Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kickstart

kickstart Senior member

Depending which part of Oz you are in you may well be overdressed.

In theory a cocktail party is 5 pm for 5.30 pm till 7.00 pm. And it is supposed to be a transition - you are coming from somewhere and going some where - true cocktail parties don't kick on - they finish at 7 pm on the dot and importantly don't serve a full meal - although if you are sneaky you can often scoff enough nibbles to make up a meal.

Thanks very much for the info! Good little read there.

A white shirt it is.

I will likely have more than one sherry for you [​IMG]

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Appreciate the post, very informative. This part gave me a good giggle.
    I'm only new to every day suit wearing and I'm a bit out at sea with what it takes to properly maintain a suit. In the past I didn't wear them frequently enough to notice how much damage regular dry cleaning actually does, but now I'm certainly becoming more aware of it. Any chance you could outline yourself, or point me in the direction of a post that provides a bit of a guide on how to properly care for a suit to enable me to get good value for my outlay.

If you're only dry cleaning a suit once or twice a year, how do you ensure the suit stays looking clean and fresh? I've seen some special cloths for ironing which I am led to believe can be quite helpful and I'm sure not treating your suit like a disposal rag (i.e. your friend) helps, but any other tips and hints you could maybe provide me with?

Sorry for the rookie question, but I certainly appreciate any help that can be provided. Thanks guys

I honestly have to remind myself to dry clean things - they don't get dirty.

Suits are partly a signal (or signifier) that you don't have to get dirty by manual labour. In theory, and to some extent in practice, you shouldn't be wearing a suit if it gets dirty.

I don't wear a suit every day. I used to but now days I wear sportcoats most days and suits for certain occasions. But here is no difference in care for either suits, pants or jackets.

I think the Australian environment is influenced by the Italian and Greek immigrants and materials and tailoring and that sport coats at work are more acceptable than it might be in UK where they signify different things.

The Italian and Greek influence has been through tailors and some similarity in climate.

Basically with wool hanging stuff up and airing it is enough. Brushing with a reasonable clothes brush is a good idea. No need for expensive horse hair or exotic animal hairs.

The brushing gets out organic substances which might attract moths and gets dust out and diesel particles or hair from your blonde PA at work or the cats at home. It also brings up the nap of the wool a bit and makes it more alive.

Its nice if you have one of those Valet hanger things to hang it outside the wardrobe overnight either before or after you wear it.

Hanging a woollen garment in the bathroom whilst you have a shower and letting the moisture steam up a bit is good. Wearing a jacket - suit or otherwise in light drizzle is the best way to get it to conform to your shape and relax and not look "new". My theory is that this is why the English clothes/ jackets often fit better - its their constantly moist weather.

Hanging your woollen stuff outside in a breeze on a spring day is a good way to get any smells out.

A decent hanger which is curved around neck and has a wide pad at end of shoulders helps. Hang pants at least from 3/4 or from cuffs so that the weight straightens them out. Plastic or wood doesn't matter. I get mine from http://www.meipicchi.com/index.php?m...t01returnid=20 but the ones I used to get from K Mart are possibly better.

I never have to iron suits - although ironing pants might be useful every now and then.

This might depend on if you are hard on clothes or not.

edit:: oh and if you do iron don't have iron directly on material - use a damp cloth - large hankie in between and always use steam. Don't iron lapels flat.

3. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

^ what sort of brush do you use out of interest fxh. I don't brush but probably should once I take delivery of my new MTM suit later this month (in the interest of longevity).

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

^ what sort of brush do you use out of interest fxh. I don't brush but probably should once I take delivery of my new MTM suit later this month (in the interest of longevity).

Just some old couple of brushes I had - nothing special

5. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

[​IMG] < at the retailers

Checky ... where are all the photos of your trip and all the stuff you bought mate?

I probably should, it was a great but expensive trip. The way I see it I did my part for the British economy. Ended up buying the GF a Prada purse on the last day (it's the least I could do after buying three pairs of shoes for myself)

Just started breaking in the shoes - let's just say my feet are quite sore!

6. lennier

lennier Senior member

"A bespoke suit will invariably be fastened at the cuff with four working buttons; the button closest to the cuff is usually worn unfastened".... [let me finish that for you]....

.... if you are a douchebag.

I resemble that remark! (but let's not start that hoary old debate again here [​IMG] )

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

checksta - there you go - evidence your honour

Its about 8 inches long

edit:: the brush I mean - the other thing is just normal length - for me 12"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Depending which part of Oz you are in you may well be overdressed.
    Others who have problems with wear in clothes might chime in with better advice.
    Ahh - those ones are more likely to be populated by boys with a drink and their cock in hand.....
    edit:: oh and if you do iron don't have iron directly on material - use a damp cloth - large hankie in between and always use steam. Don't iron lapels flat.

- BRAVO, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts tonight in between fumbles by the Force & Rebels.. Pray the Waratahs will play 2 halves later.
    - now if only we could replace all the comic genius BS with your posts..

9. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

- BRAVO, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts tonight in between fumbles by the Force & Rebels.. Pray the Waratahs will play 2 halves later.
    - now if only we could replace all the comic genius BS with your posts..

Were you watching the right game?

Force played out of their skin and came away with a great win

10. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Were you watching the right game?

Force played out of their skin and came away with a great win

- correct, they did pull their socks up in the 2nd half

11. kickstart

kickstart Senior member

Just a quick recommendation for you fellow Australians.

Received a few things from 'Katolan' who offers a proxy service based out of New York this evening.

Someone was recommending his work a few pages back. I concur - will be using him again soon!

12. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

I use a Kent Brush

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Suits are partly a signal (or signifier) that you don't have to get dirty by manual labour. In theory, and to some extent in practice, you shouldn't be wearing a suit if it gets dirty.

I don't wear a suit every day. I used to but now days I wear sportcoats most days and suits for certain occasions. But here is no difference in care for either suits, pants or jackets.

I think the Australian environment is influenced by the Italian and Greek immigrants and materials and tailoring and that sport coats at work are more acceptable than it might be in UK where they signify different things.

The Italian and Greek influence has been through tailors and some similarity in climate.

Basically with wool hanging stuff up and airing it is enough. Brushing with a reasonable clothes brush is a good idea. No need for expensive horse hair or exotic animal hairs.

The brushing gets out organic substances which might attract moths and gets dust out and diesel particles or hair from your blonde PA at work or the cats at home. It also brings up the nap of the wool a bit and makes it more alive.

Its nice if you have one of those Valet hanger things to hang it outside the wardrobe overnight either before or after you wear it.

Hanging a woollen garment in the bathroom whilst you have a shower and letting the moisture steam up a bit is good. Wearing a jacket - suit or otherwise in light drizzle is the best way to get it to conform to your shape and relax and not look "new". My theory is that this is why the English clothes/ jackets often fit better - its their constantly moist weather.

Hanging your woollen stuff outside in a breeze on a spring day is a good way to get any smells out.

A decent hanger which is curved around neck and has a wide pad at end of shoulders helps. Hang pants at least from 3/4 or from cuffs so that the weight straightens them out. Plastic or wood doesn't matter. I get mine from http://www.meipicchi.com/index.php?m...t01returnid=20 but the ones I used to get from K Mart are possibly better.

I never have to iron suits - although ironing pants might be useful every now and then.

This might depend on if you are hard on clothes or not.

+1 very well said. Wise words indeed.

14. meister

meister Senior member

Can't help myself...

The success of internet shopping is not just the reduced price. It is the dawning on yer average punter how much he has been ripped on quality. Apparently dry cleaners hate Country Road. It says dry clean everything (KACHING!) But when the buttons fall off, the shirts shrink and the colour fades - the customers go spare.

My tailor tells me the cheating starts with the cheap jack thread they use and continues from there. AUD5 dollar shirts that sell for AUD100+!

Then Target announced that the wages have grown so much in China (PRC) that they are moving production to India/Bangladesh. Even the wages in western/outer provincial China!

You gotta hope their anti-Internet shopping campaign fails.

15. meister

meister Senior member

[​IMG] < at the retailers

Checky ... where are all the photos of your trip and all the stuff you bought mate?

No pix = didn't happen!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.