• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Land's End have quite a few choices but, as it is the northern winter at present, some choices are limited and they seem to have sold out of the "tailored" option in quite a few colours/styles.
Still, could be worth having a look as their prices are very reasonable - there are a couple of nice styles here and here.

Journeyman

Thanks flat front not my cup of tea but found these http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-pleat-front-traditional-fit-linen-cotton-trousers~236040_-1.html

which is more my style and do LE fit true to size?

lachyzee

do you know the discount code? if not I may as well go into a store in Sydney and get over the counter?

And on cartridge shaving my first razor was Gilet saftery razor with obligatory septic pencil, used that with a variety of blades til I was 21 then switched to G2. Always a brush and soap man till moved to a creme shave in 83 but now use a G3 disposable but find they work better with a creme rather than a lather.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:foo:

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with a DE Razor set up for 2 years and recently went back to Gillette Mach 3s. Tried a million things with the DE Razor set up but it just didn't work for me. I have thick wiry stubble that grows every which way. As long as their sharp, for me the cartridges provide a shave that's much quicker, and just as good if not better.

For anyone who uses cartridge razors, this thing works a treat and will save you a bunch of money http://www.razorpit.com/

It's still not DE cheap, but brings it a bit closer.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was some talk before about Drakes ties - here are a couple of mine. I don't find them to be too narrow, though Al Grasby might disagree.

I've found them to wear well, and the knit tie hasn't shown any signs of fraying etc.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Does anyone here play club cricket?
smile.gif
thought this said pub cricket .. lol

^^ I think ties, like everything else, should be somewhat proportional to your body shape. A 7cm tie might work well on a skinny guy, but look silly on a heavier set man.
ties generally work best in proportion your your lapels/pockets. So big lapel is balance with fatter tie etc. If you notice the drakes/armoury guys always wear the skinny end on the side of the tie which actually conceals the width

Selvaggio

Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ties generally work best in proportion your your lapels/pockets. So big lapel is balance with fatter tie etc. If you notice the drakes/armoury guys always wear the skinny end on the side of the tie which actually conceals the width

Maybe I'm just a fuddy-duddy, but it seems more sensible to me to just wear a wider tie and tie a normal knot, instead of wearing a skinnier tie and tying a funny knot.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i saw this on Tumblr today.. only for the brave or yakuza

kamisori . “japanese straight razors” .
wrought iron & aogami super steel .
190 euros

Sigh, one day I'll be able to. First I have to convince myself to move on to safety razors (currently just use an electric razor to take stubble down to nearly-stubble)

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a HC brown pin dot? I'll trade it for a navy.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just a fuddy-duddy, but it seems more sensible to me to just wear a wider tie and tie a normal knot, instead of wearing a skinnier tie and tying a funny knot.
yeah - im not promoting it - just an observation that even the maker's/owner's need to "compensate" somewhat

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have a HC brown pin dot? I'll trade it for a navy. 

There both my ties so I'm biased either way, but I reckon the navy is a lot more versatile than the brown, because it can be worn with black shoes. The brown could too I guess but I wouldn't personally. I think I remember you saying you are a lawyer or becoming one so i'll assume black shoes will be a decent part of your shoe wardrobe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads