• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHECKstar

Reaction score

LOL - yeah, if only.

Ennb, head along to MJ Bale on George Parade in the city (behind the Grand Hyatt). They have a 2 for $1000 suiting offer. Tom or Paolo will be able to help guide you :)

That’s the trademark TBM patience that we all know and love!

aussiejake

Reaction score
Any one with Loake 1880 Aldwych's able to guide me on how they sized compared to other shoes?

Yes that's assuming we get that many orders for the shoe trees. The price will come down the more that is ordered
smile.gif
I'm not looking at making a profit from this.
Well how much interest have you received so far? I might be in for ~3 pairs. Sizing is just a bit of an issue, not sure how to go.

Manuhiri

Reaction score
Any one with Loake 1880 Aldwych's able to guide me on how they sized compared to other shoes?
I have two pairs of Aldwych's. Fit seems to be fairly standard to me. Mine are a half size bigger than my Church's (Last 73 which runs large) and C and Js. But given this morning's development I'd probably go for the same size in C and J now.

burnso

Reaction score
Master Cobbler on Collins St near the Spencer St end.
Thank you, Ill try a pair out on them I think ;)

Well how much interest have you received so far? I might be in for ~3 pairs. Sizing is just a bit of an issue, not sure how to go.

I have the Aldwych's. They are the first pair I ordered online so they are actually a half size 'too small' (9.5). Every other shoe I have ordered is a 10, and that's what Id now get in the 1880's, so basically they are true to size IMO (compared to: Cheaney, Design Loake, Herring, Loake 026 last)

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That’s the trademark TBM patience that we all know and love!

Haha, don't know about that. You're the first one to call me patient.

I'm heading in to MJ Bale today to get a 50% linen, 50% merino navy herringbone suit.

aussiejake

Reaction score
I have the Aldwych's. They are the first pair I ordered online so they are actually a half size 'too small' (9.5). Every other shoe I have ordered is a 10, and that's what Id now get in the 1880's, so basically they are true to size IMO (compared to: Cheaney, Design Loake, Herring, Loake 026 last)
So if I go into David Jones, try on the regular Loake line and get my size, the Aldwych's should fit quite similar?

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a wedding reception at Carousel in Albert Park on Sunday. This is me in the 'burbs of Melbourne in MJ Bale after I'd scoffed my face full of food

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So if I go into David Jones, try on the regular Loake line and get my size, the Aldwych's should fit quite similar?

The Aldwych are on the "Capital" last. If you try a calf shoe on in the Capital last in the right size (length and width), then you'll know your size for sure. David Jones' Loake offering is mediocre IMO, so they may not have a point of direct comparison for you.

CHECKstar

Reaction score

Had a wedding reception at Carousel in Albert Park on Sunday. This is me in the 'burbs of Melbourne in MJ Bale after I'd scoffed my face full of food

Wow, it looks like you have shrunk significantly since your days at Herringbone; great work! Out of interest, how many sizes are you down by?

Nicholas D C

Reaction score
Sorry to jump in, been reading on here a bit. Went looking for suits today in Melbourne, not with massive success. Am starting graduate job soon so don't have bundles of cash.

Recommended here was Azzaro in south Melbourne, I went to see if I could pick up a Cantarelli but they could do them for around 900 which is out of budget, I'm looking for two suits for around 1000. The in house brand 'Azzaro' seemed nice, does anyone have experience with these price was 500?

Looked around in other shops but Myers and David jones didn't have anything worth buying at that price. Either I'm going to go for the azzaro or get a couple of Charles Tyrwhitt suits shipped from the UK for probably around $700 or so total.

Also for those interested, as said a few pages back, American Tailors had a small selection of C&J for 395, which were very nice but out of my price. Other than these all shoes I saw were poor, or very expensive. Dropped in to beggar man thief and they had a small section of loakes not 1818 model for quite a lot around 300 I think.

Lastly navy suits and brown shoes in Australia, or stick with black?

Thanks

You can get Loake/Herring/etc shoes shipped to Australia for a lot cheaper than retail prices from various companies. Best I've dealt with is herringshoes.co.uk and Pediwear. Herring has best shipping prices and timings - and absolutely awesome customer service. You can get Loake Classics for about 160 dollars shipped.

I wear brown shoes with my navy suits - here people are super-laidback about suiting up in any case, you can get away with quite a bit (not that dark brown and navy is particularly informal really). I'm starting a grad job in consulting, and I will be wearing most mid-grey/brown, navy/dark brown, and charcoal grey/black combinations if that's reassuring at all.

For suits, have you checked out MJ Bale? SuitSupply is another option (their suits start at 469 USD). For shirts, check out Luxire or Cottonwork for decently priced, good quality stuff - although Charles Tyrwhitt is fine for reasonable starting-out shirts, and excellently priced.

Last edited:

burnso

Reaction score
IMO yes. I am the same size for Loake capital/ design/ and 026, and generally would order any Loake the same size without much worry.

I did however do the exact thing that you are suggesting, and arrived at a half size too small, but I put that down to inexperience at the time of fitting myself in leather shoes.
(also they are very nice at a half size too small, just not ideal and no wiggle room)

aussiejake

Reaction score
IMO yes. I am the same size for Loake capital/ design/ and 026, and generally would order any Loake the same size without much worry.

I did however do the exact thing that you are suggesting, and arrived at a half size too small, but I put that down to inexperience at the time of fitting myself in leather shoes.
(also they are very nice at a half size too small, just not ideal and no wiggle room)

Okay thank you for that advice. I believe I'll be a size 8 anyway, from what I've read up on, but I'll double check with the DJ's line of Loakes.

iSurg

Reaction score
TBM: good clean look. MJ Bale fits you well. Kudos. Shoulders look great.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

suit fits fairly well! all that weight-loss!

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks CHECK. Not sure how much weight I've lost. It's probably the suit and the angle of the photo that gives that impression. I've still got a gut :D

This suit is a 40R, and I used to wear a 42R before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads