• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense TBM, you look great, but I'd say all but 3 maybe 4 people(you included) look ******* dumb.

i think the word you're looking for is 'effortless'. plus, it's menswear photos, not nobel prize awards, so you don't need to intelligible or dumb
smile.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No offense TBM, you look great, but I'd say all but 3 maybe 4 people(you included) look ******* dumb.

I gave up reading DMarge quite a long time ago because most of the writing is shallow, facile and irritating. There's really no difference between DMarge and GQ, as far as I can see.

Anyway, looking at those photos (with the notable exception of a few people, such as TBM) reminds me of why I'm spending less time reading, talking about and looking at fashion on the internet nowadays. It's just too irritating.

Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which suiting fabrics are more durable?

I know on one end your plain weaves like worsted and twill last longer whilst nailhead and birdseye wear quicker but where does stuff like sharkskin, herringbone and pic-and-pic fall?

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ones made by RMWs should be durable. I jest. Welcome back! Where you been?

I saw some RMWs on what I believe is called the Macquarie last (is that the one, Fox?) and they're pretty darn good looking!!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know which suiting fabrics are more durable? 

I know on one end your plain weaves like worsted and twill last longer whilst nailhead and birdseye wear quicker but where does stuff like sharkskin, herringbone and pic-and-pic fall? 

I suspect that someone like fxh will be able to chime in with a good response.

In my experience, sharkskin and pick-and-pick are both durable. Herringbone (again, in my experience), both as a shirting and as a suiting fabric, tends to be quite soft and not so durable.

I'm really quite pleasantly surprised by just how well some of my worsted wool and sharkskin fabric suits have worn. A charcoal suit from Herringbone in a gray charcoal worsted cloth has been worn every couple of week for the past few years and there are no signs of wear in the trousers yet, but I've got other pairs of trousers that have worn out in the fork after only a year or so. The same goes for my sharkskin suit from Deer Style - the cloth is light yet wears very well and is showing no signs of wear as yet.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alert Gerry Nelson. Tommy Hilfiger has a surprisingly nice quilted blazer in beige herringbone wool fabric.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
More tie finds from me. I would never wear Versace ties given my age and preference for simplicity, but I do appreciate the concept. I feel like they are art pieces more than wearable accessories. Does anyone have a good link to a history of the various periods of design for these?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was at DJ's Hornsby today looking for shorts sadly the locusts had gone through and not one in my size. So while I waited for Mrs GF I watched the annual running of the bulls.

One poor clown was piled high with ties, shirts and trousers that mother had chosen for him, poor bastard.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy new years guys. Been off the radar for a week while down in mollymook braving the crowds. Weather has been fantastic and the water warm. FXH will be shocked to hear i havent worn socks for 6 days.... Bugger all vodafone reception here. I'll be home in 3 days to a pile of orders and a bunch of new Bresciani socks to upload! Stay safe and see you in 2014.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1505281_10202107946374170_402175744_n.jpg

Happy new year. You guys are the ******* best. I honestly can't thanky you all enough for welcoming me in.

Love always.

Boxhound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics