• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

boff

Reaction score

Not always. Reno'Mat is fine for some shoes, not good for others - it depends on the method used to dye the leather.

As an example, I believe that C&J does not recommend the use of Reno'Mat for its shoes, as it could strip off the finish and change the colour.

I stand corrected, thank you. I've only ever used it on Barkers, Loakes and AE's.

aussiejake

Reaction score
Here's everything I reckon you need:
Incredibly helpful post, thank you. I'll start building up in these products/items mentioned. I'm guessing 'appropriate brown" wax and cream polish relates to a colour similar to the shoe being worked on?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just ordered some 3sixteen SL-100x from Blue Owl - service has been great. Free chainstitching and free delivery - so ive gone with 32w and shortened to 35length as I like to roll :)

Lets hope I can button these up!

If they work out I might get some in shadow too

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Button stance is about 1.5-2" above my real natural waistline (aka belly button). Pants are sitting .5cm below belly button. However they were made too short and the hems have been let down as much as possible, so I have to wear them a little lower than usual. Not a big fan of the flood pant look. Still, not bad for a $279 suit.
HoL is more truth than I care to admit lol.

I stand corrected.

You are a very tall man, sir. With a very long torso. Might be worth thinking about a 3-roll-2.

(But great value for the suit! And the tie is very very nice.)

Manuhiri

Reaction score
Incredibly helpful post, thank you. I'll start building up in these products/items mentioned. I'm guessing 'appropriate brown" wax and cream polish relates to a colour similar to the shoe being worked on?
Yep. You can go darker but I try to match as closely as possible. I find the best place to order is from A Fine Pair of Shoes. I received a shipment last week.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not always. Reno'Mat is fine for some shoes, not good for others - it depends on the method used to dye the leather.

As an example, I believe that C&J does not recommend the use of Reno'Mat for its shoes, as it could strip off the finish and change the colour.

Yes I believe aniline dyed leathers are susceptible to being stripped if you use leather renovator, though any experts out there might have more specific details about why this happens. Always test in an inconspicuous spot first, and see if any dye comes out on your cloth as you apply. If symptoms persist, see a cobbler.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone buys Samuari, Sugarcane, Flathead or Buzz and knows their size etc please consider these guys in SA - www.righthanddistribution.com

A tad more pricey than some online places, but still pretty competitive. Andy also has a chain stitch machine down there.

I'll be sending down my Stevenson Overall Cos after I soak them

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If anyone buys Samuari, Sugarcane, Flathead or Buzz and knows their size etc please consider these guys in SA - www.righthanddistribution.com

A tad more pricey than some online places, but still pretty competitive. Andy also has a chain stitch machine down there.

saw these guys on GW's blog - pretty nice find

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lolwut?

I do 60 minute cardio (walking, not running, I'm a man, not a machine). Most days (some more some less).

Avoid refined carbs (since carbs can't be withheld completely) - such as flours, rice, pasta, risotto, etc. Once a week go mental, the rest of the time stop it.

I find even with some refined sugar each day I can consistently lose weight by avoiding the carbs.

Don't skimp on the animal fats (but avoid processed plant fats such as canola and peanut oil). Cheese is great!

Just some advice I've received that works well for me.

Currently eating Oreos and drinking full cream milk. Will probably lose weight this week.

This is pretty good dietary advice - close to what my dietitian recommended when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I lost 25kg in 10 months following a similar regime, with no need for gym work or really feeling like I was depriving myself much at all. Exercise consisted of following the 10,000 steps program, plus bike riding twice a week.

The other thing I was told (in my case to manage glucose spikes) is to spread eating through the day. I eat at 6:30, 10, 12, 4, 7 and 10pm. 10, 4 and 10 are for snacky things like fruit, trail mix and/or cheese ,and the 3 meals are medium serves - you don't feel like eating more than that.

You can substitute some things in your favourite foods to make a low GI diet - for example, you can always make risotto with barley instead of rice or roast sweet potatoes instead of spuds. I even found that trashing my diet once a week did no real harm. 80% compliance is good enough. Apart from the weight loss, I brought my blood sugar levels down from 11.5 to 4.8, so this really works.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those talking about dieting - GI doesn't matter so much as it is recorded measurements of single foods consumed in a fasted state which doesn't really reflect real life measurements.

So long as there is a calorie deficit and macros are roughly in check you will lose weight.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dropped into their shop when I was in Adelaide. They didn't have any jeans in my size sadly, and I found the shorts I bought pretty expensive when I price-compared later.

They are just off Rundle St, and there is an excellent cafe right nearby, as well as a bike shop and vintage wear that are both worth a look.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered some 3sixteen SL-100x from Blue Owl - service has been great. Free chainstitching and free delivery - so ive gone with 32w and shortened to 35length as I like to roll :)

Lets hope I can button these up!

If they work out I might get some in shadow too
Please tell us how it went. I have been eyeing off the black ones for donkey years, but I cannot justify another pair of jeans.

As for Japanese selvage, I repeat my plug for Corlection on Pitt Street. Their prices are only a tad higher than the best deals you can find on Rakuten or even in Japan itself. Stocks Momotaros, Strike Gold, Pure Blue Japan, Tenryo, Japan Blue.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Petepan we stayed just around the corner from Sorbonne... Will have too jump across the bank next time for accom, where the shoes are. Did you have a peep at Gerard Sene?

Mmmm wives, always suspicious. Mine kept wondering why l went for these long walks at night chatting to hemingway and zelda.
Pardon my ignorance, I have not heard of Gerard Sene until now. I did pop into the following:

Septieme Larguer- selection of colors and last shapes were underwhelming, and I was not willing to do a custom patine job.
JM Weston- only one last fits me, but they want over Euro 600 for calf. For that, I can get shell in Carmina with change.
John Lobb- aside from the JL PS collab, none of the last fits me. Savings for me.
Galeries Lafayette Homme- some nice Santonis there, no more sizes for me.

I did not have time for Aubercy, Corthay and Berluti. Tried Berluti in HK, none of the lasts fits me. More savings.

My next major project is to get a black captoe oxford that will last me forever. Currently, a Meermin is doing that duty, but the shoddy finishing is not in keeping with the spirit an exemplary formal shoe. I am leaning towards Vass (do not know sizing) or fallback onto Carmina black shell on Rain last. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads