• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well said JM. If MJBale is trying to mimic or take cues from suit supply they have a long way to go, a lot of their web pics are poorly put together or in clothes a size too small, seems to increase in frequency each year. Unfortunately I feel this is the look they are going for as what the younger guys or gfs think is appropriate.

On the plus side the web pics aren't always the reality, a number of jackets on their site can look too short yet when you try them on more often than not they are the standard length you'd expect. I'm almost certain that waistcoat would look good if it were the correct size for the model. Wider lapels would indeed be nice though.

ryanohare

Reaction score

Well said JM.  If MJBale is trying to mimic or take cues from suit supply they have a long way to go, a lot of their web pics are poorly put together or in clothes a size too small, seems to increase in frequency each year.  Unfortunately I feel this is the look they are going for as what the younger guys or gfs think is appropriate. 

On the plus side the web pics aren't always the reality, a number of jackets on their site can look too short yet when you try them on more often than not they are the standard length you'd expect. I'm almost certain that waistcoat would look good if it were the correct size for the model.  Wider lapels would indeed be nice though.

I actually think a lot of the MJB angst derives from their appalling web experience. They've gone down the route of flooding the web with EDM's, social media infestation, and half-decent SEO but their actual site is a user experience clusterfuch. The U/X is shoddy, the navigation poor, the message inconsistent, and the imaging is just cheap and shoddy.

SuitSupply's line of gear isn't that wildly different from MJB - S100'-S130's at a similar price range, using similar manufacturing techniques, but they've got the entire U/X spot on. MJB's site experience is just poor, and demonstrates a brand more intent on supply than service.

If they tidied that up, and got someone in who could help them take some decent images, it'd minimise the chances of something like that waistcoat above getting site-time.

ryanohare

Reaction score

They're priced well but the leather looks pretty bad from the photos on their website and I'd say that's why they're able to offer shoes cheaply. The stitching doesn't look all that great, either.

It's also worth noting that they're "handmade" in the same manner as other Blake-rapid welted shoes in that while quite a few of the steps are performed by hand, there's also machines involved with certain steps, too.

Cheers.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed x2. That pic is atrocious. Waistcoat exposing shirt and a belt to boot with trousers that need to be pulled up (either that of that waistcoat is way way too short, maybe bit of both).

MJ Bale items are not comically short though compared to say Zara and the likes. They are however probably about 0.5"-0.75" shorter in the sleeves to what seems to be standard. Which I do notice because a short little Asian like me did not have to alter the sleeves for once with jackets bought in Australia.

Regarding the lapels, I think they are quite moderate sized especially on like a s36 jacket. This is more a reflection of the times when mainstreet fashion trend remains with the ridiculously skinny lapels a la all the Roger David crud. MJ Bale is balancing trend of the times with the classy sensibilities. The gorge is incredibly high though which makes it look skinnier than it really is.

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone on the Northside of Canberra? Vinnie's Dickson has a couple of Harris Tweed jackets cheap and in excellent condition too small for me. Sigh!

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good news everyone! Just saw on one of those google ads in one of the banners here that there's extra 25% off all suits from Macy's - this includes collections by Sean John, Ryan Seacrest and the one and only Shaq!

lukejackson

Reaction score
I got an email that apparently Xile in Brisbane are doing made-to-measure suits now. I assume MTM. Not sure through who, but a maker in Napoli. $1750. Interested to see what stuff they have.

I never hear Brisbane members talk about this store, but I really like it. The staff are really nice and I have picked up some awesome discounted jackets and driving shoes there. One brand they carry is Bagnoli Sartoria Napoli (or something in that vein) which is super nice, I suppose a lower rung Boglioli.

They have, what I think is a house brand as well, Vizzari Firenze, which is also made in Italy. I don't think the quality is as good, though their shirts are very nice, they often have great linens and good collars.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feeling relatively thankful, I've been able to contact everyone in Nepal I was with, and everyone is okay. Unfortunately a couple of the guys lost their houses in the mountains but apparently the support is pretty good. Uni has been great with fund-raising, and I'm hoping it goes directly to the people. I quote one of my friends in Kathmandu, who says "life is back to normal as usual"

On heading to bed, I know we're going to wake up to some really terrible news tomorrow. I'm quite surprised the situation in Indonesia hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but I guess it's not a very popular topic.

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Feeling relatively thankful, I've been able to contact everyone in Nepal I was with, and everyone is okay. Unfortunately a couple of the guys lost their houses in the mountains but apparently the support is pretty good. Uni has been great with fund-raising, and I'm hoping it goes directly to the people. I quote one of my friends in Kathmandu, who says "life is back to normal as usual"

On heading to bed, I know we're going to wake up to some really terrible news tomorrow. I'm quite surprised the situation in Indonesia hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but I guess it's not a very popular topic.

It was definitely weighing heavily on my mind last night. The thought that I'll wake up, have breakfast and go about my life as normal and those poor buggers will meet such a brutal, inhumane end while we're all sleeping. ..

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fox good to hear about your friends Mrs GF and I gave to World Vision last night.

On that other matter its abominable that weak dysfunctional politicians can sacrifice a human life on the altar of power for their own electoral gain. What they did was wrong this is not justice but the exercise of political power at its worst.

Styleternity

Reaction score
I got an email that apparently Xile in Brisbane are doing made-to-measure suits now. I assume MTM. Not sure through who, but a maker in Napoli. $1750. Interested to see what stuff they have.

I never hear Brisbane members talk about this store...

It's relatively close to my work, and adjacent one of the few good coffee shops in Brisbane's minute conservative business dress.

To be honest, I have no substantial grounds for being put off Xile but if you've ever actually seen the store in person it's quite tacky. Empty champagne bottles on the bar out front, and loads of product just haphazardly stacked around the windows. They could really do with a good visual merchandising overhaul.

Will be sure to ask about their MTM service, but for the most part the guys I've talked to who purchased from them copped the usual suspects. Boss, Armani, all the fallen-from-grace couture titans are well represented.

Styleternity

Reaction score
Well said JM. If MJBale is trying to mimic or take cues from suit supply they have a long way to go, a lot of their web pics are poorly put together or in clothes a size too small, seems to increase in frequency each year. Unfortunately I feel this is the look they are going for as what the younger guys or gfs think is appropriate.

They're aiming for the same laddish 'wolf pack' centred lifestyle marketing which is essentially the most repulsive part of Suitsupply's MO.

However, say what you will about Suitsupply but they're churning out garments made with fabric from really great mills (I think they've started with Delfino for 1 or 2 seasons now?). Their stylistic cues are also much better suited to the Styleforum crowd, and as such I think they represent a more moderate balanced approach to dressing.

YudanGu

Reaction score
Speaking of MJ Bale, I certainly think that their current line-up is considerably better and more interesting than the stuff being churned out by the Herringbone/Rhodes & Beckett twins.

I do, though, think that MJ Bale does make some items that are too thin/shrunken - some of their jackets are too short and are cut too slim, with lapels that are very slim, and their ties are very similar.

Even acknowledging the current trend towards short/slim clothing, though, I've got to wonder what the heck MJ Bale was thinking when they decided to put up this photo as an advertisement for a waistcoat:

facepalm.gif
HeHe。。。I have 2 folder in my dropbox ,1 called “good sample” the other is “bad sample”。。。 Sadly lots of “bad sample” pic is big fashion brand's advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78