• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We are thinking of getting a piece of art for our anniversary present to ourselves (in keeping with paper for first wedding anniversary).

Not sure I will take suggestions on specific artworks here, though maybe if anyone has any galleries in Melbourne they might recommend...there seems to be some nice stuff at that big place on St Kilda Road at the moment...wonder how much one of those lily paintings would set me back..

Think you need to approach it from the perspective of how much you want to spend first up. Then look online at a site which would list independent galleries. Also are you after a print, lithograph, drawing photograph? Do you want something by a name or an up and coming artist?

I have a variety of works, prints, paintings lithographs photographs which I have picked up over the years, a few by names, but don't know any up and coming visual artists I would love more wall space to be honest.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my holiday boredom I've just watched all of ABC's 'The Liberals' series.

Some sartorial observations:
- Extremely traditional - Chelsea and bal' boots galore. The 3 piece is standard until the 80s.
- The sartorial decline starts in the 80s where you notice Howard wearing Anthony Squires. By the 90s Hewson's collar gap becomes a chasm, and multi coloured ties become mainstay.
- If you want an image of a well dressed Australian, its Malcolm Fraser. His sense of style was impeccable - even in the commentary he sported tweed.

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That rumour was doing the rounds, but I'd suggest their sub-par perfomance last night scotched that. If they'd rocked up and repeated the dose with no ill effects after Saturday, that might have raised more eyebrows.

Think you need to approach it from the perspective of how much you want to spend first up. Then look online at a site which would list independent galleries. Also are you after a print, lithograph, drawing photograph? Do you want something by a name or an up and coming artist?

I have a variety of works, prints, paintings lithographs photographs which I have picked up over the years, a few by names, but don't know any up and coming visual artists I would love more wall space to be honest.

Thanks for the feedback chaps. To be honest, this is much more my wife's area of expertise. This will be our first major purchase so think it would be good to look around a few galleries to get a feel for what we are specifically after. Which should be fun in itself.

Not too hung up about getting a name or "making an investment", just looking for something that speaks to us both, budget still to be determined.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback chaps. To be honest, this is much more my wife's area of expertise. This will be our first major purchase so think it would be good to look around a few galleries to get a feel for what we are specifically after. Which should be fun in itself.

Not too hung up about getting a name or "making an investment", just looking for something that speaks to us both, budget still to be determined.

Last work we bought was by Reg Mombassa but the wife and I want this by Ethan Russell

Definitely not a first anniversary gift.

Last edited:

Marbles

Reaction score
That rumour was doing the rounds, but I'd suggest their sub-par perfomance last night scotched that. If they'd rocked up and repeated the dose with no ill effects after Saturday, that might have raised more eyebrows.

The other rumour being that he rode well within himself in order to be able to point at that for proof he is clean. Either way, Sky have now ruined any interest in the tour 2 years running for me. I think calling them robotic is attributing far too much personality on the bike. It was so bad this year that I was actually supporting Bertie 'Spanish Rump' Contador.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my holiday boredom I've just watched all of ABC's 'The Liberals' series... If you want an image of a well dressed Australian, its Malcolm Fraser. His sense of style was impeccable...
...Yeah but those tweed jackets always looked a bit off on him without any trousers...

Stebbin

Reaction score
I was woken up at 7am this morning by the postie who delivered my RMW screw soled Macquaries in black calf from Nungar. Very nice boots which didn't even require any breaking in at work today and possibly the best leather soles I've worn. No slip at all! I reckon I should still get them topied tomorrow and have the cobbler add some metal heel plates.

Last edited:

The Upright Man

Reaction score
Once upon a time, I had a navy cotton suit made by Rene at DeeR Style. It was obviously intended as a casual piece and I chose to have it made with MoP buttons. The result was great, expect for the fact that the lapel roll was pressed and sewn in a way which made the top button almost face the jacket (rather than being flat on the front).

Although I loved the jacket, and the fit was spot-on, I voiced my concern with Rene who offered to remake the jacket. I was shocked by his generosity and humbly accepted his kind offer. Unfortunately, the jacket that came back was almost a full size too small (completely the fault of his supplier whom had changed their measurement codes unbeknownst to Rene). Hoping for a third time lucky scenario, Rene contacted his source for the navy cotton, re-took my measurements and went about ordering a third jacket. Overnight the 100ish meters of fabric that were in stock were bought before the order for my new jacket could be placed. As a final solution to this whole fiasco, Rene offered to have a full suit remade in a fabric of my choice (I kept the trousers as I wear them often but I obviously now didn't have the matching jacket). I sourced a length of H&S 'nevada' on ebay for $150 and Rene sent it off to be made. Here is the result:

Not only had Rene been extremely kind in offering to remake the initial jacket, he had gone above and beyond what any customer would expect of his tailor. The guy is an absolute champion and I highly suggest that anyone who is in Brisbane (or traveling interstate) and hasn't been to see him to pay him a visit. He's a very knowledgeable fellow, who doesn't push any ideas on you but gently guides you towards a suitable MTO option. When I first met him I was only just beginning to take an avid interest in clothes and he took his time to explain any questions I had. He has a great range of fabrics to choose from, as well as shoes (the tobacco suede shoes in the first pick were from DeeR also), ties and shirts.

Seriously, do yourself a favour and get to DeeR Style Brisbane!

http://deerstyle.tumblr.com/

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 19 and it's painful that all my male and sometimes female friends wear 'swag' caps.

iSurg

Reaction score
Looks good. Two navy suits in one go. The cotton still looks very wearable. Wear in good health!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads