• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pharmaboy
So, if thats the quality equation - how about the style one?
wink.gif

I'm 6'3" and 90+ kgs.
I have 3 Canali suits of that model number (but in the regular, not the long). I've also tried on loads of the same model. I have a regular sized torso and long legs (and prefer a shorter jacket anyway). They are all a classically styled suit. Medium to softer shoulders, high armholes, generous sleeves with a clean chest and a moderate amount of waist suppression. I prefer the models with softer shoulders, some models have stronger shoulders.

The flat-fronted trousers are quite slim, thankfully they come with about an inch of extra material in the inseam (and about two inches in the waist) so there is plenty of room for alterations. The single-pleat trousers are as expected..roomier.

I've tried on a few Caruso suits at Harrolds but never looked at the model tag. They were like my Canali drop 7 suits but with very soft, natural shoulders. They look great.

I've bought the Polo Bradford trouser in a 36" waist. They are flat fronted but I didn't need any alterations. I've tried on the jacket. A nice classic cut but the shoulders use cheaper materials in the padding (maybe just a single pre-formed pad?) so it doesn't fit as nicely as my more expensive suits...but its still a good cheap suit.

I have no idea about the Oxford 1220 line.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kickstart
So guys...what kind of knots do you tie in your ties?

Four-in-Hand
Half-windsor
Windsor

Apologies if this has been covered!

Always a FIH for me, never any type of windsor etc. I will do a DFIH on 2 of my knit ties that have a tendency to slip during the day with a FIH, the double is tighter and keeps it in place better but generally I am not a fan of the knot, seems a little affected but PG seems to pull it off well. Plus I'm 6"2 and need all the length in my ties I can get. I am really looking forward to my navy wool Sam Hober coming soon with extra length (first Sam Hober).

__PG__

Reaction score
Anyway, I took the new tuxedo out for a spin last night. I almost committed a sartorial faux-pas of immense proportions. The wedding began outdoors and I had on a grey overcoat...which I took off as I sat down to begin the reception...

..to find that I hadn't snipped the tag off the outside of the sleeve yet.

My wife panicked and was about to take the tag in between her teeth but fortunately we found a paramedic who had a handy swiss-army knife who managed to cut it off.

Something that we did wonder at our table. With a wing-collar shirt.... does the collar go over the top of, or behind the bow-tie? Is there are had'n'fast rule or does it depend on height of collar relative to size of bow?

I wore a pocket square for the first time ever last night as well.

ColonialBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pharmaboy
I only want 2 - already have a dark pinstripe charcoal, a medium charcoal by cambridge and co, and a black SI which is already a little worse for wear - so I figured navy blue would be a good start and something lighter, particularly for summer. The navy will probably make double duty as a blazer down the track with some contrasting buttons when the pants wear. Dont know whether it makes a difference, but i wear ties generally, though not over summer - side effect of being on the road and getting in and out of a car ;(. Any advice or comments greatly appreciated
Get a navy suit as you suggest. Pay far more attention to suit/shirt/tie combos. An eye for colour is FAR more important than a big cheque book. You just need to know what's in fashion - see that plain ruby tie/white shirt/charcoal suit combo that Grant Hackett was wearing on Ch 9 today - I've already bought the same style tie cheap on ebay. Have a look at shirts with splayed collars, they are in fashion. Have a look around here at what works and what doesn't.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ColonialBoy
Russell Athletic from Amazon - quality thick cotton in numerous colours. Has a pocket.

I go to Best and Less when they're on sale.
biggrin.gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
What sort of suit are you after? Solid charcoal for work? Subtle/flashy pinstripes? 3-piece P.O.W check? Unstructured cotton/elastane? Black linen?

If you give me some more info I can go and do some scouting for you.

uhoh.gif

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Anyway, I took the new tuxedo out for a spin last night. I almost committed a sartorial faux-pas of immense proportions. The wedding began outdoors and I had on a grey overcoat...which I took off as I sat down to begin the reception...

..to find that I hadn't snipped the tag off the outside of the sleeve yet.

My wife panicked and was about to take the tag in between her teeth but fortunately we found a paramedic who had a handy swiss-army knife who managed to cut it off.

Something that we did wonder at our table. With a wing-collar shirt.... does the collar go over the top of, or behind the bow-tie? Is there are had'n'fast rule or does it depend on height of collar relative to size of bow?

I wore a pocket square for the first time ever last night as well.

Behind... always.

On the subject of pocket squares... who here uses them regularly?

3ff3z8e

Reaction score
I use a white or blue/white stripe cotton pocket square in a tv-fold for my normal workdays and slightly more flashier silk designs and folds for fridays and the weekends.

I'm not sure if it's just me but I seem to notice a certain increase in pocket squares in the Sydney conservative business dress....

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pretty much everyday, though I rarely go beyond white or light blue. I have plenty of others but they never get worn. There is a cool printed cotton one with burgundy as part of the pattern my GF bought back from Japan for me last year which gets worn for sentimental purposes, but the burgundy in it looked great with my new Carmina's, white shirt and light grey suit, complete with complement from a very attractive client... ha ha

JSSM

Reaction score
Also throw in shoes, scarves and gloves.

Does anyone know of a decent quality ankle boot (zip or slip - not laced/chukka)? Something like that which is adundant in the department stores, except decent quality and not quite so ugly? I haven't found anything on Pediwear or Herring.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Behind... always. On the subject of pocket squares... who here uses them regularly?
Pocket squares. Every time I wear a suit. Breast pocket is naked without one. Range of colours and textures. Compliment shirt and tie, but never match the tie. See http://www.linenforsummertweedforwin...r.com/archive/ for a few examples of my poor attempts to dress well. Rarely think someone is completely stylish in a suit without a pocket square. My humble opinion.

Gassyndrome

Reaction score
I don't know enough yet to decode it enough The 'V2' prefix means a 2-piece (whereas my V3 denotes a 3-piece). I'm not sure which part denotes the city/trend/other model.

It's interesting that you say there isn't much room in the trouser. I have cyclist thighs but found the trouser cut in my Versace quite generous and it needed no alteration of the inseam or seat at all. I guess could also be related to the mode..

It was the super slim one that was tight at the mid thigh. I could still fit it on but I felt like I may have been testing the 'structural integrity' should I ever need to tie my shoelaces.
biggrin.gif

The one I bought fits (and looks and feels) great - still snug enough to get me out of the habit of winter cheeseburgers though!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSSM
Also throw in shoes, scarves and gloves.

Does anyone know of a decent quality ankle boot (zip or slip - not laced/chukka)? Something like that which is adundant in the department stores, except decent quality and not quite so ugly? I haven't found anything on Pediwear or Herring.

Sounds like you might be looking for a "chelsea boot" (such as those made by RM Williams here).

If so, here's one from C&J on Pediwear.

Here's a C&J jodhpur boot - a similar style, but with a strap closure instead of elasticated gores at the sides.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
On the subject of pocket squares... who here uses them regularly?

Every time I wear a jacket.

I must admit that the most commonly worn ones are a plain white linen one, and a light blue linen one with white edging, both from Kent Wang.

I've got a few patterned ones from Herringbone, both linen and silk, and some gingham check pocket squares from SF member "sonlegoman".

Otherwise, I've quite a few printed silks in a variety of colours and patterns that I've picked up around the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads