1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I have the Herring Readings(well selling). The brown suede. I think they're amazing for the money, an absolutely fantastic shoe. I was under the impression they were made in India though.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

I think it depends upon the model. I just had another look and, for example, the Herring Lucca are made in Italy. I read somewhere else another model was made in Portugal.

To be honest it doesn't bother me, I don't know enough about shoes to know the important of country of origin etc., just looking for a decent shoes, inexpensive, and need it relatively fast.

Thanks for the input Foxhound.

3. lukejackson

Ah yes, it has an origin: ___ on the information bar. Seems they are a mix e.g. "EU Community" (i'm guessing Eastern Europe), Portugal and "Imported" which says usually India.

4. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

What's the event? if its black tie just run some black cap oxfords.

5. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

No stress. What's the event?

6. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

They are a replication of shoes that Churches made in the days of yore.I like the fact that these styles that are slightly jarring to us are still around to look at.

7. lukejackson

Nothing that important, just semi work (or potential work) related social night. To be honest, my current shoes will do it I guess. Just worrying too much. No point rushing a purchase.

On another note picked up Henry carter tie from the post office. Ordered on Wednesday night and got it on Friday. Tie is great, service too! Thanks mate, will be back!

2 people like this.
  8. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Fair enough then. This is where I hope Target Australia bring in those captoes from the US. They would be perfect at $30 for your situation.

I will be checking out Henry Carter at some stage, I would like to grab that Macclesfield #17.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

They look like a pair of badly worn golf shoes to me.

I appreciate the fact that they might be bringing back some of their older styles (although I do wonder how popular they were back in the day, so to speak), but the style doesn't do it for me and the soles are absolutely hideous.

10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

You should at least have two shoes in your wardrobe:
    - a black cap oxford
    - a brown brogue

Those shoes can take you from black tie to a lunch date. If you're lacking either of those that would be the first place I'd put my money. With Herring's discounts and our steady dollar they're not that outrageous.

1 person likes this.
  11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Fair enough. I'm not suggesting they should be part of anyone's rotation. They disappeared off the scene a long time ago and probably for a good reason!

I had some pics of the original articles which I will try and dig out.

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Great choice! Just be aware that the Macclesfield ties are in limited quantities so once they're gone, they're gone.

13. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Must....not...touch...savings.

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I think this is a sensible suggestion - that pretty much covers you off for work and more formal occasions.

15. Romp

Romp Senior member

Gerry, don't know about you but I think ive just exceeded the size of my wife's shoe collection haha

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

But... but... but.. what about a pair of RM William's boots?!?!? :tounge:

17. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

Not many wiwt posts lately so thought I'd post one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jacket- Uniqlo
    Shirt- MJ Bale
    Tie- The Knotrery
    Ps- Kent Wang
    Trousers- PRL
    Shoes- meermin

4 people like this.
  18. lukejackson

I know you guys are obviously right re shoes. At the moment I have one pair tan derbies, one pair black and lots of loafers (plus trainers, drivers etc). I just love loafers and can't bring myself to spend cash on more sensible shoes. Having said that I'd like a pair of decent dark brown/chocolate semi brogues.

I'm a student and my job doesn't require overly formal clothing, neither will my future career for at least a few years. I'll hold out for a while (or as long as I can) on the black captoe.

19. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I order for Gerry to have a wife with a larger collection he would need to marry Imelda Marcos (though he would take better care of them) - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ection-destroyed-termites-floods-neglect.html

Only joking Gerry, like me and Romp and others here, you only have the shoes you 'need'.

Oh yes and my shoe collection is definitely larger (and a lot more expensive) than my wife's....

20. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Those are some good looking lapels. What suit/tie/shoes though, details? I know pictures speak a 1000 words but... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.