• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great combination, Jas! I'm looking forward to wearing a HC shirt together with a HC tie soon :)

Jason

Sort this man (Gerry) out with a sponsorship deal.

In terms of cashmere ties something like these are what I would love. I imagine you are doing something similar to the first one, the second I imagine is a bit too unusual (but could maybe be a special order?).

Source: http://lnsee.tumblr.com/post/34819677456/double-breasted-by-ww-chan-liverano-liverano#notes

Source: http://abitofcolor.tumblr.com/post/35643544641/e-marinella-flecks-of-autumnal-colors-enhance

And what about something like this for the next Australian Members tie?

Understand that these are complete my own personal taste but just putting it out there. I wonder what others think (I know Gerry is keen on the purple tie too).

When are you expecting the cashmere ties? No rush, just be nice to know...

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Jason
Sort this man out with a sponsorship deal.
In terms of cashmere ties something like these are what I would love. I imagine you are doing something similar to the first one, the second I imagine is a bit too unusual (but could maybe be a special order?).

Source: http://lnsee.tumblr.com/post/34819677456/double-breasted-by-ww-chan-liverano-liverano#notes

Source: http://abitofcolor.tumblr.com/post/35643544641/e-marinella-flecks-of-autumnal-colors-enhance

Understand that these are complete my own personal taste but just putting it out there. I wonder what others think (I know Gerry is keen on the purple tie too).
love the spotted tie

I dont think Alan would be up for a tie sponsorship since the armoury owns drakes:)

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

love the spotted tie

I dont think Alan would be up for a tie sponsorship since the armoury owns drakes:)

Rob

I meant Jason/Henry Carter should sponsor Nice guy Mr Nelson.

I am sure The Armoury will be putting in a bid for a share in Henry Carter Neckwear soon enough anyway....hahaha

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jason
Sort this man (Gerry) out with a sponsorship deal.

The marinella's beautiful!
Ernesto- Will maybe do a review of the Bedale and the Luxire shirts for fun when they get here :)

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
The real question is, how much is it worth to you? If you'd actually pay $128 for a wallet like this then suck it up and buy it. If not, forget it. Forget about the shipping cost in relation to the wallet, etc.

What would you get for $128 elsewhere?

+1.
When shopping overseas, it really only makes sense to look at the total price, not the nett price of the goods plus shipping. Then, the questions becomes, can I get a similar wallet here in Oz and, if so, how much will it cost?
If, for example, such a wallet would cost you $200, and the overseas wallet costs $128, then clearly the overseas wallet is a better deal, regardless of the shipping costs.
It's also worth noting that postage costs have risen markedly over the past few years and that it's not particularly reasonable to expect small businesses, like the above wallet-maker, to swallow shipping costs just because you only want to pay $20 instead of $28 in shipping.

Here is a simple question, why should I pay $38 to ship something that weighs 500g from U.S.A to Melbourne?

If the wallet did cost $120 and shipping was $10 that would be differnet, becasue I wouldn;t pay $120 for that wallet, or any wallet.

Your argument is flawed in that you ARE looking at the total price.
I am looking at what is a reasonable price to charge for shipping an item, any item, from one country to another.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Whilst I was reading up on eBay the other day, I came across a study which compared how people split the cost of an item and shipping in their purchasing decision.

It seemed to suggest that if there were two auctions with the same total price, but one had most of the price in the item and a small shipping cost and the other had a cheaper item cost and a more expensive shipping cost, then the latter auction type would consistently perform better.

The study explained that many consumers prefer to do what Unnamed Player is doing (nothing wrong with this necessarily), and split their decision into one about the item and one about the shipping.

But, this seems to be the opposite of ASOS's wildy successful "free shipping" model, which just absorbs the shipping cost into the total price. Interesting.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is a simple question, why should I pay $38 to ship something that weighs 500g from U.S.A to Melbourne?

If the wallet did cost $120 and shipping was $10 that would be differnet, becasue I wouldn;t pay $120 for that wallet, or any wallet.

Your argument is flawed in that you ARE looking at the total price.
I am looking at what is a reasonable price to charge for shipping an item, any item, from one country to another.

And how are we supposed to help you? Maybe we could pass the hat around and see if we can raise the shipping cost for you?

Pay it or don't mate, we really don't give a ****.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on people, grow up (all sides of the argument).

People gripe about shipping on here all the timem\ including some of the posters who have had a go at that other guy for doing it.

$38 for a wallet is manifestly excessive compared to what you usually pay for small items postage, no doubt. Yes, if you can't get the wallet anywhere else, then maybe you have to wear it. Yes, it's probably still a better deal than anything you can get in Aus. Who cares, it's still a lot of money for a small item. But maybe, just maybe, the extra $38 put it over the OPs wallet budget.

No point getting on each other for minor things, it should be beneath the stylish gentleman. :satisfied:

Last edited:

Manuhiri

Reaction score
Personally I think a wallet is something that it is worth spending a bit on. It's something that you will have for years and you'll use it all the time in contrast to an expensive pair of shoes or an item of clothing. Having said that though, I'm running a two wallet cutter at the moment. For coat days I have a reindeer leather job from the great english outdoors company. I love the story behind the leather more than anything.

7507_09F_02102008201214.jpg

And for casual days I have a leather card holder from chester mox.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally I think a wallet is something that it is worth spending a bit on. It's something that you will have for years and you'll use it all the time in contrast to an expensive pair of shoes or an item of clothing. Having said that though, I'm running a two wallet cutter at the moment. For coat days I have a reindeer leather job from the great english outdoors company. I love the story behind the leather more than anything.

7507_09F_02102008201214.jpg

That thing is a beast.

Don't you find it annoying to change things between the two (I imagine you must have a lot of stuff if you are carrying such a large one around)? I know I would, and be very pissed when something I needed wasn't in my wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads