Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

That might have been me, although my suit was more mid-grey.
    Yeah..with a solid navy tie?

What shoes were they?

And when did Tapatalk support SF? Woo-hoo!

2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Yeah..with a solid navy tie?

What shoes were they?

And when did Tapatalk support SF? Woo-hoo!

Nope, I had a black and white patterned tie on that day, IIRC.

Been using Tapatalk to browse SF for a while now. I just added it to Favourites, and it seems to work just fine.

3. California Dreamer

If it was a PoW it may have been me.

We really are going to have to have that coffee. I walk past your building twice a day.

4. quar

quar Senior member

I was thinking about emailing Napoli Su Misura to see how many orders would be required to convince them to visit Melbourne / Sydney. I guess this is a hoop-dream, but would any of you guys be interested (and willing to put a deposit down) to secure a visit (and some Neapolitan goodness)?

5. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

We really are going to have to have that coffee. I walk past your building twice a day.

Greg better do it quick mate! I have just taken up a new role with our new overlords at AMP and will be starting in late June, which means I have to move out further into Docklands (i.e. behind the NAB building).

6. California Dreamer

Will PM you. NAB building is only a short walk from here anyway. (We banks like to keep an eye on one another).

7. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Will PM you. NAB building is only a short walk from here anyway. (We banks like to keep an eye on one another).

What, now that you've broken up with each other?

8. California Dreamer

What, now that you've broken up with each other?

All the more reason to obsess over our ex. We have yet to find a new love in our life.

9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

All the more reason to obsess over our ex. We have yet to find a new love in our life.

Customers? [​IMG]

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

In Fridays Australian Wish magazine the bespoke articles mentioned the book Savile Row: The Master Tailors of British Bespoke by James Sherwod.

Has anyone read this? I would be interested in any opinions on it as I am contemplating buying it.

Last year I read Bespoke: Savile Row Ripped and Smoothed by Richard Anderson which I found informative and entertaining. And would be interested in any other books people could recommend on mens fashion particularly those with a strong historical focus.

11. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Ok I need some advice regarding starch and wing collars. I have an older Tuxedo shirt that was bought pre-SF. Having said that is is not too heinous. It has a pleated bib with a fly front and a wing collar.

My question is what is the best strategy to make the collar as stiff as possible? Should I start starching it now and repeat this a few more times before I wear it in a few weeks? Or just starch the hell out of it on the day?

I have a can of Crisp spray starch. Do I need something stronger to get the job done?

12. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

I can recommend "Gentleman: A Timeless Fashion" by Bernhard Roetzel. Should be in print still available. Dodgy cover.

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

Ok I need some advice regarding starch and wing collars. I have an older Tuxedo shirt that was bought pre-SF. Having said that is is not too heinous. It has a pleated bib with a fly front and a wing collar.

My question is what is the best strategy to make the collar as stiff as possible? Should I start starching it now and repeat this a few more times before I wear it in a few weeks? Or just starch the hell out of it on the day?

I have a can of Crisp spray starch. Do I need something stronger to get the job done?

Years since I starched anything. Can't remember about the spray. The best shirt starch is rice starch - mix it up with water - warm to hot - and soak shirt - then iron.

Starch makes things look crisp and clean and with a slight sheen. It also stops dirt and grime from getting into the collar (or any) material. Starch washes out.

I've no idea if you can even buy starch these days.

Some would argue that a wing collar is too old school, belongs with white tie, and is costume these days with black tie. Turned down collars are more than acceptable with black tie these days.

It's a very rare black tie event I've ever been to that more than 50% of the men were in a dinner suits and black tie anyway - so I doubt anyone will care about a winged collar. Possible even most people think a winged collar is correct.

14. California Dreamer

Customers? [​IMG]

They are our first and ongoing love. NAB was just our bit on the side. Now that they've jilted us, we're in no hurry to replace them. [​IMG]

15. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Thomas Pink slim-fit Marcella shirts (with turndown collars) are on sale at DJ's for $130.

The TM Lewin versions are available on-line for $80 plus postage.

But the wife has vetoed any evening shirt purchases. I just bought a new tux two weeks ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.