• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sydney siders -

Does anyone know an optometrist that does same day lenses?

Spec Savers has to send them away for 2-3 weeks to have them made up and fitted off-site.

I wouldn't mind having them made off-site, so long as they could fit them to my frames without them having to go away for a couple of weeks.

Time frames depend on your scrip if they are a grind or stock. Most labs turn grinds around in a week these days.

Arch3r

Reaction score
I like. Reminds me of what the guy from Putthison did.

My thoughts are as long as you have two 'work' shoes (i.e. black and brown) you can rotate, and nobody is going to notice apart from you.

Loafers and monks aren't essential either.

IMO though you could reduce it to this:
1. black-cap oxford
2. brown brogues
3. suede chukkas
4. white sneakers (if you feel you need them)

Agreed, I like the idea of having a collection that covers any scenario though. If you're going in for the minimalist list then sure but this is really just so I have all bases covered so I can then go and buy other shoes on whim which I don't really see as being necessary i.e. G&G St James in Vintage Cherry.

Looks like a versatile list! How about a penny loafer instead of string ones? Also hope to have a few more CJ's this year. We shall see....
Thought about the Carmina Penny in a dark brown suede but I think I'll start with the strings. That's not to say I won't pick up a pair after =P

Gerry - I think that the photograph is an inherently flawed medium, not nearly as amazing as painting. Next you'll be saying that you listen to hip-hop and find it musically satisfying!

PS: my work shoes are done

1. Brown Chelsea (Australia)
2. Brown Brogue (England)
3. Brown Captoe (Spain)

Play shoes are basically:
1. Jesus sandals
2. Cons (non-democratic colourway)
3. Big '**** off' sneakers
No black cap toes =( I think they are my favourite. Just no love or?

another pair of loafers I think, choclate brown leather tassel loafers never go astray.
I'm not sure how I feel about tassels... Having not owned a pair ever I'm hesitant to order any. Maybe I'll try some on next time I'm in Melb.

I checked out White Suede today. Doesn't actually rock my world. A little too soapy for my taste.

Oud Wood, OTOH... If another split is to be contemplated, my vote is for Oud Wood.

Hopefully our guardian angel PetePan can come to our rescue!
I'm not a fan of the White Suede either. Partner gave me a bottle of the Oud Wood for Xmas after I got a sample earlier in the year. It's got to be my favourite TF, having not smelt AA yet.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I like the idea of having a collection that covers any scenario though. If you're going in for the minimalist list then sure but this is really just so I have all bases covered so I can then go and buy other shoes on whim which I don't really see as being necessary i.e. G&G St James in Vintage Cherry.

I feel those shoes cover all bases.

Black cap oxfords and dark brown brogues can be worn conservative business dress.

The brown brogues can be worn with casual suits and odd jackets, and suede chukkas from casual suits and odd jackets all the way down to jeans and a tee.

Penny loafers are nice but chukkas can go most places a penny loafer can go, and an extra pair of brown oxfords isn't necessary.

My 10c anyway.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happ New Year guys.

I am still waiting for supplies of Noir de Noir and Neroli Portofino. Will update when they have arrived.

I am also making inquiries on Oud Wood. This one is slightly hit and miss depending on weather and your body temperature and skin chemistry. It is, however, more hit than miss. I think Tobacco Oud is also pretty unique for you discerning gents.

For you fellas who has different Tom Ford stuff such as Tuscan Leather, Amber, Oud Wood and Tobacco Vanille, dont forget that you can layer them, sometimes with quite stunning effects.

I still have extra Tuscan Leather and Amber Absolute available, if anyone is interested, just PM me. Please note that prices for Amber Absolute has increased 50% and once this current batch is my last ones available at old reasonable prices.

I am looking and testing some alternative stuff from Chanel and Dior exclusive lines for the next split. When I find a suitable one (and standards are quite high), I will put a proposed split here and see what you guys think.

Regards

Tendon

Reaction score
Sydney siders -

Does anyone know an optometrist that does same day lenses?

Spec Savers has to send them away for 2-3 weeks to have them made up and fitted off-site.

I wouldn't mind having them made off-site, so long as they could fit them to my frames without them having to go away for a couple of weeks.

Hey, I remember the EyeCareCompany does same day lenses at least at their George St Wynyard store at least the last time I visited them. Not sure if they still do or if their other stores do, but you could give them a call to check. http://www.theeyecarecompany.com.au/locations.html

And yes as stated before it does mostly depend on your script.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Archer - black shoes are just too severe for me - I have no need to be that classic, conservative or conservative business dress.

freebird1985

Reaction score
Hey guys does anyone of you know if harrolds has the new generation of TOM FORD Denim and how much they cost?

And second question anyone of you been to the Melbourne Harrolds Outlet Store?

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I have. In fact, bought quite a few items there, including my TF suit which was just barely affordable at 50% discount.

There's a lot of expensive rubbish there. Good stuff is mostly in odd sizes. They stock a lot of fashion-forward oddities which you might like if you're young, slim, and a brand whore.

Correct strategy is to browse with discernment, and be prepared to walk out kop-less.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYE: like fxh, I spent it alone with just some cooking utensils, ingredients, and (most importantly) a bottle of fine wine.

Char-grilled porterhouse with Coxy's secret reduction, and a knobette of Café de Paris butter -

2006 Giaconda Estate pinot, served (of course) in Riedel Sommelier glassware -

I'm alright Jack, bugger you.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYD: got up late. Made and consumed many macchiato coffees. Tidied apartment (high degree of difficulty - possessions piled high everywhere, legacy of merging two households' worth of stuff when I moved back to Melbourne from Shanghai). Ironed about 12 shirts. Made lunch at 5pm. Washed it down with a beer. Tidied some more. Sorted out clothes to identify potential discards. Poasted nonsense on SF.

Wifey is in Sydney so I can just get ahead and do what needs doing, without having to worry about entertaining her. Life is good. (But I do miss wifey.)

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I checked out White Suede today. Doesn't actually rock my world. A little too soapy for my taste.

Oud Wood, OTOH... If another split is to be contemplated, my vote is for Oud Wood.

Hopefully our guardian angel PetePan can come to our rescue!

Do any of you chaps deal with the estimable master-classter? He has Oud Wood, and many other TFs for sale. His prices are very reasonable and he ships to Oz. I have dealt with him and can recommend him.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score

Nothing wrong with Mongrels DB I use their inner soles in some GP boots that only see light in Winter. I used to favour Rossi Work boots or DM when I was working in mental health, or in kitchens for that matter.

Bay of Fires Pinot Noir Tasmanian very nice and the Bass Phillips Crown Prince unfiltered PN is very enjoyable as well.

Haven't heard of them before - will chase up mate, thanks

My famous navy blue single breasted AG suit, has bubbling over the jacket, gotta love fused. This was purchased pre SF, still not a lot of life in the suit....

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYE for me was hooking up with some folks we haven’t seen for years, to test drive their new back garden and BBQ area. Drink their home-made red and enjoyed a feed of sausages, tandoori chicken, salads and summer pudding. Watched the fireworks on TV and then hit the ha around 1.30pm.

Today was very quiet. Spent most of the time fiddling with my home entertainment system, integrating an Apple TV and culling more cables than I can count. It works, which is the best I can hope for.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As U2 once sang all is quite on New Years Day, until some bastard started up his Victa. Then The Immitation Game love the clothes, very interesting film. Mrs GF cooked dinner which was nice and tomorrow I have to work, damn the dark gods of HR!

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year. (I suppose.)
Two stinkers in a row. I'm under the air con wearing one of my xmas presents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members