• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unrelated to menswear - How many of you are proponents of Dollar Cost Averaging investing?
Hmmm, difficult question to answer. Specifically for share purchase, it depends on the rationale for purchase, as briefly alluded to by Romp. I do stuff the old school way, so this concept has never been a significant factor other than for a quick calculation of cost base. If something is cheap at $1, it is even cheaper at $0.50 cents, assuming no factors have affected valuation in the interim.

Happy to talk further by PM.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK i know ive asked this before but I was going to buy the tanner goods "standard" belt in saddle tan and copper buckle from their site but they want another $65 for shipping. Do you guys know of somewhere else I can cop this belt without sending it first class around the world?

You could try shipito or hopshopgo.

Or just their stockists page http://www.tannergoods.com/pages/stockists#. Or email them and ask which of their stockists they've sent this belt to. They should have records of that sort of thing.

Also, a lot of different retailers make belts in that sort of colour/buckle combination. You could also try one of the custom retailers like Equus or Narasanget.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, a lot of different retailers make belts in that sort of colour/buckle combination. You could also try one of the custom retailers like Equus or Narasanget.

Local SF member "Naka" has an MTO belt from Equus Leather (or somewhere very similar) and he seems very happy with it. It looks very nice.

Naka

Reaction score
I have three belts from Equus, fantastic leather and a decent price. Royal Mail is super fast too, which is an added bonus. I've been meaning to order another one. They have an SF discount code too.
Don't know how to feel about JM checking out my belt unbeknownst to me :p

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just re hats.

I have worn straw hats since the early 80s when I was in the airlines and found walking around Singapore or hot climes led to heatstroke and sunburn.

The result is that I am still free of any melanomas etc and I have lived my life near the beach, on my uncle's farm at Wagga on holidays and generally in the sun.

Anyone that is fairskinned (and/or tonsorially challenged) definitely needs to wear a hat in summer and probably 9 months of the year in places like Sydney IMO.

After turning 55 I found I also became sun intolerant to the point I have to use sun cream nearly every day.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ambergris find...

A man walking his dog has discovered a ‘horrible smelling’ lump of sperm whale vomit thought to be worth around £100,000.

Ken Willman originally paid little attention to the dirty yellow rock his dog Madge dug up as the pair walked along Morecombe’s beach.

However, upon arriving home he says something “triggered my mind” and he looked the substance up on the internet.

On doing so, unemployed Mr Willman discovered the substance is likely to be ambergris - a lump of sperm whale vomit – which is used in perfumes such as Chanel No.5 to amplify the scent.

The lump of vomit is often called ‘floating gold’ and is said to smell like old wood or fungus. It acts as a scent stabiliser when combined with other ingredients, however.

zachary12

Reaction score

OK i know ive asked this before but I was going to buy the tanner goods "standard" belt in saddle tan and copper buckle from their site but they want another $65 for shipping. Do you guys know of somewhere else I can cop this belt without sending it first class around the world?

Capsule store in Syd stocks Tanner IIRC. Not sure if it's any cheaper.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Capsule store in Syd stocks Tanner IIRC. Not sure if it's any cheaper.
Holy crap. Where have you been all my life. None of us knew this. Goddamit I spent ages looking for an alternative to Tanner because of shipping.

But thanks.

fox81

Reaction score

Saw this on the side of SF... anyone going to go?

What does GY charge for a basic suit?
http://www.gordonyao.com/en_itinerary_details.asp?id=7

i went last year and ordered some shirts. he had a deal going on thomas mason stuff.
the suit prices were pretty similar to chan, but chan has increased a bit of late so im not sure if yao has done the same.
$1200 and up. expect $1500 for something half decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads