• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Out to a friend's daughter's first birthday party today - big racist term for brown people family, fantastic food as always, pulled pork, black sesame slaw, fresh prawns, chilli chicken, boutique beers. Great comfort food for the ****** weather here. Also, can officially state seasons have turned in Sydney as I moved all my summer/linen/cotton jackets and chinos into storage and woolen jackets, cords etc. back into main wardrobe. Punxsutawney PoP has spoken.

Yesterday arvo had some free tickets to a Fashion Week event, chicks' clothes only but free drinks in the bar made the trip worthwhile. Always good to see what's going on anyway as some of the trends come down to menswear. With women's clothes I'm even less of an expert than men's but IMO some horrible stuff (neoprene sheets with hole cut in stapled on head etc.) but also some very good also. As an aside the models all looked underage and very underfed poor things. Judging by this show white and teal will be big next S/S season; good news I may get some more wear out of my Colonel Sanders seersucker jacket next year.

Same as Oli - I think hes been pulling the pork too!

Thanasi

Reaction score
I know its lame advice but how about you wear what you feel comfortable in that still looks professional? You say you sell to technical people so if you know your product and the technical details of its application and can discussion how it might improve their respective environment/configuration are they likely to even notice your attire, even more so because they are technical people?

All im saying is how about you get a suit which looks good on you and worry about the formality of it later? For example a great suit with a nice shirt, unbuttoned top button and no tie looks a lot less formal regardless of the quality or nature of the suit. Slickness (in a manner that may erode credibility and remind people of gordon gecko) is always going to come from how you wear it and what you wear it with - rather than the suit itself (for the most part).

Maybe a suit isn't for you yet, a sportscoat with the right trousers and shirt can still look professional without being too formal.
Hmmm, I'll still have a chat with the guys at the SuitShop and see what they say. Of course they'll want to sell me a suit. I have not worn a suit since my 20s, when I worked as an Accountant. Nowadays in I.T. and glad to work around more relaxed environments. But still in my 40s and think I need to get back into the suit thing without the formality and have it feel as normal as jeans and a white t-shirt on Saturdays.

Thanks for the lengthy response. I appreciate it.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No wonder the courts take forever with no real deadlines.

So " You must have the cut and paste from internet essay in by Friday 11th @ COB" actually means "Hey kids you are Gen x/y/z or whatever so take your own sweet time- we certainly wouldn't bully/dis/mark you down/attack your self esteem by suggesting the deadline means something"

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a bit of a joke what uni has become, all they seem to care about is getting money from International Students.

As per this weekend.

Had lunch with TBM and Nabil, went to PJs(we were there around 1130, CD), had work, went to a disco, and just studied today.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sunday sun is out so change sheets put washing on then gym to pound crap and last nights Pinot out of system. Have lost 20kg since September, wonder if it's due to the Mad Monk? Or intensive training and becoming part of Quantified Self Brigade?

Put washing out put more washing on and Brad Mehladu Toyoko solo CD. Read Saturday papers not much not even much too go off at in the Oz. What is world coming too?

Late afternoon flick The Geand Budapest
Hotel visually interesting and highly enjoyable. Then dinner at Chez Frederic in Braddon post hipster cuisine with disposable plates and cultery, still good food and prices, good Pinot. Recommended to fellow Camberrians.

Make it home before rain and bring last of washing in, watch news swear at Fat Bastard, read, check mail, SF and wait for Jack English.

Last edited:

jmills

Reaction score
Doing a constitutional law paper on the s 51(i) re trade and commerce. After that, I have a conveyancing letter for my dip prac (late), a ****** reflection for my dip prac (late), an assignment for commercial law and then another paper for constitutional law.

I hear you, my semester has been excessively work heavy due to poor lecturers and too many assessments.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I went antique shopping. Almost bought a pair of jade and silver cufflinks, and another pair of Jemsen cufflinks that caught my eye until I saw the price tag.

I went home with a bottle of vintage perfume, in box, from 1923. A lovely thing.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
For anyone interested I was at Harrolds in Sydney the other day and they have tailors coming from Brioni for a couple of days next month. I think it's a regular thing and they will obviously be in Melbourne to (it being the flagship store).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads