• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I haven't been able to find an answer elsewhere, so am asking here. Does anyone have experience with Loake's 'loafer last'?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys - I haven't been able to find an answer elsewhere, so am asking here. Does anyone have experience with Loake's 'loafer last'?

I think that my blue, suede tassel loafers are on the "loafer" last, so I might be able to help.

I usually take a UK9 but, when buying loafers, I usually go down half-a-size. I did so in this case, too, and got a pair in a UK8.5.

They fit really well - fairly snug but not tight. There is a tiny bit of heel slippage, but not enough to give me blisters, and they are snug over my high instep, but are comfortable without any pain.

For comparison, I take a UK9 in the C&J 337 last and in Loake 1880 lasts such as the Capital and 026 lasts. I have quite a high instep, and my forefoot is fairly wide, but not so wide that I have to get wider-fitting shoes.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mmmmm. Might need to slightly reduce the circle of people you consult on such things.
LOL, I spent around $350 on clothing in about 3-4 days T_T
P.S.
I plan on holding out on shoes and save up for one of these beauties BLACK OR BROWN. But wallet is still in the works :)

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that my blue, suede tassel loafers are on the "loafer" last, so I might be able to help.
I usually take a UK9 but, when buying loafers, I usually go down half-a-size. I did so in this case, too, and got a pair in a UK8.5.
They fit really well - fairly snug but not tight. There is a tiny bit of heel slippage, but not enough to give me blisters, and they are snug over my high instep, but are comfortable without any pain.
For comparison, I take a UK9 in the C&J 337 last and in Loake 1880 lasts such as the Capital and 026 lasts. I have quite a high instep, and my forefoot is fairly wide, but not so wide that I have to get wider-fitting shoes.

Awesome, thanks JM. I'm also a UK 9 but am unsure whether to buy 9 or 8.5 in the loafer last.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful shoes, TB, you'll enjoy either one of them.
Wow what the fuk
ffffuuuu.gif
....just realised my name was 'Teh Bunny,' I though it was 'Teh Funny Bunny'!!!

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome, thanks JM. I'm also a UK 9 but am unsure whether to buy 9 or 8.5 in the loafer last.

Did you ever get a chance to wear any of the "Cheaney for Herringbone" loafers that they used to stock a few years back?

I don't know if the comparison is of any help, but I've got a pair of Cheaney for Herringbone loafers in a chocolate brown calf, with reasonably chiselled toe, an apron and a penny strap. I got them in a UK8.5 and they're tighter than the Loake loafers (particularly around the toe, but I suppose that's to be expected given the chiselled toe of the Cheaneys and the rounder toe of the Loakes).

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you ever get a chance to wear any of the "Cheaney for Herringbone" loafers that they used to stock a few years back?
I don't know if the comparison is of any help, but I've got a pair of Cheaney for Herringbone loafers in a chocolate brown calf, with reasonably chiselled toe, an apron and a penny strap. I got them in a UK8.5 and they're tighter than the Loake loafers (particularly around the toe, but I suppose that's to be expected given the chiselled toe of the Cheaneys and the rounder toe of the Loakes).

JM, I did. I wore an 8.5 in those and found the chiselled toe to cramp my toes, so I think an 8.5 in the loafer may be the way to go.

It's a shame return shipping is so expensive, otherwise I'd order both.

As an aside, RL has 50% off. There's a Purple Label jacket I've had my eye on for some time, though the sleeves are too long for my liking and so even at half price, it's too much for me to spend on a casual jacket.

Selvaggio

Reaction score

I do the same. I have had a coin pouch since I was 12. I cop **** for this. I couldn't care less.

You want I should sort it for you?
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL - no it's ok. But thank you.

And Teh Funny Bunny, don't worry if it only says Teh Bunny. We always knew you were funny ;)

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shog[1].gif
^
Day off today (U jelly?) and been surfing the SWD threads and always hear the word 'grail' (holygrail purchase) so I am wondering what your grail purchases would be #AUSSFCOMMUNITY
EDIT: Woops forgot to write mine; a bespoke pair of John Lobb from St James store and fittings done at the brick and mortar store :)
P.S.
I've been using my wife's coin purse as a wallet these past few months; no need to be embarassed TBM
fistbump.gif

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pics would be good, although after seeing the ridiculous shipping cost of $38 I might have to let the wallet go for now.

I just received (yet another) vintage brown window pane checked IVY tweed sport coat from USA. Postage =$18 USA.

Having shipped stuff back and forward to USA since the old days of exchanging bootleg music tapes I can say the USA postal "system" is weird and inefficient. I used to have stuff get to LA from here quicker than it would ship from LA to say Colorado.

For some reason USA post offices are hard to access, they aren't in all suburbs, and involve long times in queues and crazy paper work. Therefore many USA people prefer to ship using Fedex, DHL etc and this involves extra fees. In addition many prefer to ship with a higher insured service with tracking. (I'm not clear what real, as opposed to imagined, benefit tracking offers.) But thats the preference. Sometimes with individuals asking them to ship plain old UPS without insurance etc is the way to go.

* I think one reason / difference is that for ordinary letters etc the USA postie will also pick up mail to send from your home letter box - that s what those funny little flag arms on USA home letter boxes are for - too signal to postie to pickup mail. So a parcel post involves a lot more work than posting a "normal" letter. I think this is still the case but may have changed.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My foot is a bit like this and 9FUK plus I have an orthotic. I think I'm finding a 8.5G gives adequate length plus a bit more volume around the instep and in some lasts a bit more width on the sole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads