• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From personal experience, I believe that the width of your tie (and for that matter, the width of your lapels) should correlate to the width of your shoulders.
The skinniest I would go is 6-6.5 cm IF we're talking knit ties. For all other ties, 7 cm is acceptable, but my ideal width is between 8-9cm.
Proportion is key, and all decisions concerning length and width should be slaved to it.

Also depends on width at or around the knot and all the way down.

Too skinny up top looks wrong no matter what the width at tip.

6cm is ok if its straight all the way up/down - 6 cm at bottom and thinner up top looks unbalanced.

If you are wearing a jacket mostly buttoned up then the bottom width doesn't matter much at all - no one will see it.

If not wearing a jacket in summer then a 6.5 - 7 cm almost straight all the way down knit tie is preferable.

I'm embarrassed to admit this but a few weeks ago I counted my ties, and re-reorganised and tossed a few, they range from 9cm to 6cm.

I'm even more embarrassed to admit that the other day, despite my best educational efforts and despite a generally good record, the Ms mused aloud that she thought very thin black leather ties looked ok.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gerry - peak lapels on a dark grey look good.

Only thing against peak lapels is that a lot of the fashion forward stuff has them done badly and depending how many are you around it devalues the look.

Think also of a vest. Not so much for winter - but to wear in summer around office etc sans jacket.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You know me well - I really liked it the moment I saw that pic.

The vest sounds like a great idea. Thanks, fxh. I love the illustrations you've been posting as well.

For wearing without jacket you might give a thought to having the vest with self material all round - and a bit longer and straight at back, eg not lining material on back and shoulders - outside. More like a jacket without sleeves. Not so tightly fitted as the usual vest.

I think that in Melbourne - for winter outside,commuting etc, you can do most things with an overcoat, a vest isn't needed for a business suit outside for warmth ( I'm discounting the look at the moment)

For inside it will nearly always be too hot for a jacket and vest worn together.

A suit - vest and tie should work well inside a business environment. Not casual, still references the whole suit, frames the tie, gives a top to shoe coherence, with a nod to summer and slightly relaxed with shirt sleeves.

I only have odd vests at the moment for the purpose. I don't like them under a jacket on me.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are some shots of the G&H sports coat and a sibling...

]

Selvaggio - it looks a lot better than your description. Not as countrified at all.

That houndstooth/puppytooth black and white is classic 60s. Nice.

Grey narrow flat front pants, no cuff, black chelsea boots, white tab collar, black knit tie. Then off to dance the Bus-Stop, Swim.

If it was me I'd carefully unpick those elbow patches.

Last edited:

Sceps

Reaction score
These pics are making me glad I went peak lapels. Although I'm putting myself on a suit and shirt ban till autumn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics