• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
wow that looks good - how about a linen blend, something that's appropriate for a formal business environment for summer? anyone else here with experience in linen suits they'd like to share?

We have a wool/linen/mohair blend. Linen in the weft and wool in the warp. Still has the slubbiness of linen however better memory to help with the creasing. Still wont ease creasing like a pure wool. PJohnson have other blends to help with the creasing i.e. wool/linen

If you are getting into linen you need to have the expectation of creasing, its part of its charm.

Stebbin

Reaction score
If you don't need them why replace them?

You won't get decent shoes at that price range - you're in that no mans land of corrected grain and chipboard.

You're better to shoot for a pair of Loake 1880s from Herring Shoes or Meermins RTW range at $300.

If money is short, you're better to buy 2-3 pairs of relatively plain British-made shoes than 6+ 'look at moi' ones.
I believe it's still possible to get decent shoes for under $200, albeit you have to go to overseas channels. I have a couple of pairs of MTO calfskin shoes from Shanghai Tianzi which are exceptional quality for the price of $221 USD. I've also found another supplier of goodyear calfskin shoes in China that make sub-$200 shoes. I haven't tried them yet but if they can deliver, it's a ridiculously good deal.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could just be me but I don't think MTO is a great idea for a shoe noob.

Stebbin

Reaction score
They do come in standard sizes but the flipside is you don't have an opportunity to try them yourself before purchase, which has problems for the relatively inexperienced.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Figured that would be the case. I'm still amazed that Italian costs are (still) as low as they are. Back in the late ninetys or early naughties, I was talking to a sales rep from Balcombe Flanges (based in Melbourne) and (whilst totally unrelated to anything remotely sartorial) he told me that their company could buy finished flanges drilled to whatever flange pattern (ANSI, Table D, E, F, etc) from Italy (made pretty much by cottage industry over there) cheaper than they could buy flange blanks (i.e. a round piece of metal) over here from local manufacturers.

Kind of scary when one thinks about it, especially when cheap manufacturing from China wasn't part of the equation back then as it is now.

Smeg, extremely impressed with the flange discussion. Should be more of it.

There was an excellent article that kind of explained manufacturing in Europe (Germany in particular) and how it excelled (traditionally at least) at the mid size company level. Was all based on family run businesses usually tied to a small or medium sized town. Interesting stuff.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
I believe it's still possible to get decent shoes for under $200, albeit you have to go to overseas channels. I have a couple of pairs of MTO calfskin shoes from Shanghai Tianzi which are exceptional quality for the price of $221 USD. I've also found another supplier of goodyear calfskin shoes in China that make sub-$200 shoes. I haven't tried them yet but if they can deliver, it's a ridiculously good deal.
Pics would be great, there's very few in-the-wild pics I've seen of Shanghai Tianzi.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've posted several photos here of my Shanghai Tianzi Shoes. For the price, they're ridiculously good (quality is very good, too, especially for the price).

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've posted several photos here of my Shanghai Tianzi Shoes. For the price, they're ridiculously good (quality is very good, too, especially for the price).

So, would you say the quality is good, for the price?

Last edited:

Stebbin

Reaction score
More that the price is good for the quality, if I am interpreting correctly.
The calf leather they use gets buttery soft around the heels and ankles after repeat wears and they can also put on a topy sole for free if you order their goodyear welted shoes. An excellent value proposition, especially with the option of custom sizing and designs.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WIWY - Hail 12C. Winter Ivy
Jacket - Vintage Anderson Little - Tweed brown, 3 button, no darts, hook vent, natural shoulders, 1/4 lined etc.
Shirt - LE Hyde Park blue OCBD before they went wrong
Tie - Vintage Australian fine weave wool brown
Trousers - Euroa Clothing (Aust)- what we here call moleskins but really a soft thick twill. 8" bottom - 13" front rise. Not sure they still make 'em like this
Shoes - Dark Brown pebble grain and suede brogue co-respondants.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DLP or GTFO.
I don't see an open/closed lace differentiation as relevant - open lacing can be just as elegant as closed (e.g. C&J Brunswick) and some people simply can't wear closed laces comfortably. 
The difference for most will be the colour and upper design (i.e. brogueing) which can go from a suit to khakis in formality. 
Calm down little buddy.
Open or closed is a descriptor - not a preference.
AFWIW I think in most cases theres bugger all difference that people would notice in closed or open.
I have often touted open laced as more forgiving and therefore best for fit in many cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy