• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liber

Reaction score
ya - me in my beige linen below

we have white, oatmeal, beige, brown, navy, black and a few more Italian linen 300g/sq

I can source Irish linen via Ariston too however i personally think too heavy for Aus
Nice suit, good shirt, excellent collar!

*Edit: Oh and compliments or something...

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI - Herringbone Sydney popup

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/152156

Pop-Up Herringbone store opened today next to NAB Branch at 345 George Street Sydney, offering up to 70% off everything.
Plenty of boxes of shirts, good variety of styles and sizes. Boxes are replenished often so currently plenty of stock. Includes some Boston Brothers shirts too.
Not so many suits/jackets/trousers etc.
Asked how long they expected to be open, to which they said 2-4 weeks.

Men's

Shirts $60
Ties $45
Suits $400
Jackets $150
Trousers and Chinos $75
Knits $65
Cufflinks $50
Belts $40
Boxers $20

If anyone heads down, I would be interested in a proxy for size 40 knits, and maybe a 40 jacket. PM me if you do, please.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re Zegna and a sheep station.

I'd assume that Zegna want a bit more control and to use the station as a testing round for various innovations or experiments. They will be able to play around and see whether (wether. hehe) any vertical integration has some benefits. They will also have control over issues like mulesing. Its generally underestimated here how much impact the coverage of mulesing has had in other countries and impact on wool manufacturers. Zegna has eased back on some Australian events due to mulesing and lack of action, and bullshit, by industry bodies here. Owning a property will allow them to have a proper look at mulseing and alternatives instead of relying on industry spin.

The advances in achieving lower micron wool will also allow Zegna to experiment in this area. There is the possibility that low micron wool can substitute for a lot of the cashmere etc industry which is already under some sustainability pressures.

The Australian Wool industry bodies and political organizations have been the growers worst enemy over the years and caused immense damage to Australia's image and trade in higher value wool. The idiotically managed floor price years (decades) and subsequent too little too late adjustments caused many byers and nations, Japan and Italy and UK in particular, to lose trust in the industry here. A trust that hasn't really been regained.

I wont mention the fact that despite being the worlds largest producer of fine wool by a very very wide margin and the billions of taxpayer $ poured in to prop up the wool industry over the years we still have a mining dig it up and ship it in bulk attitude to wool and still have not managed to have a fledgling value add industry in wool.

The industry should be thankful that Zegna even bothered to invest here and not say put the money into South American wool production and tell the Australian wool rent seeking industry to sing Waltzing Matilda and go jump in the billabong.

smeggett

Reaction score
re Zegna and a sheep station.

I wont mention the fact that despite being the worlds largest producer of fine wool by a very very wide margin and the billions of taxpayer $ poured in to prop up the wool industry over the years we still have a mining dig it up and ship it in bulk attitude to wool and still have not managed to have a fledgling value add industry in wool.
So do you reckon there's a possibility that we (the royal 'we' that is) could successfully produce and export woven cloth to not only local markets, but the world generally?

I'd imagine dyeing and weaaving (is that even the word in these technological times) machinery comes with a large initial capital investment, and perhaps a low ongoing labour cost if current automation trends in other manufacturing industries are anything to go by (looking at European manufacturers here). I suppose one would need a volume commitment for a number of years to ensure the initial return on the capital investment (to ensure financing could be obtained). And definitely located in a country area to keep rents low... Or just set up in middle Asia somewhere with cheap land, power and labour and not have to worry about losing the house!

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Epic post of high quality FHX,

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So do you reckon there's a possibility that we (the royal 'we' that is) could successfully produce and export woven cloth to not only local markets, but the world generally?

I'd imagine dyeing and weaaving (is that even the word in these technological times) machinery comes with a large initial capital investment, and perhaps a low ongoing labour cost if current automation trends in other manufacturing industries are anything to go by (looking at European manufacturers here). I suppose one would need a volume commitment for a number of years to ensure the initial return on the capital investment (to ensure financing could be obtained). And definitely located in a country area to keep rents low... Or just set up in middle Asia somewhere with cheap land, power and labour and not have to worry about losing the house!

Not here, well not anymore.

When I was with Fletcher Jones some 10+ years back now the then owner Ted Dimmick (now deceased) owned some of the last remaining mills in Australia to do essentially the same thing, control the process etc (no idea where the wool was farmed though). This is when stuff was still made in Warnambool too so less miles sending wool/fabric around the place. Costs were too high in the end and it's likely cheaper to actually weave it somewhere like Italy and have a brand name like VBC or whatever attached to the cloth..

nickjersey

Reaction score
How are the following shoes for work. I've had them for years, but never needed them.

If they're a no go. What would people recommend for $150-200 max.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't need them why replace them?

You won't get decent shoes at that price range - you're in that no mans land of corrected grain and chipboard.

You're better to shoot for a pair of Loake 1880s from Herring Shoes or Meermins RTW range at $300.

If money is short, you're better to buy 2-3 pairs of relatively plain British-made shoes than 6+ 'look at moi' ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy