• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

crappbag

Reaction score
I think EJs has become too mass-produced and over-hyped these days. Still great food but I would suggest Al Aseel for a broader range of authentic Lebanese cuisine.

There is an Al Aseel in Surry Hills not too far walk from Central Station (10mins).

Also recommend Pho Pasteur for Vietnamese (in Chinatown). Tokonoma in Surry Hills for upmarket Japanese. Chur Burger, also in Surry Hills. Fratelli Fresh for cheap Italian.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second Fratelli Fresh always a good feed at Walsh Bay

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here tried Andy Tom driving shoes? Comment re quality/size?
I'm keen on picking some up but dunno if they'll be able to accommodate my big fat feet
frown.gif

This was asked a while back.

I think the general consensus is that they are great moccasin - as good as Tods. Though they are a driving shoe after all. Don't expect them to last as long as steel cap work boots.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think EJs has become too mass-produced and over-hyped these days. Still great food but I would suggest Al Aseel for a broader range of authentic Lebanese cuisine.

There is an Al Aseel in Surry Hills not too far walk from Central Station (10mins).
I agree but the original Al Aseel has also had the makeover treatment. The food is still excellent but I miss the hole-in-the-wal kebab shop aesthetic complete with blown up (pardon the pun) photos of 1970s Beirut. They actually had a restaurant in Brighton back in the day which was literally blown up!

Not been to the Surry Hills version I don't think but probably like the Newtown incarnation, more expensive and more 'upmarket', which is good and bad. For one, they serve alcohol unlike in the Islamic Republic of Greenacre.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seeking a sky blue linen shirt French front or sky blue micro check anyone seen anything like this in the Sydney sales?
And Mr Porter have this very tempted by it http://www.mrporter.com/product/359822

Can't help - but soon I'll be able to tell you how to get huge shiraz stain out of the front of a linen shirt post NYE. 24 hours soaking in Napisan doesn't do it so far.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't help - but soon I'll be able to tell you how to get huge shiraz stain out of the front of a linen shirt post NYE. 24 hours soaking in Napisan doesn't do it so far.

What about making a paste of equal parts Napisan and water, rubbing it into the shirt on both sides of the stain, leaving it for 24 hours and then a soak and wash?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you cure it first in salt? Found that is the best way to get wine stains out. Napisan is good use it on white shirts once every couple of months. Mrs GF swears by Sard soap as a stain remover.

Had a surprisingly good bottle of Pinot tonight Hoddles Creek Yarra Valley, the AFR recommended their Chardonnay as one of the years best and the PN is on the same level, very nice indeed.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Anyone here tried Andy Tom driving shoes? Comment re quality/size?
I'm keen on picking some up but dunno if they'll be able to accommodate my big fat feet :(

Friend of mine owns andytoms

Quality wise they are miles ahead of all the other shoes at the same price range ... Made by ex tods workers in Florence where as the competition are made with inferior suede and rubbers in Asia.

That said having tods and these, the suede used isn't as good and the inner foot base and lining also not as good.. But they are about 80% as good and they are less than half the price

ovlov

Reaction score
Friend of mine owns andytoms

Quality wise they are miles ahead of all the other shoes at the same price range ... Made by ex tods workers in Florence where as the competition are made with inferior suede and rubbers in Asia.

That said having tods and these, the suede used isn't as good and the inner foot base and lining also not as good.. But they are about 80% as good and they are less than half the price
Thanks guys.
You've definitely sold me on their quality. Any word on fitting/sizing though?

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fxh maybe soda water would help lift the stains as well as rubbing the area with a napisan paste/ bicarb paste as Gerry suggested.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops didn't actually quote the thing I was replying to, but, apropos the Filson discussion:

Each of eastdane.com and revolveclothing.com offer free shipping to Australia.

http://www.revolveclothing.com/DisplayProduct.jsp?product=FILS-MY18&row=0&column=1&c=Filson&d=b

http://www.eastdane.com/original-briefcase-filson/vp/v=1/1537182408.htm?folderID=20501&colorId=12560

Not sure how well those prices compare.

I was eyeing off a zippered tote bag, although I am going to try to pick up a Red Label version in Tokyo for maximum #menswear value...

Last edited:

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
Thanks Mr Firmin, Mr PoP, Sliq and even the often maligned Mr Jimmy the Gent Hoffa for there suggestions fir my Sydney trip!

One more q though, is there anything similar in quality to the Bourke St Bakery in the eastern burbs?

Can't wait to see H Bucks and PJ's too...

Cmon Aussies at the SCG!

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading to the Armoury today - want to get a well fitting whtie shirt if I can. Let's see what they got.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matt, hope you are enjoying HK. I just visited the Armoury smaller shop at Landmark yesterday. Whilst they have nice stuff, the prices are inflated by quite a bit. Also not sure if they actually stock any shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads