• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Foxing in Menswear

Books (as well as mirrors and shirt collars and cuffs) also develop foxing - where the edges of the pages turn a bit yellowish-brown and the pages sometimes get little brownish spots on them.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Foxing in Menswear

"Foxed shirts (ie, those that have begun to look a little threadbare on the collars and cuffs) are probably the only ones you need to wear at the weekend. ...

... 4) Bin anything soiled or torn (apart from your foxed shirts)."

I was aware of the toffs' love of a frayed cuff or collar, but had no idea it had a name.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Interesting, given that, if I remember correctly, the Italian P.Johnson stuff by La Vera is at least two, or two-and-a-half times the price of the clothing made in the Netherlands, isn't it?

La Vera = Napoli line

There are 2-3 workshops they work with in Italy altogether for suits depending on finish etc

Plestor

Reaction score

What would it cost to switch to a saftey shave set up. Razor, brush, know which soap, bowl, stand, think I might get attachable mirror. As for blades not interestes in something as sharp as a katana.

Depends on the quality... A lot.

You can get away with <20-30$

However something like
$60+ $60 + $25x2 +$15 + $40 is more reasonable (prices out for each object). I tend to enjoy very aggressive setups so I'm possibly not the best person to ask for recommendations. Note that razor braded bowls and stands for thing other than your brush are aesthetics over function.

I've got a spare cheapie (that isn't too aggressive) if you just want to try.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
What would it cost to switch to a saftey shave set up. Razor, brush, know which soap, bowl, stand, think I might get attachable mirror. As for blades not interestes in something as sharp as a katana.

I'd highly reccommend one of the starter kits from MensBiz. One of these:
http://www.mensbiz.com.au/mens-biz-budget-wetshaving-kit.html http://www.mensbiz.com.au/mens-biz-deluxe-wetshaving-kit.html http://www.mensbiz.com.au/mens-biz-standard-wetshaving-kit.html

All great products, very good pricing and the world's fastest shipping (I ordered about 3pm one afternoon and it was at by house at 10am the next day from Melbourne to Sydney.

I'd say it's worth going for the pricier one with the silvertip brush. And it's very smart to start with the blade starter pack, as there are no universal blades that work for everyone.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you looked at the Kamakura's? Just got a nice mid spread light blue broadcloth from them which is great.

I can't do it anymore. I've lost so much money with online ordering. Only time it works is with one-sized items (eg bags, watches, ties).

This isn't to mention all the time you have to spend researching different brands/styles/fabrics to guesstimate whether something will fit.

If this fails ill just cross my fingers that MJ Bale do some decent shirts in the future, or beg my mum to go halves in a shirt from suit shop...

BaldwinP

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy CT again. their fused collars and cuffs have started to bubble after about 3 washes. the cotton wrinkles up very easily, and depending on which shirt you buy, the shirt is a bit transparent. yes, for the price its cheap but I'd rather pay a bit more for tm lewin. cotton is thicker, softer and had longer life.
Which type of CT shirt did you buy? I've bought a number of their shirts but only the "Sea Island" quality ones (at times when they've been on an actual good sale, and not just their regular "sale" prices) and they've served me very well through many more washes than that.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't do it anymore. I've lost so much money with online ordering. Only time it works is with one-sized items (eg bags, watches, ties).

This isn't to mention all the time you have to spend researching different brands/styles/fabrics to guesstimate whether something will fit.

If this fails ill just cross my fingers that MJ Bale do some decent shirts in the future, or beg my mum to go halves in a shirt from suit shop...

Oli, in my experience (learnt by making mistakes) - it is better to have 5 shirts that you are actually happy with than 15 you are never quite satisfied with. Therefore, it might be better to look into Suit Shop etc.

The other option could be places like Mr Porter or Far Fetch that do free worldwide returns. Mr Porter also offers good sizing info (though you might need to wait until a sale for pricing to be better) and other site are usual happy to answer questions. Or maybe bricks and mortar shops like Henry Bucks (esp. if on sale) or Herringbone (cannot remember if you tried them) are a better option.

Apart from very casual shirts, I get all my shirts from P Johnson now (though may visit the Ascot Chang Trunk Show out of interest). Although this is not the cheapest option I only buy a few each time, about once a year (and have now build an OK collection) and get shirts I am really happy with (instead of always wishing they were better). I am aware I am lucky to be able to do this, but I plan and prioritise my spending according (or at least try to).

CHECKstar

Reaction score

Apart from very casual shirts, I get all my shirts from P Johnson now (though may visit the Ascot Chang Trunk Show out of interest). Although this is not the cheapest option I only buy a few each time, about once a year (and have now build an OK collection) and get shirts I am really happy with (instead of always wishing they were better). I am aware I am lucky to be able to do this, but I plan and prioritise my spending according (or at least try to).

Another option would be to get a one off from PJ or Suit Shop, then use that as a measurement template for trying out some of the more affordable online MTM options out there.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oli, in my experience (learnt by making mistakes) - it is better to have 5 shirts that you are actually happy with than 15 you are never quite satisfied with. Therefore, it might be better to look into Suit Shop etc.

The other option could be places like Mr Porter or Far Fetch that do free worldwide returns. Mr Porter also offers good sizing info (though you might need to wait until a sale for pricing to be better) and other site are usual happy to answer questions. Or maybe bricks and mortar shops like Henry Bucks (esp. if on sale) or Herringbone (cannot remember if you tried them) are a better option.

That's the plan - i essentially want 6 work shirts and then 3-4 OCBDs for weekends.

It's just frustrating in that I have 3 MJ Bale shirts from last year I got at $50 a pop. Biggest regret is listening to my mother that I 'didn't need' 5 of the same shirts...

Another option would be to get a one off from PJ or Suit Shop, then use that as a measurement template for trying out some of the more affordable online MTM options out there.

Ordered a shirt from cottonwork in may and I'm yet to see it...

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ssshhh....Romp might be reading! Ha, no this could work too (if you trust yourself with the measurements and the company you sent it to to measure the same way). Other option is to send them the shirt to copy.

For me, I like being able to talk, feel and look through the options, and leave the measuring to someone more experience.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Biggest regret is listening to my mother that I 'didn't need' 5 of the same shirts...

Which is worse? #dressedbytheinternet or #dressedbyyourmother?

Have faith in yourself Oli!

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's the plan - i essentially want 6 work shirts and then 3-4 OCBDs for weekends.

It's just frustrating in that I have 3 MJ Bale shirts from last year I got at $50 a pop. Biggest regret is listening to my mother that I 'didn't need' 5 of the same shirts...

What's the excuse from cottonwork? I've never waited more than about 4 weeks.

I've actually found shirts to be fairly easy to order online, assuming measurements are posted. I've always just compared to well fitting shirts I already have. I've always found the Kamakura to be very consistent with the measurements posted online.

Superfudge

Reaction score

I remember Put This On had an article that was along the lines of "if you find something you like, buy 5". Sage advice, at least for staples. One can never have too many blue cotton shirsts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads