• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
David Jones sale isnt bad - 20% further off already marked down prices. Just bought a pair of retro super future sunnies for $147 down from $300.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Might be worth looking into the XE-1 if you're missing interchangeable lenses that much. All reports are the Fuji X line of cameras are fantastic in every regard.

Joiji - the X line is indeed great and I really enjoy using the X10 (and the X100 that I had before it).

Don't think that I haven't thought about getting an XE-1 (and I've also thought about getting the more expensive X-Pro 1, too)!. However, I just don't want to spend that much on a camera at the moment, as tempting as it is!

Also, I really like having an optical (or hybrid optical) viewfinder, so the electronic viewfinder in the XE-1 is a little bit of a turn-off for me, too.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be worth looking into the XE-1 if you're missing interchangeable lenses that much. All reports are the Fuji X line of cameras are fantastic in every regard.

Having recently read dpreview's "first impressions" on this camera's replacement (the XE-2), I have a major hard-on for it.

Problem is, two years ago I invested in a Panasonic GX-1 with the 14-42mm internal-focus pancake lens. Great, great camera, but focusing can only be adjusted "by wire" via a rocker switch on the side of the lens, and it's extremely difficult to get pinpoint manual focus in practice.

The XE-2 is slightly larger all over than my GX1 and the current lens line-up is extremely limited, so I may hold off for now.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
Hi Gents

I will be taking the family down to Sydney next week and if anyone can recommend any decent cafes/patisserie's/organic eateries?

I'm after something Gourmet Traveller/coffee geek...

Also any not too expensive places for dinner- love asian/European anything decent really.... Perhaps something craft beer related?

Thanks guys

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Gents

I will be taking the family down to Sydney next week and if anyone can recommend any decent cafes/patisserie's/organic eateries?

Also any not too expensive places for dinner- love asian/European anything decent really.... Perhaps something craft beer related?

Thanks guys

cafes: Devon, Kepos St Kitchen, Double Roasters, Reuben Hills, Paramount Coffee Project. if you have time, out at haberfield, must try Pasticerria Papa's - they make a very mean ricotta cheesecake.

dinner: (asian) china doll, Ms. G's, Mr. Wong's (glorified yum cha, not cheap)

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, and i think El Jannah is worthwhile a visit, though it is a bit out west - excellent charcoal chicken. make sure u also get their falafels.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oh, and i think El Jannah is worthwhile a visit, though it is a bit out west - excellent charcoal chicken. make sure u also get their falafels.

never thought someone on this board would mention EJ's - but El Jannahs make the most delicious charcoal chicken + garlic sauce. I prefer it over fine dining any day lol

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've recently changed hands but have retained current staff for 18 months. Expect them to go downhill by end of this year.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Gents

Thanks guys

DB

Where are you staying

Send me a PM I'll fill you in on what i know

Also I will be in town next week want to catch up for a coffee ?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DB

Where are you staying

Send me a PM I'll fill you in on what i know

Also I will be in town next week want to catch up for a coffee ?
Likewise cc me into the pm if you like and I'll add some value where I can.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Likewise cc me into the pm if you like and I'll add some value where I can.

By all means would be a pleasure I'm back and forth between Sydney and Avoca for the next week then in Sydney to the 18th

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Does anyone know which suiting fabrics are more durable? 

I know on one end your plain weaves like worsted and twill last longer whilst nailhead and birdseye wear quicker but where does stuff like sharkskin, herringbone and pic-and-pic fall? 

Generally the flatter weaves will be more durable (especially trousers) however for more durable you would want to go heavier in weight and in a 100% ie no blends. We have guys who blow out their crotch due to thigh rubbing and abuse and they get s80 380gram worsted from our dug dale bunches that do the trick. The other issue is that it is hot and promotes sweating which is another factor of premature wear,

Which model you get, Romp?

Also, when is Suit Shop in Melbourne back open for business?

Got the Panama, yellow specked frame and blue lens. I might swap the lens out if the colour no good,

Suit Shop reopened Tuesday 7th. Looks like I might have a shop location for Melbourne too.. Quite close to 101 collins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads