• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Beatles pics are more than 50 years old*.

I think it still looks good - even if you wouldn't wear it now.

Narrow pants, high rise, narrow ties, highwater (ish) pants, short ish jackets - current.

Main thing that makes it look NOT 2012 is the Chelsea boots and hard 3 or 4 button jackets and almost exclusively white shirts..

*Poetic license - they are from '64/'65

Last edited:

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Gerry Nelson; great fitting suit. gaddamn you have massif hands!!

Plestor

Reaction score

Well it sounded like he had some basics covered with mid greys and blues (do you have a navy?). If not then sure get some more versatile basics:)

(yes)
Given he has

Mid grey
Mid grey pin
Navy (Possibly a shade light to be called navy but I'll give it the benifit of the doubt)
Black*

*Which hes mentioned he'd rather not wear.

I'd suggest that in this case basics would be the better option than 2 patterned/ textured suits in 4(5).

Seeing the Navy/Blue suit only confirmed my choice.

Even with more suits than this I'd strongly consider seasonality^ before I went off onto say checks (of any type).

^Obviously you'll get some texture here.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it sounded like he had some basics covered with mid greys and blues (do you have a navy?). If not then sure get some more versatile basics:)

I've got a badly fitting navy suit which I've retired so for all intents and purposes, the answer is no
smile.gif

Thanks! Yes, I've got big hands - really helped when I was playing the piano!

(yes)
Given he has
Mid grey
Mid grey pin
Navy (Possibly a shade light to be called navy but I'll give it the benifit of the doubt)
Black*
I'd suggest that in this case basics would be the better option than 2 patterned/ textured suits in 4(5).
Even with more suits than this I'd strongly consider seasonality^ before I went off onto say checks (of any type).

My preference is for a patterned odd jacket rather than a patterned suit. Anyway, based on its intended use, my gut feel is to go for a solid dark colour and add patterns in via the shirt/tie/handkerchief.

Plestor

Reaction score

I've got a badly fitting navy suit which I've retired so for all intents and purposes, the answer is no :)

Thanks! Yes, I've got big hands - really helped when I was playing the piano!

(yes)

Given he has

Mid grey

Mid grey pin

Black*

My preference is for a patterned odd jacket rather than a patterned suit. Anyway, based on its intended use, my gut feel is to go for a solid dark colour and add patterns in via the shirt/tie/handkerchief.

+1 (with the edit, I don't even own a patterned shirt)

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Narrow pants, high rise, narrow ties, highwater (ish) pants, short ish jackets - current.
Main thing that makes it look NOT 2012 is the Chelsea boots and hard 3 or 4 button jackets and almost exclusively white shirts..

I have absolutely no idea why this forum hates narrow ties though. Is it because there is an over-representation of aging overweight people on the MC?

Last edited:

suitedcboy

Reaction score
That's odd, in my visits here my observations would be thate SF hates wider ties.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Main thing that makes it look NOT 2012 is the Chelsea boots
and hard 3 or 4 button jackets and almost exclusively white shirts..

lol wut.

do you mean the atrocious doublemonks are todays chelseas? no?

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have absolutely no idea why this forum hates narrow ties though. Is it because there is an over-representation of aging overweight people on the MC?

I'd say that thinner ties, and I mean under 7cm's are interpreted as fashion items and 8-9cm is more classic, hence why they aren't that popular. I wore some thinner ones around 6cm about 3-4 years ago, probably when I still read GQ rather than Monocle (or style forum)! There is also the proportion argument of having reasonably slimmer lapels if you are wearing thinner ties too and most thin lapeled suits are fairly fashion forward too, and not favoured on here.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think, each to his own. i have a mix of skinny through to classic sizes. otherwise we'd be drones if we all wore 8-9cm ties

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm thinking about a charcoal/dark grey suit similar to the colour of one on the left for my next PJ commission. Right now I have the following suits - blue, mid-grey, mid-grey pinstripe, black. The latter only gets used for funerals now so thankfully - worn very little (and I hope it bloody well stays that way!). The upcoming weddings I'm attending have made me realise that aside from the black one, I don't actually own any dark suits.

I've had the blue suit for awhile now and it's gotten a fair bit of use as a suit as well as separately. It perfectly fills a gap in my wardrobe and feels extremely comfortable. In fact, the only downside to this suit is that I like it so much that I may be in danger of wearing it too much. I even want to wear the thing on weekends. I'd even be perfectly happy wearing it around the house to be honest - that's how comfortable it is. It will be exciting if I can get a similar result but in a darker grey. Thinking back, to the process, what worked really well was to think about exactly what I wanted in a suit, let Tom know and trust that he'd deliver the goods. I'm pleased to say that he delivered on all counts.

I'd even go so far as to say that the blue PJ is the best suit I've ever owned.

There's nothing that I would change about the fit for the next one except maybe to try peak lapels this time.

Thoughts?

I think you're on the right track.

I'd just make sure to keep it quite conservative business dress, as dark gray is very much a sober conservative business dress shade. This means a welted breast pocket and flapped and welted hip pockets with dark horn buttons; not patch pockets, lighter horn buttons, or any other rusticating elements. I'd also go with a hardier Dugdale Bros worsted farbric and not an LP wool twill. Trust me, it sounds boring, but really it makes for a very versatile suit.

I'd do side tabs with the pants; no belt loops. As always, a pair of spare pants is recommended!

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From personal experience, I believe that the width of your tie (and for that matter, the width of your lapels) should correlate to the width of your shoulders.

The skinniest I would go is 6-6.5 cm IF we're talking knit ties. For all other ties, 7 cm is acceptable, but my ideal width is between 8-9cm.

Proportion is key, and all decisions concerning length and width should be slaved to it.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're on the right track.
I'd just make sure to keep it quite conservative business dress, as dark gray is very much a sober conservative business dress shade. This means a welted breast pocket and flapped and welted hip pockets with dark horn buttons; not patch pockets, lighter horn buttons, or any other rusticating elements. I'd also go with a hardier Dugdale Bros worsted farbric and not an LP wool twill. Trust me, it sounds boring, but really it makes for a very versatile suit.
I'd do side tabs with the pants; no belt loops. As always, a pair of spare pants is recommended!

Thanks, CEP. The trousers for the PJ suit have side tabs, brace buttons and no belt loops. After wearing this for awhile, I really do think it's the way to go.

Thanks for the thoughts - what you write makes a lot of sense and it's kind of what I had in mind but without the details. I think Lennier and CHECKstar have similar suits as well and that may have well been the reason my thoughts were heading that way.

In any case, I know exactly where I will be using this suit and that's guiding me in the direction you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads