1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Most large business orientated hotels have good lobby/cafe facilities. Pick a chain and check out their Melbourne set up. It will pretty much be the same in all their hotels. Most of them you can see online pics anyway. I used one in Sydney a while back - was fine - cant remember what it was called. Had multiple levels and plenty of free tables and couches, but enough people not to feel deserted. Good range of newspapers etc. For the price of a coffee, not much more overpriced than a hipster dive, you get table service and get to read Fin Review, Govt. Gazette and local rags.

otoh I cannot advise you on which cafes Eddie Obeid owns or is planning to own.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Using this spreadsheet I need an 8k monitor-- [28-32" screen, ~1m view distance and 20/10 vision (i.e above average eyesight)].

If I were to set up a separate tv I certainly wouldn’t want it to have a worse FOV width.

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

You don't need it, but you would be able to perceive the difference between that and your current one at least. :)

5. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

My point was that his position on 4k screens goes against a reasonable FOV width which he also recommends, he isn’t being internally consistent. Using 20/20 vision is questionable too.

eta: having NNEDI3 up-scaling could be a problem at that res.

6. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Oh, I just mugged some little old ladies.

7. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

True.

But to actually perceive the difference between 1080p and 4k, people of average eyesight are going to need to sit about 3-4 feet away from a 55" screen. That's pretty darn close.

Trying to simplify it all a bit, what I'm saying is that, taking into account the viewing and living room situation of most people, there is really no point getting a 4K set that is less than about 85"..... Now that's an expensive TV.

And you'd still have to sit about 5 feet away to see the benefit. That's very, very close.

Most people are sitting more like 7-10 feet away. At that point you're looking at a TV that's 120-130" !

Who has room for that in the house?

So really it's a choice between

a) getting an enormous TV that's very expensive and takes up entire wall or
    b) moving all your furniture very close to the TV

With option B, viewing angles become a big problem if you've got a few chairs.

Most people seem to be quoting optimum/necessary viewing distance for 4K TVs at 1.5 x picture height. I just don't think that will suit most people.

I think 4K will go the way of 3D.

*edit enough off topic stuff, let's move on.

8. crappbag

crappbag Senior member

Link to discount code? (purchase drought - it's a purchase flood where I am)

9. joiji

joiji Senior member

10. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

11. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

Could any Sydney members recommend what would be an appropriate weight for flannel trousers?

I believe 12 oz should be fine, but 14 oz might be getting a bit on the warm side. Thanks.

12. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

This. With the Right gone NSW Labor is decimated.

13. Romp

Romp Senior member

I just made a pair of 300 gram I would t want any heavier

14. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

It is often the cover up rather than the initial fuck up that brings them down. He obviously didn't take or listen to legal advice, which should have been to the effect that he should not be entirely unequivocal about something alleged to have happened three years previously. Memory is a funny thing, which you know if you have ever looked at an old document which you no doubt wrote, but have no recollection of doing so.

Whilst I don't doubt he is straight, I'm not sure I would want a Premier who couldn't remember being gifted a $3000 bottle of Grange less then three years ago, or at least who was not canny enough to realise that he may have been but couldn't remember.

15. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

And 14oz is too heavy for Sydney. Let alone 26 oz.

16. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I bought a Trent Nathan 80% cotton 20% cashmere vneck some years back and I've found it warm enough for autumn here in Canberra. As for winter if its part of a layered ensemble it's fine.

17. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Do you wear it formally or casually?

18. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Cut is also important. If you like looser trousers then even 12oz flannel can be a bit breezy on a cold winter's night. Then again if you have your pants super tapered then they will wear a lot warmer.

In general though I think 10-12oz is the most versatile weight for our climate.

19. joiji

joiji Senior member

Looking to sell these if anyone here is interested.

[​IMG]

Vass - Punch captoe derby, black calf.
    F last, size 45 EU (10.5/11UK)
    Single leather soles, sole protector applied.
    Worn less than half a dozen times.

$425 shipped within Aus, happy to split shipping outside of Aus.

20. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

They're beautiful - wrong size?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.