• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nice outfit, journeyman. particularly the tie and shoes.

as an aside, the dimple in my ties generally end up like this (on thinner ties). what's the best way to correct it to the centre?

Thanks for the nice words.

I actually prefer an asymmetric dimple, so I'm not at all concerned by it being off centre. I suppose that just pressing your finger into the knot and pulling the blade of the tie a bit as you tie the knot could help to centre the dimple more.

I think that I read a post on StyleForum a couple of years back about a device that was designed to help you get a nice dimple in your tie but that seems to be taking things a bit too far...

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's recommended from endless as far as shoe tree's are concerned?

http://www.endless.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ywords=shoe tree&isFirstTimeLoad=1&pageCode=s

I've only really got one pair of shoes that need them currently - my Mr Hare King Tubbies. Though I imagine I can stick them into my Lanvin's also so don't mind buying a few. Also, I will be buying one or two pair of Grenson's soon enough.

Just not sure which tree's to go with?

Last edited:

lennier

Reaction score

Saw some suits and sport coats at Calibre when I was in Melbourne that I rather liked the look of. I was unsure if they were worth full retail though, so I wondered if anyone knew of an outlet, or whether I should just hold out for a sale...
Cheers

Nothing from Calibre is worth full retail. Or even close to it. Don't know of an outlet though, sorry.

jmills

Reaction score
I've never been able to get a dimple, even though I've tried poking and prodding the knot as the internet advises... maybe it's not possible or easy with unknown David Jones ties of poor construction.

I meant to get some from HC before the sale ends!

Last edited:

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought a nice jacket and shirt from Calibre before and I am perfectly happy with them.

That said, I didn't pay retail as both were on sale. Jacket about $450 from $700 and shirt $90 from $130.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
Where would one acquire such a device? I would definately leave it on, as is. I'd imagine it could come in handy for a night on the tiles GC style....

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's recommended from endless as far as shoe tree's are concerned?

http://www.endless.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ywords=shoe tree&isFirstTimeLoad=1&pageCode=s

I've only really got one pair of shoes that need them currently - my Mr Hare King Tubbies. Though I imagine I can stick them into my Lanvin's also so don't mind buying a few. Also, I will be buying one or two pair of Grenson's soon enough.

Just not sure which tree's to go with? 

If you search back through the thread I posted quite a bit on this subject

In brief, do a search for "Woodlore" on endless for a listing of all trees.

Epics - Boots/Shoes, must be reasonably wide and with a high vamp and heel or they won't fit, adjustable
Ultras - Boots/Shoes, not as wide as the Epic, still need a high vamp to fit properly, adjustable
Adjustable - Shoes, adjustable in toe, very narrow heel piece, don't like the drawstring on these
Combination - good tree to buy for future purchases as it will fit most anything
Full Toe - My choice for Allen Edmonds shoes, will work well in anything that is similar (reas. narrow, low vamp).

Go the woodlore site to see the size chart.

The only thing I have no experience with is the "boot trees", they are shaped kind of funny though.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detail above. I'll read back also.

Perhaps a dumb question, but is the vamp the rise of the top of your foot?

I've been told I am both a G fit in width and have a high x for the top of my foot. High arches as well.

The shoe in question. Mr Hare King Tubby. At the moment I am stuffing them with the firm tissue they came with.

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes that is the vamp.

I think the epic or ultra would fit in shoes like that just fine. It's more of an issue with stiff leather shoes, particularly ones that are narrow and with a low vamp/instep (ie many of AEs own shoes), and also oxfords where the tongue is attached to the shoe on one side (also many of AE's shoes) since this means that the laces won't give as much to accommodate a tree with a raised midsection like the epic or ultra.

You can take a look at the side on pictures here to visualise whether they'll fit your shoes http://www.woodlore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=woodlore&Category_Code=Shoe-Trees-M

Personally I think it'd be a bit silly to "stock up" with shoe trees all of the same style, unless you know you'll pretty much stick to one manufacturer and last in future.

Better to buy a few styles to be prepared for whatever you purchase. Better to have a tree that mostly fits your shoe that one that doesn't fit at all.

Last edited:

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good information guys. Thanks. And I agree that buying in bulk simply because of a cheap price on tree's is not smart.

Though by the sounds of what has been said above, it sounds like the Epic or Ultra will fit the Hare's well. Not as sure about the Grenson's which I plan on buying. The Grenson's are not as flat or 'duck bill' like in the toes.

I don't wear formal shoes often (races, weddings only) and am yet to buy myself a nice pair of dress shoes. Got some Imperial Floorsheim which are a few years old presently for this purpose. Thanks again.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the detail above. I'll read back also. 

Perhaps a dumb question, but is the vamp the rise of the top of your foot?
I've been told I am both a G fit in width and have a high x for the top of my foot. High arches as well. 

The shoe in question. Mr Hare King Tubby. At the moment I am stuffing them with the firm tissue they came with. 

See the diagrams. I've got what is roughly the same foot - wide at ball of foot (compared to "standard" size) and a high arch or really a high foot compared to average for that size.

To add to the confusion USA sizes and letters are different to UK and in UK sizes different companies use different letters for average and wide etc.

When sizing shoes - they all vary by shape of last and different manufacturers.

A different last in same size may work. Or an open laced shoe vs a closed lace will often allow extra across the throat line.

A wider shoe may not in fact be much, if any, wider.
But it may just have extra volume around the higher part or /and ball therefore giving you more room.

So going down half a size but in a wider fit, say 9F UK down to 8.5G UK may solve a width/height problem. Or going up in volume to a 9G might help.

I'm not sure if you are saying they are a bit tight and you are trying to stretch them?

If so - they look to be suede and also open laced. One of the great things about suede is that it is soft and easily conforms to your foot. And open laced will allow a bit of room. As will the chukka lacing of only 3 holes.

Unless they are feeling very narrow and you are worried about your footsies popping out over the sole. A bit doesn't matter but too much can look odd.

Just wear them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads