1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

PoP yeah - its not as if NSW Labor isn't into grime and corruption up to its pussy bow. Hell even I knew not to have a quiet chat and drink with Eddie Obeid years ago and I'm not even from NSW

2. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Staggering.

There's a pretty well worn path on what to say in the circumstances to stay away from trouble.

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Maybe he's suffering from early-onset senility and genuinely didn't recall receiving a phenomenally expensive bottle of rare wine, and of then telephoning the man that sent it to him and then writing a personal thanks note?

4. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I always thought that the athletes who spend the number of hours they do out there, come back to the post-event news conference pretty fatigued.

It's different from soccer/rugby/footy players who've been out there for 80/90 minutes: They do appear rather lively, possibly from the adrenalin still pumping.

Even the F1 drivers, who have been out there for about an hour or so, take such a beating to their bodies that they're just... exhausted.

I've seen Jimenez's post-WGC win interview last year, and Bubba's this year - they're pretty funny guys. Just.. exhausted.

5. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Cool, looks like a nice TV.

4K might become "standard", but it will also be useless to those without enormous TVs and huge living rooms, or you sit very, very, very close to your TV.

What the chart shows is that, for a 84-inch screen, 4k resolution isn’t fully apparent until you are at least 5.5 feet or closer to the screen. For a “tiny” 55-inch screen, you’ll need to be 3.5 feet or closer. Needless to say, most consumers aren’t going to sit close enough to see any of extra resolution 4k offers, much less 8k.

It’s important to note that research by Bernard Lechner (former VP of RCA Laboratories) found that the average viewing distance of American TV viewers to be 9 feet. This is substantially farther than the 5.5 foot distance required to fully resolve normal-sized 4k screens. I don’t see people rearranging their living rooms to take advantage of the otherwise unnoticeable UHD resolution benefits.

http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

1 person likes this.
  6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

He must have lost his copy of the Bob Askin playbook.

7. The Ernesto

Indeed.

Here's a random question (seems to be the place for random topics at the moment): hypoallergenic pillows - recommendations, experiences?

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Just a heads-up – for anyone looking for a thin, v-neck or round-neck jumper to wear under a jacket for the coming autumn and winter months, MJ Bale have some 85% wool, 15% cashmere jumpers in their sale section for $79 each, which sounds like a pretty damn good deal:

V-neck:
    http://www.mjbale.com/on-sale/tullamore-denim-v-neck
    http://www.mjbale.com/on-sale/tullamore-green-v-neck
    http://www.mjbale.com/on-sale/tullamore-grey-v-neck
    http://www.mjbale.com/on-sale/tullamore-navy-v-neck

Round-neck:
    http://www.mjbale.com/on-sale/willow-blue-round-neck
    http://www.mjbale.com/on-sale/willow-light-grey-round-neck

9. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Exactly. As soon as he lied under oath (or gave incorrect information under oath) he had to go. It was untenable for him to stay. If he had tried to ride the scandal out it just would have gotten worse for him. Having said all that, and as others have said here, the NSW Labor Party isn't any better, and even with today's events, with the majority the NSW Liberals currently enjoy in parliament, they'll still win the 2015 election, albeit most likely with a (slightly?) smaller margin.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  10. fxh

fxh Senior member

ernesto - i think you can download a psychedelic pillow on your NUC high definition TV or facebook thingo app. Hope that helps

11. The Ernesto

Your input, as ever, is noted.

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

Thanks for your encouraging response. I sometimes feel my emails and suggestions go unnoticed.
    I am available to come along to the next meeting and present.
    Looking forward to it.

1 person likes this.
  13. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Hope you didn't buy one yet. Note that they are cotton, too.

Add KNIT20 code for further 20% off - brings them to $63.

I haven't seen these in person - what are they like?

I've always avoided cotton sweaters in favour of wool.

With only 15% cashmere, that's essentially what it is.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

Sydney folk - recommendations for the best place (cafe, hotel reception, etc) in the CBD to meet a client at mid-morning?

I work in Melb, so have no idea where to meet someone in Sydney that isn't some shit cafe packed full of people.

Thanks in advance.

15. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Hilton Hotel lobby, near Town Hall.

16. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Broke my purchase drought today with a pair of black oxford medallion-cap-toe Carminas from Unipair. Couldn't resist the 30% off. Think of how much money I've saved by buying these!

Besides, I don't have any black lace-up cap-toes, which are supposed to be the most basic "staple" shoe in any gentleman's wardrobe.

1 person likes this.
  17. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

You want a good cafe that's empty mid-morning?

18. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

How many days did you go without food to afford these?

1 person likes this.
  19. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

Ha.

I couldn't give a shit about the coffee, just somewhere quiet and comfortable.

20. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

Been there a few times and it's always been packed with people?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.