1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

^Is that bottom suit the one that used to belong to your dad, Cox?

It looks very nice - both conservative and elegant.

2. eljimberino

eljimberino Senior member

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

For all guitar heads out there the Mahavishnu is coming to town miss it at your peril. Just got tickets for the Sydney in October.

1 person likes this.
  4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Sounds like it will be a real meeting of the spirits.

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

Festival Hall - only concert I ever slept through.
    May have prepared too much.

The signs were there - he came out and meditated in silence for what seemed like an hour before starting.

2 people like this.
  6. md2010

md2010 Senior member

on my last day at NY picked up this summer suit. 48% Flax and 52% Wool. Quarter lined , completely unstructured. Navy pinstripes in a casual setting. Pants have side adjusters. 2r3 , double vented. Also picture of my latest PZ . Absolutely beautiful. Patterns matching is flawless. BTW it feels good to be back home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Geoffrey Firmin

Granddad sure the fault wasn't with your hearing aid? Or too much hydroponic before the show?

8. Geoffrey Firmin

The Pinot is aired (Tasmanian), the beer is cold and the pizzas are prepared.

Although it's a round ball quote it's appropriate "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." Bill Shankly

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of War! Go the Wallabies!

1 person likes this.
  9. billbro

billbro Active Member

Just had two suitsupply suits break on me, unfortunately they didn't last as long as I expected for suits that I wear once a week :( If only they sold pant separates (apart from the 3 suits in the new season), I could salvage both jackets.

It seems like I'll have to venture down the MTM path, as you guys say, 'fit is king' and it's proving to be the case in terms of longevity of my trousers (my Lee Baron suits are still kicking).

Any recent reports on Herman Bros? I did a quick search and read the greed and disgust review, though wouldn't mind some thoughts from paid commissions. I had a chat to Nick from SuitShop on Friday and Sasha from Brent Wilson - the latter has been ruled out, but now it's a matter of deciding between SuitShop and Herman's - hopefully Herman has some availability tomorrow for me to swing by.

10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

What happened to them? What sort of fabric was it?

11. Geoffrey Firmin

12. Top Change

Top Change Well-Known Member

Speaking of Herman Bros and Co. here's a little piece that a mate of mine worked on about it.

http://thehounds.com.au/features/herman-bros-and-co/

13. billbro

billbro Active Member

I have disproportionately sized quads (aka fat), so the fabric wore out - I probably should have gotten bigger silk saddles put in, but that probably would have only slowed down the process marginally.

One pair of trousers has already been repaired before, the other pair could still be used if I took it to a tailor - but based on the last pair, that would be like a $75+ job that would only add a few more months of life.

Both suits were VBC 110 fabrics, one was a purple line plain Navy from SuitSupply the other was blue line birdseye fabric. Comparably the Lee Baron suits I've had for longer and are still working are also VBC 110. I'm not sartorially inclined enough to know how heavy the wool was though, except I did tell Peter when I got them made that I wanted something durable.

Interesting read, will try and visit Herman tomorrow if he is available.

Given his offering and price point, it's likely I'll end up going with Herman over SuitShop... but that'll depend on initial impressions, as Nick was pretty good to chat to.

----

So much for Herman and Bro, just got a reply from Herman that he is taking a little break from the business. Depending on how long it is, looks like I might have no alternative except to go with SuitShop.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Large thighs do cause problems with trousers wearing at the crutch. I've got big legs from cycling and then putting on weight once I stopped cycling and started eating more!

The cut of the trousers can make a difference, but I think that two things that help the most are the fabric and the frequency of wear. Getting a very smooth, hard-wearing, worsted fabric will help your trousers to last, whereas getting softer fabrics and textured fabrics will increase wear and reduce the life of the trousers. Having a decent rotation of suits and trousers, so that your trousers can dry out and rest between wears, will also help.

There's an old thread here with some thoughts on the issue:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/224309/help-trousers-pilling-and-wearing-through

Ethandesu chimes in with some useful thoughts:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/224309/help-trousers-pilling-and-wearing-through/45#post_4181362

Quote:

15. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Aus members:

Heading overseas soon for an extended period of time (perhaps a few years, perhaps longer).

Applied for the 28 degrees credit card, is the citibank everyday account the best one to use while overseas? Just looking for as few currency conversion, ATM withdrawal fees, etc, as possible. Once I get settled I'll open up a bank account in the country, but that'll be a few months in.

16. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Yes. See the whirlpool wiki links I posted earlier. Those cards are all you need. If you can find Citibank ATMs where you will be overseas then you can avoid fees and charges altogether.

17. billbro

billbro Active Member

Thanks for the links.

I always thought fabric was the biggest factor with wear around the fork. However, when I was chatting to Nick from SuitShop he was telling me that fit is probably more important - I was only really after VBC 110, but he told me due to the weave that he actually preferred a 130 cloth he had. I would have assumed that the latter would be less durable, but then I'm not particular across the durability of different weave types.

Normally each suit is only worn once a week, so frequency of wear shouldn't be the issue with me, nor are they usually dry cleaned. I think it's probably the fact that there is a fair amount of walking done in them, whether it's for client meeting or just the general commute.

I do need to sort out some new suits though, to prevent wearing out the existing ones!

18. JayH

JayH Senior member

It depends on the body type. If you have strong thighs that rub when walking the fabric is going to wear regardless. Ill fitting trousers will only wear faster.

Fabric is important, and again the level of importance placed on fabric is dependant on the physiology of the client. If you have issues with the crotch wearing I would suggest high twist fabric, rather than worsted, for it's durability and aversion to shine and wear.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  19. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Thanks JM. That suit is indeed one of the two I inherited from my father. Took a lot of alteration to get it to fit, but the basic cut across shoulders and chest is excellent, so it drapes well on my frame.

McLaughlin is one of the most talented, yet inconsistent players around. Look for any Mahavishnu clip on YouTube and you will see a terribly self-indulgent, sloppy guitarist whose machine-gun shredding barely covers up a lack of musical ideas.

Then check out live clips from his trio with Jai Eckhardt and Trilok Gurtu - a completely different animal. Tight, fast, complex, bursting with ideas, three musicians absolutely on fire and in love with each others' virtuosity.

The October gigs will be with his more recent band The 4th Dimension. Let's hope he's on form.

2 people like this.
  20. Geoffrey Firmin

This is one of the best things he has done IMHO [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Had the CD of this for over twenty years.

Just ordered some Bills on STP oh the pain of the exchange rate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.