1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilmour

Gilmour Senior member

Cheers thanks for info
    Thank you for these checking out now.

2. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

WTF has happened to this thread? The quality of discussion has dramatically fallen over the last couple of months to the point where it seems that every page is now littered with complaints about pricing (or some random one line open question). Not wanting to point the finger, but this activity is seemly to be coming from the newer forum members.

You’re either willing to pay for a product at a particular price point or not. If you’re not, it’s really not necessary to share with us your gripes over, and over again.

I also think it’s in rather poor taste to be opening discussing the profit margins of other members who are offering great products and services that is obviously lacking in the Australian market, and let’s not forget are great forum contributors. Again, you either are willing and able to pay, or you’re not.

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Ever wanted to wear super sleek shoes but didn't have the properly shaped feet? A solution is at hand!
    Quote: On another note, I'm wearing my Henry Carter gingham shirt, HC orange knit tie and blue PJ suit. Only thing missing is RMs on my feet!

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  4. fxh

fxh Senior member

5. Romp

Romp Senior member

Just to clarify - my markups are actually pretty slim just so i can reach a price point that most people would deem reasonable to pay. This started as a hobby for myself and my business partner sourcing stuff that we'd personally want to wear day to day but not easily available in Australia.

We only work with small workshops, nothing is mass produced, a person cuts and sews each garment rather than a machine.

To illustrate a point - my shirts are from the same guy who makes Sid Mashburn shirts but

We
    1) do much lower volumes = +10% due to no terms
    2) Have to pay huge shipping costs to get the garments to Australia = +10-15% of the garment
    3) Pay GST + customs duties on the items = +15%
    4) Pay FX conversion and intl payment +5%

Yet I still try to keep a similar price point or $5-10 less than Sid because I think that's all the market is willing to pay for our relatively new brand's products.

The hard thing is that because our margins are small, all money is reinvested into next season's stock so we never actually pay ourself for doing all of this work but its something we enjoy as a hobby, hopefully it will grow after a few years to a stage that will actually benefit us.

I could very easily go and source lower quality, higher margin product but we wouldnt be happy selling it and would lose interest quickly. We actually REALLY enjoy running O&J.

3 people like this.
  6. elvish

elvish Senior member

Syd & Bris

i am shipping some goods from the states if anyone is interested in joining my proxy. i'll be using RKD from the forum.
    PM me if interested

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Same here Rob (and well written btw).

I still work full time outside of the business and will be for the foreseeable future, probably put in around 30 hours to the business as well so as far as profit to time ratio goes, you'd be better off investing your money in property than starting a business in clothing. But that's not why we do it. I also personally get a lot more satisfaction having and building my own brand rather than on-selling better known labels which is a lot easier, but our way is the harder road and I like it like that.

At the end of the day, unless you own a big business like Industrie, (and I use that example because I just read this morning that it's owners have just bought a $15 million home in point piper or something) then there is not much chance of getting rich selling clothes.

1 person likes this.
  8. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

You could rent clothes to people.

Rent-A-Swag

If you caught the latest episode of Parks & Recreation you'll know what I'm talking about :)

9. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Checkstar, no offense, but if you can't spend 20 seconds reading something, don't have a big whinge about it.

Someone (DR) talked about a new AUSTRALIAN SHOE SHOP that is being established.
    Someone else said that given THE AUSTRALIAN RETAIL SCENE it is likely to fail. EDIT: PoP to be precise.
    A discussion about WHY THAT AUSTRALIAN SHOP will not do well followed. (JM, myself, TBM, PoP).

IT IS 100% RELATED TO THIS THREAD.

Everything that has been discussed has related specifically to Australia, shoes in particular and a new Australian shop. I am sorry, but your not the dictator around here, if you don't like talking about Australian shops or you don't like talking about shoes, then please leave. Otherwise, stop whinging.

No one has complained about pricing you stirrer. In the last 200 pages I have not seen one post that has insinuated that something is overpriced and is not worth the money. People have caps on what they can spend. If someone asks for a $300 jacket, that is what they can spend. Don't have a bitch because you can spend $500 and they can't. I never had a whinge about O&J pricing, I was justifying it. O&J was used in an analogous argument, you probably don't know what that is, in fact you have probably stopped reading by now.

I am sorry that your 'precious thread' has been degraded so much that you are having a bitch. I have read the first 400 pages and the content was very similar to what it is now. Some of the more experienced members in the past have asked very similar questions to the newer members. So drink your high tea and carry on, sister.

10. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Meanwhile, Clarke doesn't give a shit and is stockpiling the runs.

Any word on Steyn's condition? I hope he's back on the field very soon. Really do rate Dale.

11. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

And that was my point. Newer shops should focus on building their own brands rather than on-selling better known labels. Hence, that high-end new shoe shop that on-sells is likely not to do well because the product can be bought online for cheaper. That was my reply to another member's post. Sweet jesus.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Alright, everyone. Calm down. We're just talking about clothing here, not international relations.

On the other hand, if someone was to come along and say that the neo-realist school better represented the current state of geopolitics as opposed to the neo-liberal school, then I'd have no option but to get really upset - to say nothing of the English school or the Marxist school!

13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Yes, but what's your view on kinky winsets?

14. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Yeah, lighten up folks.

Q: What do you call 500 Indian men with no nipples?

A: The Indianippleless 500

Probably be labelled racist now, and will feature on Youtube soon.

15. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Fuck that, this thread just turned into the Gaza strip.

I am wearing my double-breasted combat suit. I suggest you do the same.

16. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

The Gaza Strip? Think I saw that at Men's gallery the other night.

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

A Gaza Strip?

I thought that was something that Arab ladies had done to their nether regions at the beauty salon...

18. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Phew, I thought my mate Gazza was acting silly again.

19. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

20. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Honestly, I wasn't going to bother responding, only because its clearly obvious from your posting history that you will always like to get the last word in. But that said, it wasn't I only a month ago carrying on about how cheap I could pick up a PJohnson jacket from B&S, and then engage in a PM conversation justifying your offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.