• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One load a week isn't enough. You are going to have around 10 shirts to wash each week of 7 days.

You need some basic principles, many of which I used to think didn't need to be stated, but I was wrong.

Assuming you wear shirts to a work situation 5 days a week where you might also wear a tie and where cleanliness is valued. If you are in a manual job you will still wear a clean shirt each day.

Starting Sunday - you'll need a clean smart causal shirt to go out to say brunch or lunch with friends or family. You'll probably continue to wear this all day until you go to bed. End of day = 1 dirty shirt

Mon - 1 clean work shirt - in summer you may have a spare to change into halfway through day - come home @ 6.30pm - change into casual shirt for at home. Go to bed take off shirts = 2 dirty shirts.

Tues. Same as Mon = 2 dirty shirts

Wed ditto = 2 dirty shirts

Thursday - work shirt - then out for meal drinks etc = 2 dirty shirts

Friday - ditto = 2 dirty shirts

Saturday - clean casual shirt - grocery shopping in AM, afternoon visit friends or gallery etc - change shirt, then out at night - change for clean shirt = 3 dirty shirts.

Total by Sunday 14 dirty shirts.
Now you might be slightly different and wear a t-shirt or PJs at home at night - or stretch the sat casual shirt to all day. But you are going to have at least 8 dirty shirts.

You might even sneak your at home casual shirt over 3 days or so - still up around 7 shirts to wash.

You would NOT wear a shirt for more than one full day ever.

You will normally hang shirts outside to dry.

If you can manage it you will drip dry shirts.

You understand that dryers are only for underwear, sheets, towels or emergencies. In emergencies if you must use a dryer you will use it on low heat or cool only. You will resolve not to have self induced emergencies due to your own lazyness.

Each night you will drop each of your dirty shirts into a bucket of cold water to soak until you wash.

You will wash a load of shirts at least twice a week.

You will wash, usually in cold water, on gentle cycle. You will only use a small amount of detergent - at least half that recommended.

You will inspect for stains prior to washing and put something on stain.

Every couple of weeks you will soak a bunch of your shirts in Napi San or its equivalent in a bucket of warm water for 24 hours prior to washing.

Your shirts will be clean, fresh and last a long time.

This is what I (mummy) has been doing and my shirts still get a little on the nose when I iron them - should I use a hot was from time to time?

bboowwyy

Reaction score
Any other aussies enjoy thrifting?
Looking through the thrift bragging thread, i'm amazed at some of the awesome stuff they find over in the US.
Anyone have any favourite finds or bargains?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oli- I'm not the only one here a bit confused. There's something lacking in the story. I can't recall having well washed cotton shirts smelling without being worn. Or even much when worn normally. There's something you are not telling us. What do you mean they smell?

kayhill

Reaction score
Looking through the thrift bragging thread, i'm amazed at some of the awesome stuff they find over in the US.

I wear your granddad's clothes,
I look incredible,
I'm in this big ass coat,
from that thrift shop down the road.

Couldn't help myself.

Like the lyric in that song, the only thing I've ever bought from a thrift store - a jacket - smelt mildly of piss.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm currently wearing a wool sweater i thrifted that is grandpa worthy. Balmain, of course. California Dreamer is a prolific thrifter in here.

we have nothing on the US people. bigger population = better access to extreme goodies.

i've got a few favourite finds; vintage Balmain trench coat.. cashmere overcoat.. my favourite tie is thrifted as well. vintage hardie amies.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oli- I'm not the only one here a bit confused. There's something lacking in the story. I can't recall having well washed cotton shirts smelling without being worn. Or even much when worn normally. There's something you are not telling us. What do you mean they smell?

Under the pits my shirts develop a sweat smell.

At first it only becomes noticeable when I iron them, but over time they will start to smell in the pits at any given time.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use laundry bags (for want of a better word) when washing my shirts - they are mesh bags with a zip at the top, and I use a separate one for each shirt. It stops the sleeves from getting tangled up.

I'm not sure where you can get them in Australia, but I picked mine up at a Y100 shop in Japan.

what JM says. use the japanese mesh bags/laundry net. they are very handy for work shirts. they even have a special bag for wool items. can be found in japanese dollar shops.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oli this is dragging on. Are your shirts 100% cotton, do you sweat a lot, do you wear shirts for too long, while you are sweaty, do you use an it persperant, do you shower at least once a day, do you wash under you arms properly, do you soak shirts in napi San prior to washing, do you rinse them well, do you hang then outside in wind, rain and sunshine. If the answer is yes, then there should be no smell. Unless cat is sleeping and pissing on the shirts after they are washed.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Under the pits my shirts develop a sweat smell.

At first it only becomes noticeable when I iron them, but over time they will start to smell in the pits at any given time.
Start applying rexona clinical protection when you go to bed (wear an undershirt though the stuff can stain). This will vastly reduce you sweating and prevent this from happening again in future. Putting the shirts in a soak until ready to wash will also reduce this.

If a hot wash doesn't resolve the damage to existing shirts, stir napisan into a small amount of water and form a paste, spread it all over the smelling/affected areas. Give it 5 mins to soak in then throw in the wash.

That's all I got, goodluck and godspeed.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oli this is dragging on. Are your shirts 100% cotton, do you sweat a lot, do you wear shirts for too long, while you are sweaty, do you use an it persperant, do you shower at least once a day, do you wash under you arms properly, do you soak shirts in napi San prior to washing, do you rinse them well, do you hang then outside in wind, rain and sunshine. If the answer is yes, then there should be no smell. Unless cat is sleeping and pissing on the shirts after they are washed.

100% cotton. I wear my shirts from 8am until bed.

I am on a form of blood medication, its side effects include a high body temperature. So I sweat more than your average person, but with deodorant and driclor it is manageable. I like to think I wash properly.

Currently, my mother uses a Whirlpool front loader, does a quick wash setting with cold water, a quality Omo powder and then line dries.

bboowwyy

Reaction score

I wear your granddad's clothes,
I look incredible,
I'm in this big ass coat,
from that thrift shop down the road.

Couldn't help myself.

Like the lyric in that song, the only thing I've ever bought from a thrift store - a jacket - smelt mildly of piss.

Haha yeah, some of the clothes smell very suspicious. But i tend to stay away from them, not buy them!

i'm currently wearing a wool sweater i thrifted that is grandpa worthy. Balmain, of course. California Dreamer is a prolific thrifter in here.

we have nothing on the US people. bigger population = better access to extreme goodies.

i've got a few favourite finds; vintage Balmain trench coat.. cashmere overcoat.. my favourite tie is thrifted as well. vintage hardie amies.

Nice. I've seen a few licensed Balmain items that were made in Australia. But nothing worth picking up.
It would be awesome to take part in their thrift trading, but unfortunately postage costs prohibit that.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

100% cotton. I wear my shirts from 8am until bed. 

I am on a form of blood medication, its side effects include a high body temperature. So I sweat more than your average person, but with deodorant and driclor it is manageable. I like to think I wash properly. 

Currently, my mother uses a Whirlpool front loader, does a quick wash setting with cold water, a quality Omo powder and then line dries. 

Generally smell is little alive bugs or micronisms or something bacterial, they are alive so killings them is the go. Freshman, breeze and sunshine works remarkably well. Sticking in a bag in freezer for 24 hours works, if you sweat a lot, change shirts a lot. Don't let dirty shirts sit and absorb stains and smells. Wash them quickly or soak until ready to wash.

There are treatments to address excessive sweating, some use botox.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads