• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
Thanks but since you said I was wrong I found Put This On did a paid review and it would seem the LM/MTO use cork albeit thinner layers.

http://putthison.com/post/27986276299/we-got-it-for-free-meermin-shoes-exaggerations

Are you suggesting I should have tree'd them as soon as I took them off and wet?
Actually, you are still mistaken.

If you read the page you link to it states "However, handwelting has the advantage of being able to directly attach the welt to the insole without the use of the canvas rib that’s necessary for Goodyear welting. This allows you to use thinner layers of cork..."

The key line being "this allows you to use thinner layers of cork", not that Meermin does use a layer of cork.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who all here owns Meermin shoes? And what have your experiences been like?
smile.gif
They fit pretty narrow; similar to Carmina. But their New Rey last is uber uber uber narrow apparently narrower than G&G TG73 and Carmina Simpson so watchout if your planning on New Rey.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
smile.gif
Shoes no issues, they seem ok and over time have developed a quality shine. However...... the laces they use are rubbish. Have sent for flat leather laces from The Knottery and they are much much better. Its often the little things. My next pair will however be Carminas.

CHECKstar

Reaction score

Who all here owns Meermin shoes? And what have your experiences been like? :)

Good value for the price – I’ve got a pair of their double monks. Quite stiff leather that took quite some time to break-in (that said I only wear them once a week at the most). The leather surface also doesn’t seem to be as smooth as my C&J or AS (not quite ‘spider cracks’, but you get the jist). The quality is not quite there, for example the finishing on close inspection can be sloppy. That said, great value for the price (mine cost me about $270 from memory), but I am probably unlikely to buy another pair, as I would rather spend the extra cash to get something just that bit ‘crisper’ (eg C&J or Carmina).

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
No, it corrects you regarding their use of cork.

In regards to why the shoes were so wet, I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to the quality of sole bends used by Meermin. I get the impression that their sole leather is very porous, which would explain the shoes getting so wet so quickly. Regardless, it's just a case of letting them airdry, they shouldn't suffer for a soak every now and again.

Romp, if you're wanting to help the soles resist water more, something like Obenhaufs (sp?) LP or Saphir Graisse applied every now and again should pack some more oils into the leather and increase their resistance to absorbing water.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

I've got one pair of Classic currently, and have handled a couple more from the same line.

The value from Meermin, imo, comes from being able to buy 3 or 4 pairs quickly for a reasonable price. If you're trickling a collection together or just wanting to try out some new makers, I'd look elsewhere. They seem to have either quality problems or huge time delays on most of their orders, except for the group MTO's people are running through the Meermin thread here.

I found their materials for the classic collection to hold up well in comparison to shoes around the same price range. If the lasts fit you well and you want several pairs, I'd probably take them over Loake or Barker, but for ~$100 more you can find single pairs of Carmina, so again, the advantage really only comes from volume.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This one's for George T --

I'm buying a Fox Umbrella, the Hellenic special -- "GA2 Malacca Automatic" (check their website, that's what it's called)..

Mate in all my years of being Greek I had never put the two together! Now if only Fox sold it in blue and white.

i have a denim question for you TBM. I purchased a pair of ACNEs yesterday because my APCs have just gotten a little too light in colour to wear on some occasions. Is it possible to get the APCs re-dyed? And would you recommend it?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Romp, if you're wanting to help the soles resist water more, something like Obenhaufs (sp?) LP or Saphir Graisse applied every now and again should pack some more oils into the leather and increase their resistance to absorbing water.

Cheap Dubbin and hairdryer on soles works well.
or

Topy

Last edited:

g-banger

Reaction score

I've got one pair of Classic currently, and have handled a couple more from the same line.

The value from Meermin, imo, comes from being able to buy 3 or 4 pairs quickly for a reasonable price. If you're trickling a collection together or just wanting to try out some new makers, I'd look elsewhere. They seem to have either quality problems or huge time delays on most of their orders, except for the group MTO's people are running through the Meermin thread here. 

I found their materials for the classic collection to hold up well in comparison to shoes around the same price range. If the lasts fit you well and you want several pairs, I'd probably take them over Loake or Barker, but for ~$100 more you can find single pairs of Carmina, so again, the advantage really only comes from volume.

I've got a pair of dark brown tassle loafers on order, i could easily pay an extra 30 dollars and grab some of herring shoes (loakes) but from all the reviews and QA issues im still keen to give them a try. who knows, if it works out even maybe a pair of MTO shoes end of the year

btw black knit ties are so versatile wearing with blue shirt today, but not as good as a pink shirt :)

btw 2.0 - TBM that HC tie looks bloody awesome

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ a soft pink shirt with a black knit tie is ******* sexy, man.

Also, I think you did the right thing by not getting Loake tassel loafers. I think they look a bit ... ugly. Hope the Meermin tassel loafers fit you well!!

One other thing, fxh, won't Topy ruin the ability of the leather soles to breathe? It's like covering fish gills. You cruel bastard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics