Massimo Dutti as well to check out another part of the market.

That's good advice. Although virtually no shirts are made on Jermyn Street these days, it's still a fantastic experience to stroll along a street almost entirely dedicted to men's wear. I often used to browse there, when I was living in London. New & Lingwood, Turnbull & Asser, Edward Green, Crockett & Jones, Church and Trickers are especially worth investigating. I also love Paxton & Whitfield, the cheese shop, which was established in 1797 and has been in Jermyn St for over 100 years.

Also, nearby Burlington Arcade is worth investigating - a lovely covered arcade, with many beautiful shops, including watches and shoes.

Last edited:

fox81

Reaction score

i only rate uniqlo out of these. keep an eye on uniqlo.co.uk for the specials, as they always have decent offers going on. there is a boggi shop on jermyn st which is also good, although i think its priced at a slight premium to boggi stores in italy.

russell and hodge are the only london made shirts these days, over in fitzrovia. not sure youll get something sorted out in a few days though.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i only rate uniqlo out of these. keep an eye on uniqlo.co.uk for the specials, as they always have decent offers going on. there is a boggi shop on jermyn st which is also good, although i think its priced at a slight premium to boggi stores in italy.

russell and hodge are the only london made shirts these days, over in fitzrovia. not sure youll get something sorted out in a few days though.

Uniqlo. Boxer. Briefs. Are. The. Best.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, Uniqlo is the first port of call. Hopefully I'm not on some sort of blacklist after sending them a terse email about not shipping to Oz.

Boggi looks very interesting.

bhall41

Reaction score

Massimo Dutti is roughly equivalent to Boggi IMO- fairly classic range, reasonable quality, and good value (especially in countries of origin - Spain and Italy respectively). I own several items from both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads