• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wedding shoe uppers arrived from Woottens today. First fitting needs to by done by Skype since I can't get to Melbourne. The leather is nice and soft and certainly much better than my worst nightmares were beginning to manifest. They don't look very dress shoe-ish though . Is that a trait of having no sole or a shine yet?
no sole definitely does that. I've got a pair of CASUAL cap toe Oxfords. and that's because of the affect of thin soles and no welts. The thick cotton laces in white and the blue hue in photo does it too.

ovlov

Reaction score
no sole definitely does that. I've got a pair of CASUAL cap toe Oxfords. and that's because of the affect of thin soles and no welts.

The thick cotton laces in white and the blue hue in photo does it too.

Actually they are blue. Leather is "Deep Sea" Baby Calf. Was hoping it would come out a little lighter to show up some antiquing down the track. But I need them to be dark enough to wear to work later so happy anough with colour anyhow. Laces obviosuly need to go though. I assume they are just cheapest possible placeholders for the fitting process

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Romp and JM.

It's a suit I'm eying off, in navy with brownish stripes. Absolute stunner but would only get worn half of the year in Brisbane, which I suppose would assist its lifespan...

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A heads up before I put these on B&S and ebay.

If anyone's interested, I'm selling a pair of Church's custom grade Darwin penny loafers in brown calf. Marked as a UK10G, I reckon they would suit a UK9 with a medium to wide foot.

I'm a UK9.5 or UK10 and these feel too short - the width is fine. The shoe is on the 93 last.

AUD120 including shipping within Australia.

More pics at http://gezzasmenswear.tumblr.com/post/74457347380/churchs-darwin-custom-grade-calf-leather-penny
More info at http://www.church-footwear.com/en/UK/man/loafers/darwin/nevada-ebony and http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...andid=4&catid=6&oldcolid=34&stype=0&overlay=0

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses concerning ties. I'm really happy with the way the tie has come out, bar the bump. If you feel it it's as though the lining has bunched up. I'm considering asking my tailor to open it up and see if he can fix it, or try it myself. I will try your method first, fxh.

And here you can see the bump on the top piece.

CoffeeDudeGuy

Reaction score
I would disagree.

A few months ago I managed to spill BBQ sauce and kebab oil on a grenadine.

Any attempt I made with a damp cloth to get it off only made things significantly worse.

Talc powder? Something to absorb the oils rather than smear them all over. I reckon pour on, leave for a day or two, then dust off. Seems to work for most oil stains on my clothes.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
foxy - hard to tell without feeling it (as the actress said to the bishop) but it looks like as if the lining has twisted and / or been ironed into that shape?

You could easily undo the tie stitching yourself - c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y - possibly fix it and then stitch it up yourself - c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y -

kayhill

Reaction score
Ties are NEVER the same after dry cleaning. I haven't had to for a long time, but wouldn't even bother id just turf it.

Definitely.

I once got a laksa stain on a brand new Zegna tie. Sent it off to the dry cleaners as a last ditch attempt and it still haunts me to this day.

eightace

Reaction score

Oufit today:

Items include C&J Connaught, Henry Carter pocket square, Ateseta tie, Zambelli shirt and Anthony Squires suit.

The missus said I scrubbed up all right.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Please - We don't need details of your sex life here.

Besides, you ice the area, then scratch off protein stains!

Blend the powdered form into one's protein shake. Waste not, want not, as my grandmother used to say.

On topic; brown suede penny loafers recommendations. Have at me. Almost wearing through the heels of my driving mocs that I've been wearing casually, and wanting something where I can replace the heel once the rubber is worn down. Next level heel walker, reporting in.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On topic; brown suede penny loafers recommendations. Have at me. Almost wearing through the heels of my driving mocs that I've been wearing casually, and wanting something where I can replace the heel once the rubber is worn down. Next level heel walker, reporting in.

There are many choices. What's your budget and what kind of brown?

LIke this?

Darker like this?

First is Kimber, the second is Carmina.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or this type of brown and chiseled toe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads